Analysis Footy in the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Preface this with saying that I couldn't find the "doesn't deserve its own thread" thread.

Was re-reading Mark Bickley's biography, and there is a bit where he explains Malcolm Blight's 'football blueprint'. As we all know he was keen on direct, attacking football. One passage in particular stood out:

All centre clearances needed to move the ball directly in line with the goal. If someone disposed of the ball through the side of the centre square, they would be benched.

I can see why this stopped being relevant, eith flooding, zones, and team defence, but is it perhaps the correct approach in the days of 6 6 6 ? Or would the predictability and lack of control of the footy lead to turnovers and scores against with the improved fitness and skills today?

And the main point of this post - how brilliant was 90s style attacking football!!

Preface this with saying that I couldn't find the "doesn't deserve its own thread" thread.

Was re-reading Mark Bickley's biography, and there is a bit where he explains Malcolm Blight's 'football blueprint'. As we all know he was keen on direct, attacking football. One passage in particular stood out:

All centre clearances needed to move the ball directly in line with the goal. If someone disposed of the ball through the side of the centre square, they would be benched.

I can see why this stopped being relevant, eith flooding, zones, and team defence, but is it perhaps the correct approach in the days of 6 6 6 ? Or would the predictability and lack of control of the footy lead to turnovers and scores against with the improved fitness and skills today?

And the main point of this post - how brilliant was 90s style attacking football!!
How much more watchable was it too. 80's and 90's were almost like THE golden era of footy

I miss the 90s, not only because of the 2 flags, but it was a good blend of the vintage and the modern. There was a real shift in technology across all facets of computing, networking, machinery, gaming etc.

Regarding footy in the 90s, I miss it for its relative simplicity, players role being more defined, forwards taking regular hangers and more sense of club loyalty. Also, without social media back then, there was also less gutter journalism overall and Sam McClure wasn’t old enough to have a job.

Defensive football can get a dog up it

Then Malcolm is too one dimensional

I understand and mostly applaud this direct football attitude - but there are times a switch is the better option. I liked using my wings as running options into the goal area

It spreads the defenders wider having to consider the ball coming in from the boundary

90’s - the best football, the best music, pre 911 so therefore the best travel.

Is this what we do when we kick it down Stewart’s throat repeatedly?
What’s blightys stance on kicking moon balls without looking?

Anyone notice how they never show the team line ups during the pregame broadcasts anymore?

They generally just show ins and outs.

Drew Morphett welcoming us from a blustery Victoria Park, running through the line ups.

Because line ups are a joke as teams began taking the piss because they didnt want to reveal positions aside from the obvious. Even now, some positions listed are excruciatingly wrong when teams are realised. Cant blame commentators from saying nope, not going to waste my time.

Maybe because we won, but those 2 grand finals were brilliant watching. It probably continued for a while and then hit a wall the back to back Swans/Eagles GFs. Great contests, but pig ugly football. Doesn't seem to have really recovered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back