Prediction Footy Journalism 2016 - Who Is The Cluelessest Muppet?

Remove this Banner Ad

261830e843b102ba99fb851d24744cad

Here is Gerard's to add to Robbo's

And, as i suspected might happen, here is our first anomaly: Robbo's list here is different to the list he prepared for the Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...c6d6cdbc6e2bc370c83756d825&memtype=registered

insofar as he has swapped the Bulldogs and Norf. Madness! Which do we believe?! His credibility is shot, or at least it would be if he had any after the Essendon* scandal.

But thank you, Gerard is added to my master list.

I refuse to believe there is a more clueless muppet than Rucci. There just can't be!!

Unfortunately Australia has a lot of second rate journalists in sport. I can't think of one AFL journalist who I think is excellent at their job. Any of them with a pinch of talent get asked to write above and beyond what they're capable of. No journalist should ever write a top 50 list of players. Not one. And an excellent journalist would turn down the directive from their editor. But we live in times where quantity is more important than quality so as much as a muppet Rucci is, he's got a lot of friends.

And, as i suspected might happen, here is our first anomaly: Robbo's list here is different to the list he prepared for the Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...c6d6cdbc6e2bc370c83756d825&memtype=registered

insofar as he has swapped the Bulldogs and Norf. Madness! Which do we believe?! His credibility is shot, or at least it would be if he had any after the Essendon* scandal.

But thank you, Gerard is added to my master list.

The thing about Robbo is that he's always drunk.

I know, is that a ******* joke? What a bunch of idiots.

almost as funny as "Port will be top 4 because they were good two years ago".
At first I thought deaneus had made some sort of typo or that it was a pisstake.

Unfortunately it was not the case. It's truly baffling.

Here's what I don't get about Geelong. Last year, they had 0 players in the AA squad, the first time this has happened to them for years. We had heaps - Danger, Jacobs, Walker, Betts, Laird (from memory , some may have missed but they were around the mark).

Now with that team effort we still only finished up in the 2nd week of the finals.

So to win the Premiership, Geelong not only need Danger to have as good a year as last year (not a simple ask), but also have I would say another 6 step up to AA levels.

Who are these guys who are going to step up? That's a big ask for such rapid improvement from a list on the decline.

I just can't see it. Footy is one sport where a great player can't compensate for a poor team like say Basketball or Soccer can in some ways.
The problem with Geelong last year is that they had a number of injuries and not enough players picking up the slack. They still have genuine stars on their list though and they just got Dangerfield who is a top 3 player in the comp and their best player.

Guys like Dangerfield, Selwood, Motlop, Taylor, Hawkins are all capable of playing at an AA level. Their defense is serviceable but the likes of Lonergan, Enright and Mackie are approaching the twilight of their careers. Taylor is still very good, in fact when in form, the best CHB in the competition.

Their midfield could be scary good with Dangerfield, Selwood, Motlop (when in shape), Duncan, aging Bartel and a sprinkling of promising youngsters. They improved their ruck stocks by adding Smith.

Their forward line will be interesting though. Hawkins is a contested beast. Clark is he can get right is a nice 2nd tall to have on the list and Dangerfield is a match up nightmare when he rests down there. Motlop can provide some spark when he goes down there as well.

They certainly have the talent to be a VERY VERY good team but the issues they have is depth and replacing all that experience. Their issues last year was injuries to players that they could not afford to have out injured. If they can get their key players to stay on the park this year and have a very good run with injuries, they could be top 4 side but a couple injuries to key players and it relying on other to step up that have not done so in the past.

Once the likes of Lonergan, Mackie, Bartel and Enright hang them up, possibly at the end of the year, it could be a tough couple of years for the pussy cats.

I like that the media is building up Geelong. It will make it funnier if they fail. Kind of like Port last year.

Seriously how does Robbo even still have a job after the Essendon saga? Guy doesn't have a shred of credibility left.

Missing pieces of the puzzle

Port - Ryder, Dixon
Sydney - Tippet, Franklin
Geelong - Dangerfield, the other guy whose brother is already there

Also known as mortgaging your future for a chance at instant glory

Can't work for all of them at the same time, some fans are gonna be pretty unhappy for many years to come:rolleyes:

Missing pieces of the puzzle

Port - Ryder, Dixon
Sydney - Tippet, Franklin
Geelong - Dangerfield, the other guy whose brother is already there

Also known as mortgaging your future for a chance at instant glory

Can't work for all of them at the same time, some fans are gonna be pretty unhappy for many years to come:rolleyes:
Sydney didn't mortgage their future as they got both those players for contract money only.

Port and Geelong traded a lot of draft picks (not just for Danger but for Henderson; SSelwood was free).

Sydney didn't mortgage their future as they got both those players for contract money only.

Port and Geelong traded a lot of draft picks (not just for Danger but for Henderson; SSelwood was free).

Fair point although Sydney certainly banked their salary cap on those two recruits, which is/could bite them in keeping other players or attracting new ones. If Tippet and Franklin don't drag them to a flag - actually it would have to be a couple or three to justify the cost - then they're in for a rebuild

Prognostication!

Having heard a lot about Adelaide dropping out of the 8 this year, it reminded me of an oft-noticed theme about footy journalism*, and the journalists: make a prediction before the season, bury it amongst the troves of undigestible rubbish they write; only revisit prediction afterwards if it is successful. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in FJ bring up their pre-season prediction in the post-season environment.

So I thought I'd do it for them.

getabrain_6917.jpg

here's me, picketing The Advertiser's football writers

I'd like to keep a time capsule if you will, of the poorly-researched, poorly-thought out, poorly written thoughts of our esteemed FJs, right here in this OP. Then at the end of the season, we'll measure them against that arbiter of truth, reality.

If you can find a ladder prediction from an FJ somewhere on the web, post a link so that I can update the OP. I'll add it to the list, and we'll see who if anyone actually knows what the **** they are talking about. Not all ladders will be done the same - I'd prefer all 18 teams, but some people only do the 8, etc. No matter - all can be measured against that which is incorruptible (reality). Just to make it interesting, I'll happily add anyone who wants to put up (at least) a premier, top 8, wooden spooner and Brownlow medallist - yes, this means you. It's like the TV show "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" except it's not TV, I'd probably say Grade Fiver, and instead of a grade fiver you're up against FJs, so the answer is an obvious yes for most of you.

*footy journalism will hereafter be written as FJ, which may or may not also stand for Fritzing Joke

Here is the current listing (updated 22/3/16):

View attachment 227093
Love how it has jays real name which i gave to him 'chronic masturbator'.. :D

The fact that many of them 'fj' are tipping geelong for the flag is laughable. Its funny though when you look at who the tip for the flag its the team they support or played for they think will win the flag mostly.
Whately, clarke of course tipped geelong.
Derm and crawf of course tipped hawthorn.
Imo its the age of a new dawn and the next few years there are many teams that can become new powerhouses. geelong and hawthorn wont be those teams.

All I can say looking at those predictions is this Dangerfield character must be one hell of a gun to drag an aging bottom half side with no depth to be a contender for top 4 and a flag. I wish we had someone like him we would've been top 4 for the last 4 years with a player like that....
Aren't whateley, Ralph and Anderson all Geelong supporters? Guess rucci is tipping powa too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media is chronically over rating the Cats. Only have to look at their last NAB game v Dockers. To half time Danger had 23 touches and the next best was barely double figures.

They have some stars no doubt but falls away quickly

Media is chronically over rating the Cats. Only have to look at their last NAB game v Dockers. To half time Danger had 23 touches and the next best was barely double figures.

They have some stars no doubt but falls away quickly
This is the issue with both port and Geelong. Same issue we've had for years. It's not the quality of the top 10 to 15 guys that's the issue, it's the quality of the next dozen guys.

I'm hoping that we have started to fix that depth issue noting that we've lost danger in the process and therefore the quality of our top 10 to 15 has reduced but hopefully the quality of the next dozen has improved.

This is the issue with both port and Geelong. Same issue we've had for years. It's not the quality of the top 10 to 15 guys that's the issue, it's the quality of the next dozen guys.

I'm hoping that we have started to fix that depth issue noting that we've lost danger in the process and therefore the quality of our top 10 to 15 has reduced but hopefully the quality of the next dozen has improved.
its the problem of every team except the one that wins the premiership most years...

Thanks for the insight. You could use that response for 80% of the discussions on BF.
lol, sorry if I couldn't match the classic "its the quality of the next dozen" line for insight.

only adding the point that everyone's depth gets exposed over the course of a season and if its s**t you get found out - plus the fact that the talent is spread so thinly across 18 teams that only 2 or 3 are likely not to struggle in this department.

Fair enough, he's a Geelong supporter and doesn't hide it. He even admitted he will always select them for the flag if they are remotely in the hunt, nothing wrong with that.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

fair and impartial reasoning <> always backs Geelong for flag if they are remotely in the hunt

Nothing wrong with that? Sure... but is he paid to express expert opinions, or barrack for Geelong? Is he held up as a journalist, or a content provider?

Fair enough, he's a Geelong supporter and doesn't hide it. He even admitted he will always select them for the flag if they are remotely in the hunt, nothing wrong with that.

That's nice that he's honest about it but he's basically just admitted he's not interested in objective journalism. He's merely an extension of Geelong's PR department.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back