Fish and Chips - The dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I am happy to put my hand up and say that I am more than fond of the more than an occasional serve of fish and chips. Not a Catholic, though married into a Catholic family so the concept of the Friday night serve of fish and chips sits very comfortably with me.

Back in my younger days I was partial to them on more than just a Friday.

And the best fish and chips always seemed to be served by those who originally migrated from Greece. I used to work in a branch of NAB in Melville Road, Brunswick West back in the 1980's and next door to us was one of the best versions of fish and chips shop I have ever encountered. And when I/we went in there all too often for lunch they were always very generous in their serves.

(On the other side of us was a GP who it was rumoured pioneered the art of making a fistful of dollars from Medicare, but thats a a story for another place.)

Anyway here is my dilemma. It seems that another ethnic group of the Asian variety have taken over all of the fish and chips shop in our locality.

And they do not know how to cook them properly. :mad:

They cook ripping chinese food but they can't cook fish and chips.

It is an absolute disgrace. What can be done about it?

The issue with the Chinese (and any of their other Asian counterparts) is, when they attempt the 'Australian' side of their menus, they seem to have a strict aversion to replacing oil regularly so occasionally you get lucky with fresh, tasty fish/chips but mostly you get overcooked bad tasting fare.

What can be done about it?

In short, firebomb their kitchens.

It's not hard to cook chips properly.

They only have 3 colours really. Uncooked, golden brown and burnt.

Finding that sweet spot in the middle seems impossible for some fish&chips shops.

The problem is that rather than complain people just want them to be cooked right the first time.

If you complain you feel like you're developing a bad relationship with the owners and all your food is going to get a side of saliva from then on :p

Friday night fish and chips for me for as long as I can remember, but I've got to drive 'miles' to get some decent fish. There are 2 fish shops in my immediate area (with traditional cooks) and their fish is rubbish.

I go further to be served by an Aussie. Not because he's an Aussie, but because the fish is beautiful.

The surviving fish shops are family businesses. Long hours, low margins, plenty of cash. Keep it in the family. Loose lips sink ships.

Horace will know what I mean.;)

There is a F & C shop on Koornang Rd run by Asians which is close to the best I've ever had. There are also two others, one of which can be good to average and the other use motor oil to cook with I believe.

Asians making coffee is one thing that I have an issue with. Terrible.

The secret to good Fish and Chips is using flake (gummy) as the fish. Best tasting fish in the world. Also the batter. The batter needs to be thin, not overtaking the fish itself. The best in my area is in Ferguson St Williamstown owned by a Lebanese family. In fact it's been in their family for a long time.

Friday night fish and chips for me for as long as I can remember, but I've got to drive 'miles' to get some decent fish. There are 2 fish shops in my immediate area (with traditional cooks) and their fish is rubbish.

I go further to be served by an Aussie. Not because he's an Aussie, but because the fish is beautiful.

The surviving fish shops are family businesses. Long hours, low margins, plenty of cash. Keep it in the family. Loose lips sink ships.

Horace will know what I mean.;)

I do indeed. One might have been forgiven for wondering if the shop next to the NAB in Melville Road operated that way. Not that working in the bank next door would have given us a clue to that. :rolleyes:

My biggest issue with the new breed is the chips. They just don't do them nearly as well as the traditional people did them.

I forgot to add in my original post that we used to buy ours from Jungle Jims at Vermont South. Very good operators but sadly handed over to a contingent of Asians in January this year. Life has not been the same since. :mad:

I do indeed. One might have been forgiven for wondering if the shop next to the NAB in Melville Road operated that way. Not that working in the bank next door would have given us a clue to that. :rolleyes:

My biggest issue with the new breed is the chips. They just don't do them nearly as well as the traditional people did them.

I forgot to add in my original post that we used to buy ours from Jungle Jims at Vermont South. Very good operators but sadly handed over to a contingent of Asians in January this year. Life has not been the same since. :mad:

Pre-decimal currency I could get 4 potato cakes for 6d, served in the pages of the Age, from a fish shop in Reynards Road West Coburg. Now that's value! On Friday nights people would be 4 deep in the shop waiting to order, waiting for their food. Things have changed, as Bob Dylan would say.

Back in the late 70s I was working for a short time in a shop in Surrey Hills. The shopkeeper warned me against going to the fish shop next door for lunch. "It was filfthy" he said. He claimed he could see into their backyard over the back fence.

Little did he know that it was my local/favourite fish shop at the time and I just kept going there.

I figured the shopkeeper probably didn't like Greeks.

I lived next door to that NAB in '81 (before the house was converted to shonky doctor rooms) and agree that the fish and chips were great. The son eventually took over shop and I would drop in when passing and found the quality was still there. The last time was about 2 years ago and I have a feeling he was showing the ropes to some new (yes, Chinese) owners.

I hear that. Jungle Jim's used to be so good on your lunch break. Now, sadly, the serves are smaller and the chips, potato cakes and everything else deep fried is soggy and more often than not bland and tasteless :(

In saying that though, the new Thai restaurant next door is quality :thumbsu:

Looks like the old, humble fish n' chip shop will be replaced by Charcoal Chicken and the like. Not saying CC is bad, just a bit sad to see an old Aussie institution disappearing slowly.

I lived next door to that NAB in '81 (before the house was converted to shonky doctor rooms) and agree that the fish and chips were great. The son eventually took over shop and I would drop in when passing and found the quality was still there. The last time was about 2 years ago and I have a feeling he was showing the ropes to some new (yes, Chinese) owners.

I worked at the NAB from October 1983 to March 1987. The good doctor, shall we call him "Dr. A", was a good bloke.

And the waiting room was never empty.

One of my mates, who also worked at the NAB, cut his hand one day and rather foolishly as it turned out, consulted Dr. A for some stitching. Dr. A obliged and continued to munch on an apple while performing the surgery.

My mate was somewhat taken aback by this approach, but it was all free (bulk billing) and as my mate always liked a bargain, he put up with the somewhat novel approach to the job at hand. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back