AFLW #FreeKickCrows vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering where my expectations were I give that a B rating. Arnell could turn it into a B+ by how she responds to the umpiring, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Well beaten in the second half. First quarter was semi-competitive and second quarter was good. Overall sort of a C+ effort for me.

Outside of the shithouse umpiring, main takeaway from the game is that we have a very slow side. Thought Adelaide cut us up on the outside and were able to outnumber most of the game.

Hard to tell if it is fitness or personnel. Probably a combination of both. Needs to be a consideration in player acquisition and turnover.

Good thing is that we are in a position where we probably get access to the top 2 or 3 U18 draftees and from what I understand this years SA crop is very strong.

Getting a bit fed up with constantly being flogged by the Crows. Don't even understand why we have to play them at all in the W, when we only play 10 games. Surely at our development stage, those games should largely be against like teams?
I agree, it seems rather unfair, especially as going forward the club that has the highest finishes in both their AFLW and AFL team will be given $1 million by the AFL.

I agree, it seems rather unfair, especially as going forward the club that has the highest finishes in both their AFLW and AFL team will be given $1 million by the AFL.
We should never shy away from playing the crows in any form of the game. Even if it means getting walloped by a club at a far more advanced stage of development.

Take the beating and the lesson it sends about just how far we are behind in terms of class and skill. And take the steps needed to change things. Whining about 'unfairness' is not the Port way.

These are professional players in a professional league - not juniors or amateurs ffs.

I cannot accept a 30 point loss after being in touch at half time. There were some positives but overall I do not see a huge improvement on last year. From where I sit Lauren Arnell has some work to do.

We have recruited some talent but there is still a lack of cohesion and teamwork. Too many good individual efforts without any combinations to move the ball with purpose. Too many times a player will do really well to win the footy then have no one to either handball or kick to.

It is up to Arnell to get the talent playing well together, hopefully that occurs and we improve as the season progresses. If we do not show improvement then Arnell should go. This won't please the feminists but the successful AFLW sides all seem to have male coaches with AFL playing experience.

Last edited:
Well beaten in the second half. First quarter was semi-competitive and second quarter was good. Overall sort of a C+ effort for me.

Outside of the shithouse umpiring, main takeaway from the game is that we have a very slow side. Thought Adelaide cut us up on the outside and were able to outnumber most of the game.

Hard to tell if it is fitness or personnel. Probably a combination of both. Needs to be a consideration in player acquisition and turnover.

Good thing is that we are in a position where we probably get access to the top 2 or 3 U18 draftees and from what I understand this years SA crop is very strong.
Not sure if we have a slow side (relative to the average), we actually have some decent runners.

Adelaide have an exceptionally quick side which makes us look slow comparatively.

Getting a bit fed up with constantly being flogged by the Crows. Don't even understand why we have to play them at all in the W, when we only play 10 games. Surely at our development stage, those games should largely be against like teams?
I say it all the time, there should be 2 divisions with promotion and relegation. Give the developing low teams something to play for. The gap and talent spread in the comp is too big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the standard improved or was it the usual stuff that's normally dished up?

Is this the Ben Keays square up?

Even the AFL is not so stupid. No psychologist, but a fan base as deluded and as entitled as theirs could only ever take an apparent “gift” or “square up” as a sign that they should have won both comps anyway. They literally can not be helped.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Was there a reason that our best mid didn’t seem to get a run on the ball until well into the last quarter?

"Making matters worse for Port, Hannah Ewings will come under scrutiny for a sling tackle on Kiera Mueller during the final quarter."

(from match report on AFLW site)

Was there a reason that our best mid didn’t seem to get a run on the ball until well into the last quarter?

Arnell made reference post match to our desire to position dangerous players ahead of the ball (this was in reference to Tahau but I think it equally applies to Ewings). I get the logic as we struggled to score last season but then again we didn't have Saint last season and Houghton barely played so we would look more dangerous than last season regardless of whether we moved Tahau and Ewings forward.

Probably the overall thinking is that less polished players like Dowrick, Stewart, Moloney when she returns, etc, can do the grunt work in the midfield and then Ewings can play a more Phillips like hybrid forward-midfield role. The jury is out for me at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back