Opinion Flag or flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

11-1 and at least 2 games clear possibly 3. We all know if we go undefeated to the GF we can still lose it, but even if we lose 4 games in the run in we’ll be 17-5 and should be top 2 considering woods & eagles have dropped 3 games already and GWS 4.
From 2016 and the “Danger years” we’ve been PF, PF and EF.
The next step is to make the GF and win it.
Chris Scott 3-9 in finals post 2011. That’s 25% win/loss. Since 2016 2-4 in finals.
2016- finished 2nd but no GF
2017- finished 2nd but no GF
2018- knocked out week 1
Many of those finals exits were done at qtr time.
To include 2013 where we finished 2nd, had a KP final and didn’t make GF.
And 2014 straight sets, then September has been a disaster.
Notwithstanding injuries and a bit of luck which all sides need to navigate then..
To be 11-1 and likely to finish top 2 and avoid an interstate final. Then for me it’s flag or flop!

11-1 and at least 2 games clear possibly 3. We all know if we go undefeated to the GF we can still lose it, but even if we lose 4 games in the run in we’ll be 17-5 and should be top 2 considering woods & eagles have dropped 3 games already and GWS 4.
From 2016 and the “Danger years” we’ve been PF, PF and EF.
The next step is to make the GF and win it.
Chris Scott 3-9 in finals post 2011. That’s 25% win/loss. Since 2016 2-4 in finals.
2016- finished 2nd but no GF
2017- finished 2nd but no GF
2018- knocked out week 1
Many of those finals exits were done at qtr time.
To include 2013 where we finished 2nd, had a KP final and didn’t make GF.
And 2014 straight sets, then September has been a disaster.
Notwithstanding injuries and a bit of luck which all sides need to navigate then..
To be 11-1 and likely to finish top 2 and avoid an interstate final. Then for me it’s flag or flop!

I'm a bit with you me ol' China, we're in a great position right now and it is worthy of acknowledgement - and I've enjoyed every minute of it - but if we don't get the result at the end then it'll all quickly be consigned to the Vault of Horrors. That's just footy. As you point out, Chris Scott has had the club in strong positions on an almost yearly basis without planting a flag on the Moon. I wanna witness that one giant leap for Cat kind one more time (at least).

The jury is still out til we perform instead of crash in finals for me. But we have set up our season to a point where we should make top 2 and get 2 finals in vic from here and considering how tough our draw has been and the personnel issues we have had thats way above where i thought we would be right now.

I learnt my lesson in 89,I'm not counting my chickens just yet,a long way to go in this season.

Not counting my chickens re finals as we have failed there before but we are 3 games and 25 % clear of 3rd and in our last 10 games we only play 3 top 8 sides we have 4 games in Geelong and only 3 interstate trips...something would have to go badly wrong for us to not make top 2 from here.

Danger years. If ever a team has shown the unimportance of "stars", its us. We lose Gazza and win the big one. We get Danger, and can't seal the deal. We were closer in 2013 when the cupboard was pretty bare.

To me, a 35 year old, who has lost pace, is our biggest asset. He is more important to us this season then he would have been if he stayed in 2011. My reason is: skill. The way he has been used this season, his skills are turning up in the I50 area all the bloody time! Millimetre perfect passes I50. And its infectious among our youngsters. Even Danger is slowing down a bit and trying to get it our forwards. As opposed to trying to break the metres gained record off a sprint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learnt my lesson in 89,I'm not counting my chickens just yet,a long way to go in this season.

Yeah, I'm not counting chickens either. Us old crusties know from Blighty's Boys how easily joy can turn to a steaming pile of crap and we're either totally gunshy about crowing too early or too brutally real to do the same.

Lid. ON. Baggage. STOWED.

I'm a bit with you me ol' China, we're in a great position right now and it is worthy of acknowledgement - and I've enjoyed every minute of it - but if we don't get the result at the end then it'll all quickly be consigned to the Vault of Horrors. That's just footy. As you point out, Chris Scott has had the club in strong positions on an almost yearly basis without planting a flag on the Moon. I wanna witness that one giant leap for Cat kind one more time (at least).

At least they are acknowelding it.. plenty has been said by them about Sept and finals and past performance and lack of it..

Danger years. If ever a team has shown the unimportance of "stars", its us. We lose Gazza and win the big one. We get Danger, and can't seal the deal. We were closer in 2013 when the cupboard was pretty bare.

To me, a 35 year old, who has lost pace, is our biggest asset. He is more important to us this season then he would have been if he stayed in 2011. My reason is: skill. The way he has been used this season, his skills are turning up in the I50 area all the bloody time! Millimetre perfect passes I50. And its infectious among our youngsters. Even Danger is slowing down a bit and trying to get it our forwards. As opposed to trying to break the metres gained record off a sprint.
This post is rather contradictive I would have thought...

Hasn’t been a really dominant team for a while, the Crows in 2017 and Tigers last year were at various stages looking close it it. Cautionary tale there.

If we go 20-2 or 19-3, huge pressure comes. Slight worry is we don’t face Giants, Pies or Eagles again in home and away to get a guide.

Hasn’t been a really dominant team for a while, the Crows in 2017 and Tigers last year were at various stages looking close it it. Cautionary tale there.

If we go 20-2 or 19-3, huge pressure comes. Slight worry is we don’t face Giants, Pies or Eagles again in home and away to get a guide.

Tigers last year was only at the G, they were beaten almost every time they went elsewhere.

Flag? Flop?
Essentially they mean the same thing....

Flag
become tired or less enthusiastic or dynamic.
"if you begin to flag, there is an excellent cafe to revive you"
synonyms: tire, become fatigued, grow tired/weary, weaken, grow weak, lose (one's) strength/energy, falter, languish, wilt, droop, sag

Flop
fall, move, or hang in a loose and ungainly way.
"his blond hair flopped over his eyes"
synonyms:hang (down), drop, hang loosely/limply, dangle, droop, sag, flap, loll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back