Toast Farewell Phil Davis - Inaugural Giants Co-Captain retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Phil Davis, inaugural co-captain of the GWS Giants, retires effective immediately after round 23 of the 2023 season.

An outstanding person, player, competitor, teammate and mentor. Thanks for all that you brought to a new club, and all the best on your future journey - which I am sure will be highly rewarding.

PD.png

Thank You Phil

Inaugural GIANTS co-captain Phil Davis has announced his retirement.
www.gwsgiants.com.au

One of the most influential figures in the GIANTS’ history, Phil Davis, has announced his retirement, effective immediately.

The 32-year-old retires after 192 games across 15 seasons at the elite level and proudly serving as co-captain of the club from the GIANTS’ first-ever game in 2012 through to the 2019 Grand Final. Davis’ impact on the club cannot be measured, after joining the GIANTS as one of the club’s first uncontracted players in late 2011 at the age of 21. He was originally drafted to the Adelaide Crows at pick 10 in the 2008 national draft.

The GIANTS thank Davis for his immeasurable contribution to building the club, with GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews paying tribute to the stalwart. “It’s hard to put into words what Phil means to our club,” Mr Matthews said. “When we were building the GIANTS, we were looking to bring in quality players but also quality people for us to build a club and culture around. Phil has exemplified that from day one – and then some – as he’s built the GIANTS to where we are today. He is revered as one of the best leaders in the game and he, along with Callan Ward, truly set our club up for success from the very early days. Together they set high standards, drove a family culture, and led us through every challenge. We should also never underestimate the quality of football Phil played over a long period of time. His courage and determination can never be questioned as he came back from a life-threatening kidney injury to take on – and consistently beat – some of the best key forwards we’ve seen in the game. He got everything out of himself as a player, and as a person he leaves a lasting legacy. He should be immensely proud of everything he’s achieved in his career.”

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
Couldn't see a thread, but I'm popping in to pay tribute to Phil Davis. A modern leader, both on and off the field, who epitomises the footy club. One of the many things GWS got right during the challenging early days.

One of the best key defenders of the generation.
His battles with Buddy, his leadership on and off the field.

Pity about injuries as he deserved to at least hit 200.

Don’t think many players come on but if he does. Thanks for all you have done for our club and how, with Ward, you lead us through the early years and the finals.

PHIL Davis may not have added to his 192 AFL games in 2023 but he is adamant the year has been a hugely fulfilling one as he called time on his distinguished career at the top.

The former Crow and inaugural Giants skipper signed on for one more season at the end of 2022 but failed to break into the AFL side as his body challenged him and the Giants' backline stabilised into one of the best in the competition. The South Australian has always been more than just a leader and champion player at GWS though, he has been a chief creator of their culture and that's a status he maintained right until the end.

"A big part of me thought last year was going to be my last year, I'm sure during this year many people thought I should have called it quits but that's a different lens to look at it with," he said. "I came back to see if I had anything left in me, I still found that competitive want. At times the body didn't help me out, but it really crystallised the passion I have for people and development and to cultivate a successful culture here. To become superseded and unnecessary at a football club is a nice feeling to have."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back