Food you thought you hated until you tried it

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a fussy eater as a kid, and there's plenty of things I flat out refused to eat. A lot of this distaste extended into adulthood, and it's got to the point where there's foods that I'm not sure if I don't actually like them or whether I just thought they were gross as a kid and have avoided eating them since.

Here's a few examples:
- Sushi: raw fish? Yeah right campaigner.
- Soup (non-tomato): hated pumpkin, assumed I hated pumpkin soup too.
- Meat Pie: seemed like a big pastry nappy full of s**t. Still wouldn't pick it over a sausage roll, but much better than I had assumed.

I could literally give a hundred more examples, but curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was a fussy eater as a kid, and there's plenty of things I flat out refused to eat. A lot of this distaste extended into adulthood, and it's got to the point where there's foods that I'm not sure if I don't actually like them or whether I just thought they were gross as a kid and have avoided eating them since.

Here's a few examples:
- Sushi: raw fish? Yeah right campaigner.
- Soup (non-tomato): hated pumpkin, assumed I hated pumpkin soup too.
- Meat Pie: seemed like a big pastry nappy full of s**t. Still wouldn't pick it over a sausage roll, but much better than I had assumed.

I could literally give a hundred more examples, but curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I never ate pies because it was just gristle in gravy, its good they finally worked out if its cooked low and slow you can soften the rubbery bits to jelly.
I never liked tomato or pumpkin soup because they were sweet still not a fan,though Italian roasted tomato soup is nice
I wanted to try sushi because it was raw fish not despite it and loved it and still do

I never ate pies because it was just gristle in gravy, its good they finally worked out if its cooked low and slow you can soften the rubbery bits to jelly.
I never liked tomato or pumpkin soup because they were sweet still not a fan,though Italian roasted tomato soup is nice
I wanted to try sushi because it was raw fish not despite it and loved it and still do
My girlfriend got me to try sushi here in Melbourne after moving a few years ago. I went 21 years thinking it was weird people food, and have spent the last couple of years with it being arguably my favourite food.

Of the liquid variety, beer and red wine. Now? Oh how I wish that was the case.
Actually the opposite for me on wine. I could drink goon as a kid, but can't imagine much worse now.

I didn't like spicy dishes like curries when I was a kid but now I love them.

Of the liquid variety, beer and red wine. Now? Oh how I wish that was the case.

I developed a taste for beer but I still hate the taste of wine, doesn't matter how expensive it is it all tastes like s**t to me.

Definitely tomato hated it as a kid. Now i eat it with most things. Love chopping one up adding salt and going at it. Delicious.

Asian food is another. Now love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably olives and eggplant. Don't remember rating them, probably would have avoided them as a kid.

Generally I'd try something though, I wouldn't assume I'd hate it. Got introduced to mostly everything as a kid through parent cooking and eating out. Fussy with things I dislike and regularly was made to eat, but not with things I haven't sampled before.

Plus one for anchovies. I think their flavour is too strong to appeal to kids. Buy Spanish ones - expensive but makes a difference.

I thought even the smell of alcohol was pretty dubious as a child but I’ve recovered from that problem big time.

I wouldn’t have gone near fermented foods like sauerkraut or kimchi as a child - love them now.

Plus one for anchovies. I think their flavour is too strong to appeal to kids. Buy Spanish ones - expensive but makes a difference.

I thought even the smell of alcohol was pretty dubious as a child but I’ve recovered from that problem big time.

I wouldn’t have gone near fermented foods like sauerkraut or kimchi as a child - love them now.
Yeah, I didn't appreciate anything aged, fermented or pickled for a long time because the idea seemed disgusting.

I can't specifically recall hating something before trying it. I'll try most things once (although I draw the line at some of the wackier foods you see in Asian markets).

As a kid I was convinced I hated Brussels sprouts, swedes, and button squash. Turns out my mum was just really bad at cooking them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back