Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps you know more about the god you are referring to than many of its nominal followers. Most of whom dont darken the door of any church ....
I despise religion, that’s why I like it so much.

I dont share your pain, there are extremes on every issue in life, I can accomodate it, when they knock on the door, no thanks!
When they lie on the road, I go a different way.
When they light fires, find them guilty, jail them.
If you are looking for a fight sit next to the opposition cheer squad, theres usual a nutter there a bit unhinged.

As for Margaret Court, its about her tennis, not her religion, not how she votes - same in footy.

I'm not looking for a fight.

But this sort of crap needs to be called out.

Perhaps you need clean your glasses .... live & let live too tough a philosophy?

If only Folau and the other crazies followed the same philosophy.

Once they start commenting on the way others live their lives the rest of us are absolutely entitled to call them out. Their comments are in the public domain, therefore they are not entitled to escape public examination.

I'm not looking for a fight.

But this sort of crap needs to be called out.

Agreed, its just the outrage: as if we dont all know Issys views & that is little more than a cult, a family based cult.
Reckon its been called out, same sex marriage got up in a nominally Christian country - ordinary folk can walk & chew gum, the extremes on both sides preach & hate.

Agreed, its just the outrage: as if we dont all know Issys views & that is little more than a cult, a family based cult.
Reckon its been called out, same sex marriage got up in a nominally Christian country - ordinary folk can walk & chew gum, the extremes on both sides preach & hate.

And I would ordinarily agree with you.

However, when the media is focused on reporting every word the guy says (and he clearly welcomes the attention as it drives his agenda of trying to portray himself as some sort of Christian martyr) then you will have people vehemently agree or disagree in pubs, cafes and places like this.

I just don't think you can ask people to be tolerant of Folau's views when he is so intolerant of others.

And I would ordinarily agree with you.

However, when the media is focused on reporting every word the guy says (and he clearly welcomes the attention as it drives his agenda of trying to portray himself as some sort of Christian martyr) then you will have people vehemently agree or disagree in pubs, cafes and places like this.

I just don't think you can ask people to be tolerant of Folau's views when he is so intolerant of others.
That's they way these charismatic jesus freaks think. We should be tolerant of watching our PM as he talks in tongues waving his hands in the sky in veneration of some long dead jew but when it comes to said jesus freaks tolerating something that's out side of their values it's open season.

Reckon media reporting of Folau's words has generally been aimed at discrediting him.

Most took RA's side in the dispute (though I suspect a majority of public opinion is with Folau).

Why else would a reporter be attending his sermon if not to obtain "wacky" quotes like the bushfires one?
I think you'll find Issy posted his "sermon" online himself. I don't think any reporters were present.

I think you'll find Issy posted his "sermon" online himself. I don't think any reporters were present.

Fair enough. But why would you bother to go through it if you weren't a member of the congregation or considering becoming one?

When you think about it, it's not very different from blaming the bushfires on climate change. Both focus on man as sinner, and call for repentance.

Fair enough. But why would you bother to go through it if you weren't a member of the congregation or considering becoming one?

When you think about it, it's not very different from blaming the bushfires on climate change. Both focus on man as sinner, and call for repentance.

Only one is (potentially) based on science though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True.

And homeopathy is not very different from medical treatment for cancer.

Lots of virtue signallers to a chorus of 'what about me' ...... seeking to put down anothers beliefs based on race, religion or creed ... unwilling to accommodate the other point of view ??
No.

You're reading far too much into my comment.

I'm an atheist, I am entitled to have a dig at people who believe in a god, just as they are entitled to have a dig at me.

Big wide wonderful world out there.

'Faith' and 'religion' might be related but they aren't the same thing. Faith itself isn't the problem - it's when that faith gets organised into a socio-political structure and impacts negatively on those not sharing those beliefs, that's the problem.
I see your point, but there's also the possibility that this much-admired concept of faith is really just shorthand for "I have absolutely zero proof of this thing that I've decided to make my whole existence revolve around, but I really really REALLY hope it's true, coz I've invested my whole existence in it".

I see your point, but there's also the possibility that this much-admired concept of faith is really just shorthand for "I have absolutely zero proof of this thing that I've decided to make my whole existence revolve around, but I really really REALLY hope it's true, coz I've invested my whole existence in it".

Yep, faith is simply the belief in something for which there is no evidence.

It's the foundation of a great tax rort though. :thumbsu:

I'm with you on this.

The congregation is like, 30 people, mostly related to each other.

A cult like that would deservedly receive no dissemination of its eccentric views whatsoever were it not for Folau's celebrity status. Best to just talk about his football and ignore his religious side.

Don't want to go off on a tangent. Suffice to say that the majority of public support is based on pseudoscientific beliefs.

Point taken, but when someone as credible as ex-NSW fire chief Greg Mullins speaks and politicians (as well as the public) don't listen then we are all pretty much Daffy-ducked.

Last edited:
The PM holds the same values and is a bit more difficult to ignore.

I doubt the PM would wish terrible things on the sinners of world which is basically everyone (according to religion). He might be "religious" but I doubt he'd be arming himself with pitchforks on the way to the pub to teach em why they should repent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back