Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

So sack Rutten and do what?

Bring in another coach who the senior players don't listen to, then sack him and so on and so forth. Why is it the young players put in effort yet the senior players don't? Is that Ruttens fault?

So many issues revolve around our ingrained shitty show up and get paid culture, changing coaches every 3 years aint fixing that.
It's hard when the foundations the club have set are systemically flawed. That's how you end up with a Woosha extension and a Rutten signing.

Ask yourself - why aren't some players giving effort? Are they capable and choosing not to, or completely incapable?

Was never sold and tonight I feel confirms all my reservations

Shows very little emotion which looks great on the outside but when he speaks, Im not running through brick walls for him.

The fact we head hunted him on the back of head hunting how many coaches of the last 20 years with little to no great results is an indictment on the football club.

I'd move him on at years end if we don't start seeing improvement from the guys who did improve on last year but have regressed since.
Remember when you said last week you'd learnt from the Hobbs debacle that emotional posts immediately after an event weren't the way to go?

We are currently not a good football team, just because you got hopes up after us falling into the 8 last year doesn't change the fact.
Go back through my posting history and I would have been content with one of the youngest sides / lists in the comp regressing from scraping into finals back to 12th.

Sitting 3rd last only in front of a side playing top ups and one of the worst lists we've seen in 20 years isn't exactly ok by me.

Remember when you said last week you'd learnt from the Hobbs debacle that emotional posts immediately after an event weren't the way to go?
And?

Ive seen this same story more than a few times this year where we are spanked. Am I supposed to sit around and sing kumbyah pretending to be happy with the appointment ?

Very new age of you.....Lets just keep playing the way we are then because we are really killing it.

Have said this multiple times, in this thread and in others, progress on the game style we are trying to implement is non linear, not even close.

Understand it will look like shit until it doesn’t and it may work for quarters and halves and it will wax and wane and you’re looking at something north of a miracle if you’re expecting team based growth this year. Look for individual growth.

It’s a mess, but it’s a mess because the list is a mess and the most unfit in the comp, not because of anything he has any real control over at this point.

Your argument is flawed a coaches primary job is to get the players playing with intensity
applying pressure does not take talent- it takes intent
head coach coaches creates highlights and rewards intent
by your rationale rutten is safe for a three more years or two or one?
i worry about consistent effort and no real forward structure

I feel that the honeymoon period lasted the season and only due to such an even year was highlighted by us making finals.

The coach is struggling to get the players up, to get the players to buy into what he wants etc.

Have said this multiple times, in this thread and in others, progress on the game style we are trying to implement is non linear, not even close.

Understand it will look like shit until it doesn’t and it may work for quarters and halves and it will wax and wane and you’re looking at something north of a miracle if you’re expecting team based growth this year. Look for individual growth.

It’s a mess, but it’s a mess because the list is a mess and the most unfit in the comp, not because of anything he has any real control over at this point.

I understand this but when you see the opposition dozens of times a game walk the ball out the front of the stoppage, it gets very concerning it is a game plan thing. If Merret isn't doing the defensive stuff, be a head coach and pull him from the rotation. We aren't in a position to just let players do what they want, we need to be setting examples. Same goes for Parish, Caldwell etc.

Rubbish
goLe coast implement man on man hence Sydney struggle against them
I 100 % agree with you, we played a very pressure the ball carrier style last season and then hurt them on their turnovers.
We could see the improvement so why have we gone back to Worsfold's style of play where we allow teams to get from one end to the other without any pressure ?

And?

Ive seen this same story more than a few times this year where we are spanked. Am I supposed to sit around and sing kumbyah pretending to be happy with the appointment ?
You're meant to not revert to form less than a week later.

I don't know why people cannot see that the players are the problem. Truck wants to base his brand of football on pressure and contested football. That's the right way to win a premiership. The players aren't following directions, particularly the senior mids. Unfortunately at the moment, we have no one on the list to replace underperforming senior players because we have no midfield depth.

What Rutten has to do is undo all the list management mistakes made by Dodoro, the rest of the list managers and the previous coaches (who gave into fan demand to win meaningless H&A games by playing attacking football that doesn't stand up in finals). He has to build a contested side through aggressive trading and clever drafting.

He's essentially at the beginning of where Hardwick was at Richmond and Goodwin was at Melbourne
The real test for Rutten is how he handles the off-season. I'm hoping for an aggressive off-season that fixes our midfield balance and adds more blue-collar type players to our list. We also desperately need to improve our marking ability around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard when the foundations the club have set are systemically flawed. That's how you end up with a Woosha extension and a Rutten signing.

Ask yourself - why aren't some players giving effort? Are they capable and choosing not to, or completely incapable?
I've been asking myself that since Knights 2010, it's now 12 years and 5 coaches later.

I'd happily do a firesale of any player who isn't on board Ruttens vision, any of them, as that is something different, and this club needs to do something different to get out of this pile of shit we have become over the past decade or so.

I've been asking myself that since Knights 2010, it's now 12 years and 5 coaches later.

I'd happily do a firesale of any player who isn't on board Ruttens vision, any of them, as that is something different, and this club needs to do something different to get out of this pile of shit we have become over the past decade or so.
maybe we could look into sports science. supplements and stuff.. you know?

Your argument is flawed a coaches primary job is to get the players playing with intensity
applying pressure does not take talent- it takes intent
head coach coaches creates highlights and rewards intent
by your rationale rutten is safe for a three more years or two or one?
i worry about consistent effort and no real forward structure
Any player who doesn't agree with the coaches vision, can go play reserves then get traded/delisted end of season.

Well you have to play with the list you have unfortunately and as I've said previously it seemed to work last season, I thought we may have continued to implement that same style with a few minor tweaks ?
Instead we are back to the style that Worsfold had us playing.

maybe we could look into sports science. supplements and stuff.. you know?
That bloke who was at Geelong during their premiership run has been pretty quiet lately.

Well you have to play with the list you have unfortunately and as I've said previously it seemed to work last season, I thought we may have continued to implement that same style with a few minor tweaks ?
Instead we are back to the style that Worsfold had us playing.
That style wins enough games to maybe squeak into the 8 though.

It doesn't win flags.

I'd take that right now, wouldn't you ?
We have gone backwards and quickly !
No.

Taking the easy win for short term gains to please the supporter base has happened for the past 20 years.

It hasn't been fun.

No.

Taking the easy win for short term gains to please the supporter base has happened for the past 20 years.

It hasn't been fun.

Zach Package has been suggesting for weeks now to trust the process (sounds familiar as a 76ers fan) but how long do we wait until we see the opposition walking the ball out the front of the stoppage?

Ok so what can Rutten do to change the culture of underperforming senior players when he has no one to replace them with? Under how many coaches have the same players played unaccountable football? Could it not be a product of previous coaches that focused on attack and neglected team defence?

At some point, you have to realise that coaches can only work with what they have. The only way the culture changes is with competition for spots and a more balanced list. We need more players that are capable of consistently applying Rutten's vision (which has proven to be very successful at Richmond).

Maybe it's time to consider trading some players that aren't committed to team defence and playing with consistency.

I'd take that right now, wouldn't you ?
We have gone backwards and quickly !
No I wouldn't.

I would rather take a broom to the list and sweep out any player who wants to do his own thing and not give 100% effort and follow coaching direction.

I would also prefer to recruit to a strategy, with specific traits that winning teams have (competitiveness, effort, pressure, discipline) over speculative, talented types.

I would then afford the supposed two strategic architects of the most brutally efficient pressure team of the last 30 years the ability to coach up a team that is actually going to try and do what the coaches ask of them.

What I dont want is to play a bruise free, front running brand of footy because that is what the players want, then sack our 7th coach since Sheedy because we lost yet another bruise free final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back