Freekick Port...Or Lack Of

Who Is Responsible For Our Current Officialdom Issues?

• Bad or Biased Umpiring

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • The League Officials

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Our Discipline

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Our Team Playing For Freekicks But Get Ignored

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Our Brown Paper Bag Is Not As Big Versus The Other Clubs

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Poor Coaching And Strategy

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Jack Watts Hair Cut

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss was pathetic, and so weak.

I'm not usually one to play the umpire card after a loss but I dare anyone to watch last Saturdays game and take note of the policing of incorrect disposal and holding the ball and not come to the conclusion we were playing against a different interpretation than Freo were.

They were rewarded for tackling, we were not. They were given latitiude, we were not. It was cheating - no more, no less. They wanted a result and did their best to make sure they got the result they wanted.

At one point during the third quarter the free kick count was 18-10 in Freo's favour. Not good, but from that point on it went 14-5 during the most important minutes of the game. Almost 3 to 1 for crunch time.

It was appalling umpiring and we should be saying we are not happy with how it went. We don't need to personally criticise umpires but we can (as many better AFL coaches do) say we are not happy and will be seeking to speak to the AFL regarding clarification as soon as possible.

Spot on, i thought the same thing every tackle against us when the ball came loose seemed to be paid holding the ball and yet when we did the same thing it was play on. on the wing there were 3 of our tackles in a row called play on and then we got tackled and it was holding the ball.

Why wont hinkley have a crack in his presser, its not as if the umps could give us any more of a s**t ride.

At least put it out there for debate, get a headline and people might start paying attention.

Last 5 games against Freo in Adelaide

• 2018, FK 23-17: Port by 50 (+6)
• 2017, FK 21-18: Port by 89 (+3)
• 2015, FK 22-19: Port by 69 (+3)
• 2014, FK 17-11: Port by 18 (+6)
• 2012, FK 27-16: Freo by 27 (+11)

+29 frees, Port 4-1, average winning margin: 56.5

Last 5 games against Freo in Perth

• 2019, FK 15-32: Freo by 21 (-17)
• 2018, FK 13-24: Freo by 9 (-11)
• 2016, FK 11-26: Freo by 17 (-15)
• 2015, FK 20-27: Freo by 7 (-7)
• 2014, FK 21-18: Port by 22 (+3)

-47 frees, Freo 4-1, averaging losing margin: 13.5

Lol at the one Perthesque outlier we enjoyed coming during the eclipse of 2012, where we were no chance against them or anyone.

It's a combination of being unfashionable and not sticking up for ourselves.

It’s hard not to feel like it’s a concerted campaign at times.

By the time Scott Lycett’s stock-standard mark 20m out in front of their goal wasn’t paid in Q4 (that Darcy was late to and punched it out of his hands) it was a case of ‘let’s just get this over with’.

My favourite was the non-htb decision to start the third. Gray had the Freo player pinned, caught dead to rights in the centre of the ground but no, "You're not tackling him Robbie!" That's the kind of decision where I call shenanigans.

My favourite was the non-htb decision to start the third. Gray had the Freo player pinned, caught dead to rights in the centre of the ground but no, "You're not tackling him Robbie!" That's the kind of decision where I call shenanigans.
I've never seen that in my life.

Until we have a coach with balls that will call it out it will never change.
Exactly, the coach is the mouthpiece for the club, if they appear meek and are ok with getting bent over at every opportunity then nothing will change.

Holy shiit, I mean word it differently if you have to "We seem to be getting a high amount of frees paid against us, It might mean that we'll need to have a chat to the umpires coach during the week to see how we can improve."
Just mentioning it will pay dividends, give us something you coke sipping arrogant pleb.

I hate him so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone that says "It wouldn't happen/It can't happen/umpires have too much integrity" or whatever, I point them to the SANFL stats.

If one competition can tip the balance one way for no financial gain, so too can the other, especially one with more resources and much more to gain financially.
I can also point you to stats that show that global warming is a result of a decrease in the number of pirates. ;)

We could be on positive side of the free kick count and still be on the receiving end of "inconsistent" umpiring.

There were plenty of examples over the weekend at both AFL and SNAFL level of a completely different interpretation of the rules being applied in such a way that they were unfavorable to Ports.

Exactly, the coach is the mouthpiece for the club, if they appear meek and are ok with getting bent over at every opportunity then nothing will change.

Holy shiit, I mean word it differently if you have to "We seem to be getting a high amount of frees paid against us, It might mean that we'll need to have a chat to the umpires coach during the week to see how we can improve."
Just mentioning it will pay dividends, give us something you coke sipping arrogant pleb.

I hate him so much.
Meek is a pretty good word for anything involving Hinkley unfortunately it includes our once great football club, I'm like you I loathe the sight of him he's making me hate football.. **** him off.

Normally we give a few cheap free kicks when we have our bigger bodies around, I have no issues with showing some physicality like that.

However, this past weekend wasn't anything like that. Hardly any were for our characteristically rough play.

Literally invented an entirely new interpretation of a rule to avoid paying one of the most obvious htb decisions you'll ever see haha

The fact my only reaction to that at the time was a slight sigh just shows how horrendous the umpiring was that whole game.

For me the coach not calling out bad umpiring gives them an out and no accountability but you know old mate every time we lose he comes out with the "we understand we are gonna lose some games" or "this is a tough comp" which gives players a similar out as well ugh everything the PAFC would despise in the days of yore.

For me the coach not calling out bad umpiring gives them an out and no accountability but you know old mate every time we lose he comes out with the "we understand we are gonna lose some games" or "this is a tough comp" which gives players a similar out as well ugh everything the PAFC would despise in the days of yore.

Remember the Western Bulldogs game of 2016?

We received an unusually good run and ended +13 ahead of the Scray, but Matthew Boyd made sure to have a sook to the umps at 3QT and the discrepancy was talked about widely in subsequent days.

It certainly didn’t hurt them come September, either.

That’s how it’s done.

If people honestly believe the AFL are giving the umpiring department instructions to make decisions that put us at a disadvantage then I think they should give following the game away.

It's also reasonable to say that the lopsided free kick count and our poor last quarter are not mutually exclusive. When Freo are handed soft free after soft free and we have to exert more effort to then defend the other way, and becoming naturally hesitant in tackling or trying to contain the ball, then it can affect the way we played.

Sure we made our share of mistakes too, but there are many contributing factors to the way that quarter played out.

And I hate that the club will not speak out about the disadvantage we routinely experience.

If people honestly believe the AFL are giving the umpiring department instructions to make decisions that put us at a disadvantage then I think they should give following the game away.

We all know it’s rank incompetence to match our football department. Let us indulge in conspiracy.

Back