Analysis Fielding a team of 100+ gamers

Remove this Banner Ad

Winter

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Come finals time we could conceivably have 18 blokes on the field, all with 100+ games experience. Would be interested to know if this has ever happened before? While very unlikely due to the likes of Tarrant, McDonald and Brown being key players, an interesting exercise all the same:

Firrito, Thompson, Wright
Atley, Hansen, Macmillan*
Gibson*, Wells, Dal Santo
Ziebell, Waite, Higgins
Harvey, Petrie, Thomas
Goldstein, Swallow, Cunnington

100+ game rookies: Nahas & Ray

* Gibson has played 90, Macmillan 86

So called experts have said that you need the majority of a team to get that 100-120 games under their belts before the player really hit their straps.......our time is now folks.

If we did not at least have a few 'rookies' in our best 22 come finals time, it would be extremely disappointing.
They dont necessary have to be playing in the best 22 come finals time but they need to have had some form of playing exposure during the season to give them the experience and to rest / freshen up some players who need to be given a spell from the rigors of footy.

Managed to work it out:

9lWpCqH.png

I took all the guys yet to play a game as didn't think it made sense to count them. If they're in there it's about 93, however Id'd say the most consistent number is the 118.

If you take Harvey out, it's about 108. Right in the sweet spot.

I don't subscribe to this.

I'm interested in winning a premiership in 2016, if this means we play our most experienced side so be it.

Ok, lets put out our most experienced side with Rarren Fay in it and see how close we get to a premiership.

Ok, lets put out our most experienced side with Rarren Fay in it and see how close we get to a premiership.

If our older players continue to play better football than our rookies in 2016, why would you exchange them in the team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't subscribe to this.

I'm interested in winning a premiership in 2016, if this means we play our most experienced side so be it.
This.

If a kid is tearing the VFL apart then by all means bring them in, but no giving games to anyone because what their birth certificate says. Let them earn their spot and actually appreciate it more when they get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back