Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

After a bit of ice-cream making my wife had some stewed apple left over and she suggested I should make some apple crumble. I wanted to make an apple pie, but there wasn't quite enough filling. So I stewed up a pear with some brown sugar and as a compromise, made an apple / pear crumble / pie.

Screenshot_2023-01-06-21-55-20-70_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

After a bit of ice-cream making my wife had some stewed apple left over and she suggested I should make some apple crumble. I wanted to make an apple pie, but there wasn't quite enough filling. So I stewed up a pear with some brown sugar and as a compromise, made an apple / pear crumble / pie.

View attachment 1582294
This is the best apple pie I have eaten.

The crumble on top was a genius move.

I used a mix of museli and the bits of granola that are all crumbed up in the bottom of the bag plus a handful of coconut, half a cup of plain flour, about a quarter of a cup of brown sugar and a couple of tablespoons of flora.

There are heaps of online recipes. If you want to get in the good books with the family this is the desert to make.

IMG_20230118_160047.jpg

Has anyone here heard of or ordered "magic coffee"?

I have not been to a cafe in the Melbourne CBD for a while so the term might have become commonplace now for all I know but I have never heard of it before.

https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a42444126/magic-coffee/

I don't hold much faith in that article – for one thing, apart from Starbucks and chain franchises, who ever has heard of Caffe Latte being served up in 12 ounce buckets?

View attachment 1588648

Has anyone here heard of or ordered "magic coffee"?

I have not been to a cafe in the Melbourne CBD for a while so the term might have become commonplace now for all I know but I have never heard of it before.

https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a42444126/magic-coffee/

I don't hold much faith in that article – for one thing, apart from Starbucks and chain franchises, who ever has heard of Caffe Latte being served up in 12 ounce buckets?
Been around for a few years now. Apparently, very Melbourne. My daughter and her bloke have them. Where have you been SonofSamsquanch ?

Been around for a few years now. Apparently, very Melbourne. My daughter and her bloke have them. Where have you been SonofSamsquanch ?
I frequented only real coffee shops run by people without Ned Kelly beards and who don’t wear black butcher’s aprons to make coffee.

And if they are cashless they can get stuffed.

I frequented only real coffee shops run by people without Ned Kelly beards and who don’t wear black butcher’s aprons to make coffee.

And if they are cashless they can get stuffed.
I'm a bit like that too but don't know one coffee shop in Melbourne that wouldn't know what a magic is. My pet hate is a coffee shop that has the story of their coffee beans on the wall or taking ups a whole page of their menu. You know - our single origin beans are grown in virgin soil and harvested at midnight. They are then carried by donkey led by nuns through snake infested jungles and roasted over burning coconut shells and then filtered through fine mesh spun by Himalayan Buddhist monks. They are then delivered direct to us by seaplane and carried to our cafe by fully trained baristas who then blend them onsite and make you the finest coffee.

The more a cafe tells you about their coffee the least impressive the final cup is - St Ali take note.

I'm a bit like that too but don't know one coffee shop in Melbourne that wouldn't know what a magic is. My pet hate is a coffee shop that has the story of their coffee beans on the wall or taking ups a whole page of their menu. You know - our single origin beans are grown in virgin soil and harvested at midnight. They are then carried by donkey led by nuns through snake infested jungles and roasted over burning coconut shells and then filtered through fine mesh spun by Himalayan Buddhist monks. They are then delivered direct to us by seaplane and carried to our cafe by fully trained baristas who then blend them onsite and make you the finest coffee.

The more a cafe tells you about their coffee the least impressive the final cup is - St Ali take note.
Sea plane? WTF happened to the dolphins who have formed a symbiotic relationship with the bean transportation technicians?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1582294
t reckon the crumble is the right call,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back