Opinion Flag or flop?

romeohwho

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
8,205
8,342
AFL Club
Geelong
Many predictions were wrong, yet reality is we are 11-1 and should be finishing top 2. Got to win it from there. Preliminary for the 3rd time in 4 years doesn’t cut it. When you recruit Dangerfield, Ablett, touhy and company then a flag is good enough. Remember next year Kelly probably will go, Ablett year older, Dangerfield, Hawkins & Selwood a year older. Unfortunately whether we like it or not this is the year to get it done. Pressure is mounting. Champions take on the pressure and win!
Haha pressure- smessure -I don’t feel any pressure myself- it’s all just good, clean fun. Anything else is a real shifting of the goalposts from Geelong supporters who had us as a middling team this year-and that was most of us. I am betting absolutely nobody had us even close to being in this position before the year began, so I am pretty chuffed with what they have done so far. A good team that is building and plays an enjoyable brand of footy. The hoops look great. Much better to watch than say, Richmond.
Dangerfield( he’s only 29) and Ablett just came home- simple as that-bonus. Hawkins playing as well as he’s played for a few years- barring injuries he has a couple more years. But in the finals all those guys will be standing up, no worries. We are in with a chance at this point, as are several other teams. Long way to go-no need for big statements in June!
 
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2009
9,653
13,892
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Based on these stats it definitely will be a flop if we don’t win it!
I agree, and that's what David King has been saying too. Geelong have a gameplan that's caught the comp off guard and we really have this year to make the most of it with a flag because over the next preseason it'll be well and truly dissected. This is what has happened in the past when teams with new strategies (like the forward press, cluster, zoning etc.) present themselves in a season. The side who's doing it needs to capitalize that season before the rest of the comp catches up.
 

Mad_Hatter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2015
8,294
15,383
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree, and that's what David King has been saying too. Geelong have a gameplan that's caught the comp off guard and we really have this year to make the most of it with a flag because over the next preseason it'll be well and truly dissected. This is what has happened in the past when teams with new strategies (like the forward press, cluster, zoning etc.) present themselves in a season. The side who's doing it needs to capitalize that season before the rest of the comp catches up.
No we haven't, it isn't a style that's somehow different, it's just a balanced team playing to their strengths.
Taking the comp off guard would be producting something not seen before, this isn't true of this team.
 

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2009
9,653
13,892
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
No we haven't, it isn't a style that's somehow different, it's just a balanced team playing to their strengths.
Taking the comp off guard would be producing something not seen before, this isn't true of this team.
I think the way thier playing their forward structures is a new approach, or at least, hasn't been done in the modern era. I disagree with you there, and many others are saying so too so I'm not alone with that analysis.
 

Mad_Hatter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2015
8,294
15,383
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the way thier playing their forward structures is a new approach, or at least, hasn't been done in the modern era. I disagree with you there, and many others are saying so too so I'm not alone with that analysis.
Which is what?
Taking marks and applying pressure?
Kicking straight?
 

Stan The Caddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 26, 2013
7,813
10,534
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the way thier playing their forward structures is a new approach, or at least, hasn't been done in the modern era. I disagree with you there, and many others are saying so too so I'm not alone with that analysis.
Elaborate then...
 

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2009
9,653
13,892
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Which is what?
Taking marks and applying pressure?
Kicking straight?
I suggest you get a hold of a copy of Kingy talking about it on AFL360 monday night. He also talked about it in the pregame Friday night on Fox Footy and showed footage explaining how the Cats current forward structures is a new tactic. They talked about it Saturday morning on the radio ad nauseum too. I'm not going to explain it to you cos I can't be stuffed.
 

Selwood_14

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2008
575
396
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No we haven't, it isn't a style that's somehow different, it's just a balanced team playing to their strengths.
Taking the comp off guard would be producting something not seen before, this isn't true of this team.
It's not a style that's changed, nor is it just a balanced team, i truly believe it's a combination of both. It's the right players in the right spot which is where some of the balance does come from, but there seems to be an increased focus on efficiency going forward which is paying the biggest dividends.

Looking at the way Richmond and Melbourne have played the last couple of years with good success, there focus was on contested ball and just getting it forward however possible. These systems and players worked well, but watching them this year their lack of efficiency is killing them. Watching Melbourne play yesterday, so many quick kicks into their F50 were repelled by Pies players.

Geelong with Ablett, Duncan, Rohan and Tomahawk kicking the ball into the F50 have shown the way forward. Don't rush it, hold the ball up and pick a target in the right spot. Pretty bloody simple footy really but the other strengths of the team in the defence and good midfield pressure allow us to do that better than most so far this season.
 

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
6,909
12,431
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I think the main difference this year has been the stability of the back 6. Last year we statistically had a good defence but we achieved it by flooding back to protect an inexperienced back 6. This year we have had a very settled outfit, who are all great 1-1 players and we don’t flood as many players back. This has enabled us to have more players in attacking positions when we do have the ball. We did borrow this a little from our good friends the Eagles (and Kelly, thanks guys).

We have 2 potential All Australians in Stewart and Blicavs. O’Connor and Kolo having outstanding years. Henry and Touhy little disappointing on face of it but probably doing their job. And don’t forget Taylor, who is a champion of the club (who I have not fully appreciated in recent years) and I think he has made a massive difference.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood_14

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2008
575
396
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh, and to answer the original thread question. Flag or nothing now. We've shown we have a good team, we have a good attack, good midfield and good defense. We've played against some tough teams home and away and shown we can match it with them all.

Barring any serious injuries in the back half of the season, we've shown we are one of the few that can win it so to walk away with nothing come October would be a flop.
 

Stan The Caddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 26, 2013
7,813
10,534
AFL Club
Geelong
I suggest you get a hold of a copy of Kingy talking about it on AFL360 monday night. He also talked about it in the pregame Friday night on Fox Footy and showed footage explaining how the Cats current forward structures is a new tactic. They talked about it Saturday morning on the radio ad nauseum too. I'm not going to explain it to you cos I can't be stuffed.
Lol, it's because you've got no idea.
 

Landgraft

Premiership Player
Dec 18, 2016
4,538
7,895
AFL Club
Geelong
You need to appreciate that finals are a crapshoot. What matters is being in every game, because then you've given yourself a chance.
 

allrighty

Premium Gold
Jun 5, 2007
6,823
9,871
Over the hill and far out
AFL Club
Geelong
I do not think so. Even though we finished second a few times, we entered the finals far from favorites. We have not had a decent ruck play in a finals since 2011 neither have we had two decent key forwards, in fact our forward line as been a shambles for years. It has been a long time since we have ever been taken seriously as a premiership side and with good reason.

It is half way through the season and it seems it is likely we will finish in the top 4 and likely top 2. Speculating on anything else at this stage and setting pass marks is absurd. I guess I'm one of the older ones who lived through 89 and the 90s and have not forgotten 2008. Winning a premiership is very difficult, it was Scott who said after the siren in the GF in 2011, "...you cannot overestimate the part played by luck in winning a premiership"!!!
I was there in 69 when the Tuggers flogged us. Long memory
 

Mad_Hatter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2015
8,294
15,383
AFL Club
Geelong
I suggest you get a hold of a copy of Kingy talking about it on AFL360 monday night. He also talked about it in the pregame Friday night on Fox Footy and showed footage explaining how the Cats current forward structures is a new tactic. They talked about it Saturday morning on the radio ad nauseum too. I'm not going to explain it to you cos I can't be stuffed.
I have seen it, all Kingy says is Geelong keep players down at contests to ensure we have numbers to win the ground ball.
Thats it.
That isn't something "never seen before".
So again, what are we doing that somehow is revolutionary and will be "worked out" by the opposition? Because all we are doing right now is backing our great tall targets to mark or create a contest, and provide numbers underneath them to win the ground ball... like every single club in the comp......... We just do it better.
 

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
5,393
7,660
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I have seen it, all Kingy says is Geelong keep players down at contests to ensure we have numbers to win the ground ball.
Thats it.
That isn't something "never seen before".
So again, what are we doing that somehow is revolutionary and will be "worked out" by the opposition? Because all we are doing right now is backing our great tall targets to mark or create a contest, and provide numbers underneath them to win the ground ball... like every single club in the comp......... We just do it better.
We haven't revolutionised the game but we have severely tweaked our game and are doing it in such a manner that the rest of the competition can't cope with ( and hopefully won't cope with)
Just off the top the main tweaks seem to be :

> Forwardline - we now have structure , cohesiveness and the personnel. Rohan , Dal , Atkins, Miers and Ablett have been brilliant moneyball type choices as opposed to relying on resting mids to kick scores.
> F50 groundball - we are a front half team now , one up to mark or bring to ground and the wolf pack to get the groundball crumbs
> F50 accuracy - all our forwards are converting with ridiculous accuracy
> Mid rotations - holy trinity is out , our mids run both ways now and we have mixed it up brilliantly
> Attacking defence - we not only lock down but we are slightly less tall but much more mobile and attacking at times.
> Turnovers - we no longer regularly turn it over between the arcs so are much harder to score against and get it inside 50 much quicker

Long way to go but a top 2 finish should be the aim with the new game style to stack up well under finals pressure :)
 

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
15,895
17,760
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol, it's because you've got no idea.
He's right about it being a subject of discussion Stan.

I'm in the outback, and even I heard it on radio. Some show (pregame) with Carey & Co, who discussed - with Carey leading the charge - the fact that we have a 'new' system in our forward play that has caught other sides out and, in his opinion, is the single biggest factor.

Also said other sides would be studying it very closely heading into the finals.
 

Stan The Caddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 26, 2013
7,813
10,534
AFL Club
Geelong
He's right about it being a subject of discussion Stan.

I'm in the outback, and even I heard it on radio. Some show (pregame) with Carey & Co, who discussed - with Carey leading the charge - the fact that we have a 'new' system in our forward play that has caught other sides out and, in his opinion, is the single biggest factor.

Also said other sides would be studying it very closely heading into the finals.
That's awesome! What is it then?
 
Top Bottom