AFLW #FreeKickCrows vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder why this is not at Adelaide Oval like last year? Surely there could be a decent crowd, especially given how popular women's sport is currently following the world cup.
I reckon its an AFL directive for whatever reason, was thinking the exact same thing with our Derby which is on the day after, went to it at Optus last year but its only at a 4-5k ground this year

How has Adelaides preseason been? Presuming we'll get thumped, but hopefully we can be more competitive this year. We go within a couple goals and it'd be a good result.

Still think the AFLw should be a two tier comp. The gap between top and bottom half is just huge and the way it is structured is horribly unbalanced and basically lacks any possible chance of success for most. A 2 div comp, with promotion and relegation would lead to a fairer draw, a main final series and a promotion finals series and a relegation zone. That'd add so much to the sport, especially while it is in its infancy and the talent pool is so stretched.

How has Adelaides preseason been?
BL 8.5.53 def by Adel 13.9.87
Adel 8.8.56
def Geel 7.8.50

Still think the AFLw should be a two tier comp. The gap between top and bottom half is just huge and the way it is structured is horribly unbalanced and basically lacks any possible chance of success for most. A 2 div comp, with promotion and relegation would lead to a fairer draw, a main final series and a promotion finals series and a relegation zone. That'd add so much to the sport, especially while it is in its infancy and the talent pool is so stretched.
The gap between top and bottom looks huge, but it can be bridged quickly. Geelong went from second last (1-9) to a home final (7-3) a year later basically off the back of drafting one player (whom Lauren Young will be at least as good as), now a genuine premiership chance.

It'll be more even this year, and way more so next.

BL 8.5.53 def by Adel 13.9.87
Adel 8.8.56
def Geel 7.8.50

The gap between top and bottom looks huge, but it can be bridged quickly. Geelong went from second last (1-9) to a home final (7-3) a year later basically off the back of drafting one player (whom Lauren Young will be at least as good as), now a genuine premiership chance.

It'll be more even this year, and way more so next.
In my opinion though, that's more justification for separation though. Some of those bottom teams get super soft draws. They also don't actually threaten on their way up, but what if they won promotion and someone else who was falling away dropped down. Personally I just think it makes a massive amount of sense. Either 8 or 16 game seasons with 2 div's and a heck of a lot more to play for for the teams trying to rise, more fair draw, and even something to play for the bottom teams in div 1.

In my opinion though, that's more justification for separation though. Some of those bottom teams get super soft draws. They also don't actually threaten on their way up, but what if they won promotion and someone else who was falling away dropped down. Personally I just think it makes a massive amount of sense. Either 8 or 16 game seasons with 2 div's and a heck of a lot more to play for for the teams trying to rise, more fair draw, and even something to play for the bottom teams in div 1.
Richmond had a soft draw, but still beat Brisbane. Geelong had a soft draw, but still only lost their EF by 2 points. Both were much more threatening last season than the teams that would've been in Div 1 (decimated Carlton, and injury-plagued Fremantle and GWS).

Other thing to consider is whether the likes of Ewings and Dowrick getting to go H2H with Marinoff and Hatchard is going to help their development more than just playing a number of seasons against other bottom 9 teams.

The SANFL finals are on this weekend at AO

Amazed they haven’t taken minor finals back to the suburbs. Can’t imagine there’d be much profit to be had at an echoing Adelaide Oval split four ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 Team Selection

B: A. Borg 21, J Cuthbertson 25
HB: C Hammond 28, H Dunn 24, A Ballard 19
C: A Foley 3, E Phillips 1-C, E Boag 17
HF: J Mules 14, G Houghton 27, J Teakle 15
F: A Saint 8, O Levicki 18
Foll: M Scholz 29, A Dowrick 5, H Ewings 12
I/C: E O’Dea 2, Y Duursma 7, I Tahau 10, J Stewart 13, M MacLachlan 16,

Emergencies: M Keryk 26, Li Cockatoo-Motlap 30, K Pope 44

371882009_278977091549911_4221818115414075967_n.jpg

Liking that midfield.

Round 1 Team Selection

I know it's just the naming, but it's a bit symbolic in round 1, and I'm surprised that Tahau isn't named at CHB. Also that's a way taller forward line than you'd hope we actually field.

Looks like a great midfield. Still worries me that Hammond makes the side. Based on last year I was hopeful she'd be cut.

Round 1 Team Selection

Bit of a different line up in the 'Match Centre' - can't see Hannah Ewings starting on the bench somehow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back