Opinion Fan misery index by team supported

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather be Freo than Saints...

Saints last (and only) flag - 1966 (56 years).

Last GF appearance - 2010.

Ponder that for a moment.

It's grim. Freo have a long way yet to hit that misery score.

again post. Saints have won 1 flag. Freo has won zero. your posting is flawed as usual

again post. Saints have won 1 flag. Freo has won zero. your posting is flawed as usual
The posting is fine.. your comprehension is flawed.

I don't think you understand the system.
If we want to have a simple flag ladder to measure success- we already have that.

For a Saints fan born after 1955 there is no joy from the 1966 flag. It's just a number on a page.

For those born pre 1955 the joy has diminished with time.

A present day Saints fan has endured more misery than a Freo fan. It's obvious.

If we want to have a simple flag ladder to measure success- we already have that.

For a Saints fan born after 1955 there is no joy from the 1966 flag. It's just a number on a page.

your posting is crap.

Again, How many flags/premierships has freo won?

your posting is crap.

Again, How many flags/premierships has freo won?
It's not a flag ladder.
We already have them.
What would be the point regurgitating that?

It is not the longitudinal total of all misery..

Its current misery of current fans.

Are you upset that the index has Freo as third most miserable and you want them to be number one most miserable ?

Odd and petty thing thing to argue over.
Do you covet the top position on this ladder?

Last edited:
It's not a flag ladder.
We already have them.
What would be the point regurgitating that?

It is not the longitudinal total of all misery..

Its current misery of current fans.

Are you dense?

Also unclear what Ur actual gripe is?

Are you upset that the index has Freo as third most miserable and you want them to be number one most miserable ?

Odd and petty thing thing to argue over.
Do you covet the top position on this ladder?
you dont get constantly reminded of having no premierships..... there for i am miserable.

I am a south Adelaide fan n the SANFL.. Their last premiership is 1964. It doesnt bother me that badly as they have won 11 flags.

Spot on.

Zilch. They been through torture I imagine.
Imagine being a Demons fan that was baby boomer and grew up in late 60's and 70's. They saw no finals until 87, NONE!!! Then they go on a magical ride in 87 to make their first finals in their whole life of following, only to see Eishold miss from 5 metres out in prelim final and Jimmy Stynes goes over the mark at siren to allow Buckenara whom is a great kick to get within kicking distance to slam it through and end their dreams in horror that year of the Robbie Flower who went through all the years of no finals have his career end on that note. Then they do make a grand final and humbled by biggest losing margin in grand final to that point. Then make another grand final in 2000 and also destroyed. Also, they would be the only supporter to have seen their team lose a game by 190 points in late 70's and then 189 points over two decades later. They also lived through the horror of losing a player to a Tsunami that had just got married and then lose the wonderful Jimmy Stynes to cancer.
It is not even a close thing. The poor Demons fans that has been living through all this for over four decades of this misery has my sympathy of what they had to put through and still follow their team every year.
Over seven months since I posted this.
So happy for all the Demon fans that lived through so much misery in late 70's, all of 80's , 90's and onto now to finally experience the ultimate joy of your team finally a premiership team and, AND, doing it in style...
Well done all you long time faithful Demon fans. Could not be happier for you.

I don’t have a lifetime of misery as we win heaps of games.

It’s just September.

Since I’ve been born we’ve made the finals 33 times for just 2 flags.

…. and both flags were won in October due to finals being drawn & replayed.

So for years in finals with September Grand Finals we are 0 from 31.

There have been other october GF’s aside from those 2. 2011, 2015, 2016 and last year.

you dont get constantly reminded of having no premierships..... there for i am miserable.

I am a south Adelaide fan n the SANFL.. Their last premiership is 1964. It doesnt bother me that badly as they have won 11 flags.
So you care too much about what other people say, and you feel happy about stuff that happened before you were born. Right.

I don’t have a lifetime of misery as we win heaps of games.

It’s just September.

Since I’ve been born we’ve made the finals 33 times for just 2 flags.

…. and both flags were won in October due to finals being drawn & replayed.

So for years in finals with September Grand Finals we are 0 from 31.
You've made many more GFs than the Swans, but we actually have a worse GF W/L ratio than you guys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump and update

Saints 33
Blues 26
Freo 24
North 23
Bombers 22
Lions 19
Port 18
Swans 18
Crows 15
Pies 12
GWS 9
Hawks 7
Geelong 6
Bulldogs 3
Eagles 3
Richmond 2
Melbourne 1

Dees now the happiest current fans in the AFL on (1) on the misery index.

Saints now officially the most miserable.

Blues 2nd most miserable.
Formula needs some tweaking.

Sydney should be somewhere around the Geelong and Hawthorn level. 2 flags this century. Almost always competitive and good value. No one who supports Sydney is saying they've bought them misery are they?

St Kilda and Carlton the clear top 2 now. A question of whether you prefer a long premiership drought and heartache of 09/10 or Carlton's sustained period of slop. Both are soul crushing.

Freo then a standalone 3rd with a gap to North and Essendon.

I reckon Adelaide belong above Port and Brisbane now too. Longer drought and a hard 5 years since the 2017 grand final for the Crows.

Hawthorns would be rising at a rapid rate. Give us another 5 years and we might be in the top half of this makeshift ladder

Not if you've followed the Hawks since 1968 as I have. In that time I've witnessed 12 premierships. Even if we never win another in my lifetime, I've had a pretty good run :)

Formula needs some tweaking.

Sydney should be somewhere around the Geelong and Hawthorn level. 2 flags this century. Almost always competitive and good value. No one who supports Sydney is saying they've bought them misery are they?

St Kilda and Carlton the clear top 2 now. A question of whether you prefer a long premiership drought and heartache of 09/10 or Carlton's sustained period of slop. Both are soul crushing.

Freo then a standalone 3rd with a gap to North and Essendon.

I reckon Adelaide belong above Port and Brisbane now too. Longer drought and a hard 5 years since the 2017 grand final for the Crows.

I'd look to tweak the formula
- something to get misery index into negative numbers for back to back or premierships near to each other (thinking geelong 07-09-11); maybe a flag resets counter to zero or subtracts another 5 (whichever gets the number lower) - so richmond would be in negative misery
- more misery for being bottom 4 (say 2 points) and wooden spoon (3 points)
- making finals the first time could be a 0 misery year, then each time you progress forward (win final/ prelim) that adds zero to total
- making grand final and losing - the first time in a flag drought - halves your exisiting misery - but after this would add 1 extra misery point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back