Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gave this a go last week, because I wanted something semi-healthy and quick, and I've been on a bit of a pressure cooker kick lately.

Actually super tasty, even without sour cream, lime and cilantro to finish. Looked forward to lunch and dinner for the couple of days I had it. Don't normally like Brown rice, but this was great.

Just don't make the mistake I made on the first night, reading "chili" as "chilli". The recipe is asking for American Chili seasoning (basically mexican spice blend), not Chilli powder (cayenne) like we have in Australia. Still tasted pretty good, but had a bit of a kick and a little less flavour.
I used a bottle of Beerenburgs tomato sauce which gave it a tonne of flavour.

Gave this a go last week, because I wanted something semi-healthy and quick, and I've been on a bit of a pressure cooker kick lately.

Actually super tasty, even without sour cream, lime and cilantro to finish. Looked forward to lunch and dinner for the couple of days I had it. Don't normally like Brown rice, but this was great.

Just don't make the mistake I made on the first night, reading "chili" as "chilli". The recipe is asking for American Chili seasoning (basically mexican spice blend), not Chilli powder (cayenne) like we have in Australia. Still tasted pretty good, but had a bit of a kick and a little less flavour.
I used a bottle of Beerenburgs tomato sauce which gave it a tonne of flavour.
If you have an electric pressure cooker, the medium/hard boiled eggs you can cook are revolutionary when it comes to peeling them. Especially if your eggs afresh.

Stop posting pressure cooker stuff guys. We had one but I had to dispose of it on management orders. I do not want to know what I am missing out on.

Thank you.
Buy an all in one cooker, don't tell them it has a pressure cooker function.

;)

Buy an all in one cooker, don't tell them it has a pressure cooker function.

;)
We had a Philips multi cooker thing which did a great job but the lid locking mechanism was engineered out of fragile plastic components. It wouldn't unlock one night and thus it was appliance-non-grata.

We had a Philips multi cooker thing which did a great job but the lid locking mechanism was engineered out of fragile plastic components. It wouldn't unlock one night and thus it was appliance-non-grata.
Philips and a few other similar brands have gone down the gurglar in quality terms.
Mines a philips and currently having issues with the float valve engaging.

Basically have to give it a nudge when the cooker gets up to temp to get it to pop up

Mines a philips and currently having issues with the float valve engaging.

Basically have to give it a nudge when the cooker gets up to temp to get it to pop up
Is yours the black plastic fast/slow multi cooker thing with the hinged lid?

Ours didn't have any problem with the valve that I knew of. The lock mechanism inside the lid that prevents the lid from opening when under pressure would jump a cog and it couldn't be unlocked. I had a delicious chicken curry cooked but it was unobtainable due to this. I had to break the top off the lid to access the gears so I could unlock the thing. I added some screws and epoxy to fix it and I was able to get the lid back together with no visible damage however the order to get the bloody thing out of the house came and it went on to the hard waste collection.

Philips and a few other similar brands have gone down the gurglar in quality terms.
Yep. Agreed. My wife, I mean we, well, we had a Phillips iron with the steam reservoir and hose which was quite good, until it died. It lasted just shortly longer than the warranty.

She We now have a Tefal.

Is yours the black plastic fast/slow multi cooker thing with the hinged lid?

Ours didn't have any problem with the valve that I knew of. The lock mechanism inside the lid that prevents the lid from opening when under pressure would jump a cog and it couldn't be unlocked. I had a delicious chicken curry cooked but it was unobtainable due to this. I had to break the top off the lid to access the gears so I could unlock the thing. I added some screws and epoxy to fix it and I was able to get the lid back together with no visible damage however the order to get the bloody thing out of the house came and it went on to the hard waste collection.

Yep. Agreed. My wife, I mean we, well, we had a Phillips iron with the steam reservoir and hose which was quite good, until it died. It lasted just shortly longer than the warranty.

She We now have a Tefal.
Nah, I have the Philips all in one, and got the 8L for batch cooking. I read similar horror stories to yours resulting in epoxy and screw additions, so opted not to get the hinged one.

81b63ccf19584036883fad1e014ab3d3

Chiko rolls with soy sauce? I saw a relative do this yesterday. One, I didn’t know chiko rolls still existed, and I hadn’t seen with soy sauce. It does make a weird kind of sense.
It is a legitimate combination but doesn't beat the option of stuffing the Chiko Roll with chips as you eat it.

I will say however, that they tasted better 45 years ago.

What's in a chiko roll or what is it similar to?

I can't remember ever having one.
You obviously had a misspent youth!

It's basically a spring roll wrapped in a tough leathery skin and filled with salt, cabbage, potentially other vegetable matter, possible pork or beef mince and a kind of peppery gravy that is deep fried and obviously was the mainstay of the fish and chip shop industry during the 1970s.

I honestly bought a pack from Coles to show my kid what growing up in the 70s was all about. I didn't do a great job with the cooking as I tried to use an air fryer. These things need to be boiled in a cauldron of fat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You obviously had a misspent youth!

It's basically a spring roll wrapped in a tough leathery skin and filled with salt, cabbage, potentially other vegetable matter, possible pork or beef mince and a kind of peppery gravy that is deep fried and obviously was the mainstay of the fish and chip shop industry during the 1970s.

I honestly bought a pack from Coles to show my kid what growing up in the 70s was all about. I didn't do a great job with the cooking as I tried to use an air fryer. These things need to be boiled in a cauldron of fat.
I remember all the fish and chip shops had an A4 of a large breasted woman on a motorcycle hoovering a chiko roll - every shop!

Tapped into my inner Bernard King the other day - a carrot and raisin salad. Except I gave the raisins a swerve and went the sun Muscat sultanas. Sliced up some pineapple pieces and seasoned with an olive oil, lemon juice and salt dressing. Just something a little different

Do you make pavlova? This is to settle a discussion... If you are a successful pav maker, do you use 50 to 55g of sugar per egg white and more importantly, do you advise to add the acid (cream of tartar / lemon juice / vinegar) with the sugar when beating the whites or at the end and fold in with a little cornflour?

Obviously this is an important question.

Wonder if Gasometer is degaussing or degassing down at the North End Bakehouse since they seem to have won the Victorian snot block competition, despite the plain pink icing without any passionfruit pips in it...

Screenshot_2023-12-31-11-33-31-78_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Wonder if Gasometer is degaussing or degassing down at the North End Bakehouse since they seem to have won the Victorian snot block competition, despite the plain pink icing without any passionfruit pips in it...

View attachment 1879924

I believe it is an Industrial area and is popular with tradies and the like. It’s out of my way tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back