#fave7horses , group races and best horses ever discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 Emirates :p
original.gif

Yea I tend to disagree with this. Most burnt out 2 year olds are either wrongly managed or mis-understood. Horses like capitalist and Vancouver in the last two years just were ready to race from an early age. Most trainers say oh we thought she'd be an Autumn 3 year old but in most cases they just don't improve. Also 2 year old racing can actually greatly improve longevity in horses for musco-skeletal adjustment which doesn't happen as effectively at an older age. There's 0 data to support that 2 year olds have shorter life spans, quite the opposite in fact on an elite scale that transfers that we are not losing elite 3yo talents just the quick developers.
If they had less races to aim for then they would be managed better. i dont know much about horse physiology and you may be right, but the good 2 year olds will win their races, but the lesser 2 year olds might be left to mature for their right races.

Its funny watching the old Australasian racing years'videos but the number of horses which did the circuits as 2 & 3yos was amazing. Maybe the needle had something to do with it I don't know!

Magic Millions provides to much to QLD so it won't be going anywhere except getting bigger!

Our recent champions generally did little or were very lightly raced 2yos (BC, SYT, Winx, Diva)

#inb4samplesize

Most were lightly performed 3yo's too? time to scrap the classics?

they really aren't that different to any other athletes. some are Lewis Taylors, ready to play from day 1 (often similar size to Lewis too) and others like Fyfe, who wasn't known at AFL level until 21-22 and playing div 3 for his school the year before his draft. people get angry and blame management because they don't come on and deliver on their hype but it's just what they are and what they've been bred to be.they've been bred for that reason because of purely demand due to our completely different demographic of owners to international jurisdictions, where we are large groups of people wanting a faster return rather than a lot of old money singular owners in it for the long run.

1200m - Blue Diamond/Slipper
1600m - Champagne

to get this thread back on track this reminded me of vain, favourite horse i never got to see. won 2 of these and the diamond wasn't even around yet so include the VRC sires produce instead. did everything a champion could do bar finishing un-defeated. ended with a 2 and 3 year old season that probably won't ever be beat.

Its funny watching the old Australasian racing years'videos but the number of horses which did the circuits as 2 & 3yos was amazing. Maybe the needle had something to do with it I don't know!

Magic Millions provides to much to QLD so it won't be going anywhere except getting bigger!
The only thing the Magic Millions provides is money in GErry Harveys wallet.
Worst concept for racing ever.

impossible to do but somewhere between 2nd and 6th ish. She's probably the best from Aus but even that's not clear cut. then where do Man o' War, Zenyatta and Secretariat fit in. then the rest of the euros.

secretariat.
this is just plainly unbelievable doesn't matter what the opposition was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shamus Award was a good 2 and 3 year old, would have liked to see him at 4
As a 2yo he didn't win a race. A few placings in decent races, but still...

Last edited:
And while we are on choking Aussies at the Olympics. this is Crisp in the 1973 Grand National. he was carrying some ridiculous weight compared to red rum. its heartbreaking watching this

I'm pretty sure the jockey who rode him wasn't aussie

impossible to do but somewhere between 2nd and 6th ish. She's probably the best from Aus but even that's not clear cut. then where do Man o' War, Zenyatta and Secretariat fit in. then the rest of the euros.
Should be a whole other thread for discussing the all-time best. I'd imagine it would need to be in tiers, as numbered ranking would be almost impossible.

Where u got Black Caviar in that list? Best ever that is.

Australia best easily - possibly not in top 5 all time globally given she comes from the weakest/least respected division (sprinting) - but then its hard to make those kind of comparisons.

Zenyatta nowhere near it given that all but one of her races where against mares only? (maybe wrong)

Plus I generally strike all yanks from the record on my top lists :D #loldirt #loldrugfest

I'm sure the old times in America would have a few of their own above Zenyatta.

Secretariat definitely top 5 all time though I would have thought (globally)

And while we are on choking Aussies at the Olympics. this is Crisp in the 1973 Grand National. he was carrying some ridiculous weight compared to red rum. its heartbreaking watching this

This along with SYT's Arc probably the two most heartbreaking runs of all time :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back