Autopsy Forgotton Freakish Footballers

Remove this Banner Ad

The Krakouer Brothers were hard to beat for freakish play.

Jim and Phil Claremont players

images.jpg images-1.jpg

that went on to play together at North Melbourne.

download-1.jpg

If we are sticking to ones that have faded from the collective memory (as opposed to Blight, The Krakouers, Robbie Flower etc)....

Scott Chisolm was capable of the ridiculous and occasionally the sublime.
Darren Bewick doesn't rate much of a mention these days but was outrageous when he was on.
Brett Heady has a fair highlights reel and was a genuine match winner.

Favourite already mentioned - Darryl White (crazy good)

Just finished reading an article on it. Loved seeing Bosustow in the mix. The guy was a killer in the few years he was in the VFL. Article has footage of that amazing goal of the year he kicked.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2017/12/27/freaks-of-the-game

Also has Jeff Farmer's goal. I forgot how good that was

Just finished reading an article on it. Loved seeing Bosustow in the mix. The guy was a killer in the few years he was in the VFL. Article has footage of that amazing goal of the year he kicked.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2017/12/27/freaks-of-the-game

Also has Jeff Farmer's goal. I forgot how good that was

The Ablett goal in that article is probably my favourite. He just leaves people in his dust.

That said, I think someone like Sampi was a bit of a freak. Never really fully fit, but did the amazing. Obviously not at the same level as Blight or Ablett but still showed flashes.

The Ablett goal in that article is probably my favourite. He just leaves people in his dust.

That said, I think someone like Sampi was a bit of a freak. Never really fully fit, but did the amazing. Obviously not at the same level as Blight or Ablett but still showed flashes.

Sampi used to take better marks at high school at lunch than the one he took at the G.

He had a fair leap.

Adrian McAdam. 23 goals in his first 3 games.

This. He was bloody unstoppable in his first three games. Absolute silk, great overhead mark and at his best read the play like eddie betts. Kicked 7 on debut (i was there) then 10 against Sydney, then 6 the following week. Went on to kick more bags and if i remember correctly ended up with about 70 goals from 3/4 of a season.

Sadly it was a unique season for him and was never backed up in the following years.

Last edited:
This. He was bloody unstoppable in his first three games. Absolute silk, great overhead mark and at his best read the play like eddie betts. Kicked 7 on debut (i was there) then 10 against Sydney, then 6 the following week. Went on to kick more bags and if i remember correctly ended up with about 70 goals from 3/4 of a season.

Sadly it was a unique season for him and was never backed up in the following years.
He only played several dozen games then disappeared out Bush

Winnie Abraham , Adrian Macadam and Allan Jakovich

Was at his first game. Friday night at the 'G against Richmond. Lazy 6 iirc.

EDIT; looked it up, which I should have done in the first place. Kicked 7 that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one talks about how weirdly powerful Clint Young's kicks were. Very underrated finals goal imo, then again I'm biased AF.

Sorry about the 256 potatoes quality video.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back