Religion Folau

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt the PM would wish terrible things on the sinners of world which is basically everyone (according to religion). He might be "religious" but I doubt he'd be arming himself with pitchforks on the way to the pub to teach em why they should repent.
We have two choices with Scott Morrison, neither of which show him in a great light. Either he lies to Australia about the role that religion plays in his life and his career or he's an absolutely dreadful christian who says one thing on Sunday and acts in a completely contrary manner for the rest of the week.

His comments on fire and its causes were spoken like a true televangelist. It's a great rallying call to get the equally deluded to open their wallets.

Preachers never factor in the punishment they receive, though. Rather than going the litigious route, getting sacked from RA being God's way of telling him he's doing something wrong will never cross his mind.

We have two choices with Scott Morrison, neither of which show him in a great light. Either he lies to Australia about the role that religion plays in his life and his career or he's an absolutely dreadful christian who says one thing on Sunday and acts in a completely contrary manner for the rest of the week.

You have to be either a good christian, or a good person. You can't be both.

No.

You're reading far too much into my comment.

I'm an atheist, I am entitled to have a dig at people who believe in a god, just as they are entitled to have a dig at me.

Big wide wonderful world out there.

Its the high ground you claim to occupy, probably one hill over from Folau.

And this is news to you? Living in a western liberal democratic society and being a firm believer in religion is contradictory in itself, not the first polly and won't be the last to pretend he's all christiany to score brownie points among some of the brain dead electorate.

As far as Folau goes I can't take him seriously and don't look sideways at his posting of ridiculous excerpts, what I do have an issue with is RA with its own contradictory HR policy that has blown up in it's face has set a precedent.

Now, were going to have a crack pot freedom of religion bill (read: don't dare criticise religion or you'll be prosecuted) which no prizes for guessing has come about because is going to create s**t storms every time some fruit cake like Folau posts something something and the "look for outrage" set will get their nose out of joint.

Companies like RA (and mine) have stupid policies to protect people that have opposing ideals. :drunk: So in effect it doesn't protect anyone.

Actually I'll have my popcorn at the ready waiting for this bill to come in.:thumbsu:

Its the high ground you claim to occupy, probably one hill over from Folau.
Sheesh. All I said was "imagine believing in a god". Hardly "occupying the high ground".

Plenty of religious believers have said exactly the same about my ilk. "Imagine not believing in God."

The irony obviously eluded you.

Talk about triggered.

Time to grow some spine pal.

And this is news to you? Living in a western liberal democratic society and being a firm believer in religion is contradictory in itself, not the first polly and won't be the last to pretend he's all christiany to score brownie points among some of the brain dead electorate.

As far as Folau goes I can't take him seriously and don't look sideways at his posting of ridiculous excerpts, what I do have an issue with is RA with its own contradictory HR policy that has blown up in it's face has set a precedent.

Now, were going to have a crack pot freedom of religion bill (read: don't dare criticise religion or you'll be prosecuted) which no prizes for guessing has come about because is going to create s**t storms every time some fruit cake like Folau posts something something and the "look for outrage" set will get their nose out of joint.

Companies like RA (and mine) have stupid policies to protect people that have opposing ideals. :drunk: So in effect it doesn't protect anyone.

Actually I'll have my popcorn at the ready waiting for this bill to come in.:thumbsu:

Source? This will obviously be a huge step backwards, as christianity and religion altogether needs to be crushed and destroyed.

I'm with you on this.

The congregation is like, 30 people, mostly related to each other.

A cult like that would deservedly receive no dissemination of its eccentric views whatsoever were it not for Folau's celebrity status. Best to just talk about his football and ignore his religious side.

But the media go to 'his' church & pump it up because it attracts clicks.

Source? This will obviously be a huge step backwards, as christianity and religion altogether needs to be crushed and destroyed.

I think religion needs to be de-radicalized, people in modern societies generally are religious because of the belief of good values, respecting your fellow citizen and doing the right things. All those warm and fuzzy's. they don't follow religion to the letter if everyone did that then we'd be barely past AD on an evolutionary scale and it'd be hell on earth.

Or even better segregate nut jobs that use religion for ill purposes whether they realize it not from society.

I agree there really is no place for religion in it's true sense in a modern western liberal society like ours, but because there is a large minority who are naive and believe in it. It will never be crushed.

I think religion needs to be de-radicalized, people in modern societies generally are religious because of the belief of good values, respecting your fellow citizen and doing the right things. All those warm and fuzzy's. they don't follow religion to the letter if everyone did that then we'd be barely past AD on an evolutionary scale and it'd be hell on earth.

Or even better segregate nut jobs that use religion for ill purposes whether they realize it not from society.

I agree there really is no place for religion in it's true sense in a modern western liberal society like ours, but because there is a large minority who are naive and believe in it. It will never be crushed.

It will never be crushed but it will probably die a slow death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will never be crushed but it will probably die a slow death.

Yeah probably, lets be honest religion written 2000 + years ago is not practical anymore. That's why it's vague shadow of what it really once was, those who are "religious" are very tolerant towards society that is in contradiction with religion.

Point taken, but when someone as credible as ex-NSW fire chief Greg Mullins speaks and politicians (as well as the public) don't listen then we are all pretty much Daffy-ducked.

I really didn't want to get caught up on this, but Greg Mullins is a good example of opinions being disseminated as expert in order to cause public alarm. Mullins is an expert on bushfires, not climate, and clearly has a vested interest in in his current role with a climate activist group. He did the media rounds at the time and gave a number of similar interviews, e.g. https://amp.smh.com.au/national/thi...about-the-nsw-mega-fires-20191110-p5395e.html

"I’m sure [the government] will then start to take decisive action to tackle the base cause – greenhouse emissions"... he leaps to this unsubstantiated conclusion without a shred of self-consciousness. Attempting to spread public alarm is really a misuse of his former title. It adds to the general UN-sponsored clamour and helps convince people who lack the time or interest to form their own opinion. Nothing Australia does, energy policy-wise, is going to make a rat's arse of difference to bushfires, and it's irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Anyway, back to Folau.

I really didn't want to get caught up on this, but Greg Mullins is a good example of opinions being disseminated as expert in order to cause public alarm. Mullins is an expert on bushfires, not climate, and clearly has a vested interest in in his current role with a climate activist group. He did the media rounds at the time and gave a number of similar interviews, e.g. https://amp.smh.com.au/national/thi...about-the-nsw-mega-fires-20191110-p5395e.html

"I’m sure it will then start to take decisive action to tackle the base cause – greenhouse emissions"... he leaps to this unsubstantiated opinion without a shred of self-consciousness. Attempting to spread public alarm is really a misuse of his former title. It adds to the general UN-sponsored clamour and convinces people who lack the time or interest to form their own opinions. Nothing Australia does, energy policy-wise, is going to make a rat's arse of difference to bushfires, and it's irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Anyway, back to Folau.

Maybe not but it is beyond irresponsible and more than a little bit arrogant to suggest that we shouldn't at least do our share and lead by example.

Be the change that you want to see in the world and all that. How can we expect the countries who are doing the most climate damage to change when countries like ours won't lead the way?

Per capita, in 2017 Australia's carbon emissions were more than double China's. That's truly disgraceful.

Now back to Folau. ;)

Maybe not but it is beyond irresponsible and more than a little bit arrogant to suggest that we shouldn't at least do our share and lead by example.

Be the change that you want to see in the world and all that. How can we expect the countries who are doing the most climate damage to change when countries like ours won't lead the way?

Per capita, in 2017 Australia's carbon emissions were the second most in the world and more than double China's. That's truly disgraceful.

Now back to Folau. ;)
Per capita figures only counts when it comes to Australia resettling refugees.

Per capita, in 2017 Australia's carbon emissions were more than double China's. That's truly disgraceful.

The bottom line is that the Chinese business community is lobbying for 300-500 new coal power stations in the next decade. Willingly bringing hardship upon yourself under these circumstances is like giving to a charity in the knowledge that the CEO is buying a Rolls-Royce. Global consensus is hard, especially when the payoff is far into the future and not guaranteed. Renewables need to step up to the plate with respect to price promises and reliability. It needs to get to the stage where everyone says "Why not (switch to renewables)?".

Anyway, Folau invoking bushfires as proof of his views shouldn't be given airtime, even if he sees parallels with the Book of Isaiah.

"I’m sure [the government] will then start to take decisive action to tackle the base cause – greenhouse emissions"... he leaps to this unsubstantiated conclusion without a shred of self-consciousness. Attempting to spread public alarm is really a misuse of his former title. It adds to the general UN-sponsored clamour and helps convince people who lack the time or interest to form their own opinion. Nothing Australia does, energy policy-wise, is going to make a rat's arse of difference to bushfires, and it's irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Anyway, back to Folau.
You say we shouldn’t listen to a fire commissioner because he’s not a qualified climate scientist.

But people ignore the qualified climate scientists anyway.

Can’t win with you lot.

Probably wouldn't hurt. Probably a waste of your time and energy not ignoring the brain deads of the world like Folau.
Perhaps Folau, but to some extent, people like him and those that belong to all religious cults, will be emboldened by the attempt to gain ultimate privileges not afforded others without belief in sky fairies, pedo prophets, alien sex planets etc. under the guise of “religious freedom acts”.
This is the beginning of theocracy creeping its ugly deformed head into our Secular Democratic way of life.
I won’t stand for it, nor should anyone else, we need to and should chop the head off this vile beast before it proceeds any further.
It’s more than just an existential threat, given who has the keys to Kirribilli!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back