Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

He did it a couple of times for GWS in 2015. Concede the hit outs and let him play as an extra midfielder around the ground.

If Jack Watts can give Gawn a chop out for 5 minutes a quarter then pretty much any key forward can cover for Sandilands. There's certainly no need for Griffin.
Cams no midfielder or ruck, unless Freo have developed a side of him I've never seen. Any time he spent as a ruck would be a shock option or because no one else could get to the ball up. He's plenty mobile enough to play midfield but he's a contested marker not a ground level player.

Last edited:
Cams no midfielder or ruck, unless Froe have developed a side of him I've never seen. Any time he spent as a ruck would be a shock option or because no one else could get to the ball up. He's plenty mobile enough to play midfield but he's a contested marker not a ground level player.
Exactly, It's stupid af to move our only capable key forward into the ruck. Imagine if Pav played second ruck...

Exactly, It's stupid af to move our only capable key forward into the ruck. Imagine if Pav played second ruck...
Losing apeness hurts. I have big wraps on strnadica though but hes going to take some time. Darcy is a big lump of a lad that will take time and at this stage is only a ruck.

Why not use johno and let your fwds concentrate on being a fwd. You have more depth down back to cover johno as well

Pav played every other position on the ground at times, why not ruck! The point is Freo need to modernise and become a ball movement and running/skills team. They've got the running players to do it and they've got the mids to win stoppages with or without ruck support. What they need to do is get rid of the idea of 2 dinosaur ruckman and mix at match the key forwards going in for 5 minutes a quarter to back up Sandi starting with Taberner but maybe even if needed on the day McCarthy and to start playing a skill based game. If/when Apeness comes back that will be great but until then Freo need to play with hard running and using the space of Subi and quick movement. Ross worries too much about structures that he doesn't have the players to make work.

I can't believe Freo signed him on until 2020

What Ross has done at Freo, is exactly the same as what he did at Saints. Had a decent team with a few absolute A-graders and a bunch of B or C support players and had a game plan that got them to the big dance, but never enough to win it. Now that game plan is just about antiqued, and yet he won't change.....

Now the list has moved on in age, they've lost Pav and he is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result

His time in footy is done (well at least as a head coach) and i think Freo are in for a world of pain if they don't move him on

Three key planks of the rebuild are sitting on the pine.
Apeness should be the gorilla key forward we need.
Alex Pearce was showing every sign of being the McPharlin clone we need.
And Bennell...well he can play Danyle Pearce's role on his dodgy calves...if he gets fit we will improve instantly...

I would be fast tracking Sean Darcy, Griffin Logue, Harley Balic and Luke Ryan now...
The game style seems to be in flux. Against Collingwood in the JLT we saw something that was very likeable.
Under pressure against Geelong, that all disappeared.
I want to see that again, even if it is a mistake riddled mess

Last edited:
Based on what they dished up last Sunday, we finally might see a club go an entire season without winning a game. Appalling display.

His presser was interesting in respect to him taking responsibility for the loss. Given that he is in only the second year of a five year deal, he does have some security to say things like that at this point in time. But it seemed more like he wanted to control the narrative, blame himself and not let any heat go on the playing group.

For me I think this is a bit of BS for fact that the team is not up to scratch, and almost like the used car salesman approach we used to see from C Connelly, rather then meticulous Lyon that he's betrayed himself as in the past.

I'm surprised people thought Freo would just automatically bounce back to being a finals contender just because they were getting back Fyfe and Sandilands along with a few other recruits, none of which are superstars.

They are pretty much at the same stage St Kilda were at about 4 or 5 years ago where we still had a sprinkling of A graders but had a lot of average players or youngsters that weren't ready to be consistently good AFL players. I don't see them turning things around quickly, they need a few years of rebuilding via the draft to get back to being a genuine finals contender and I'm not sure Lyon is the right man for that job given that he's only coached finals ready teams.
I can tell by your post, you still hate Ross Lyon. I can sense the venom in your post as well. If I typed similar posts towards towards your team I would get banned.

I can tell by your post, you still hate Ross Lyon. I can sense the venom in your post as well. If I typed similar posts towards towards your team I would get banned.

That's because you use tough man Tony Abbott tactics ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean? Freo went from No.1 at the end of the H&A in 2015 to 16th in 2016.
So why the drop? Go look at Freos 2015 team. Then compared that to Geelong of 2014. Freos 2015 was good but not great. We won a lot of close games in 2015 such as round 1 vs Port and beating the tigers after the siren at the MCG. Geelong in 2014 got 15 wins and top 4. 7 of those Geelong wins were by 12 points or less.

Freos drop off was due to injuries and confidence being shot. I have said it before and I will say it again. Freos 2016 by that round 5 loss vs Carlton. Sadilands, Fyfe and Johnson were all injured and didn't play again until round 1, 2017. We looked in some games in the 1st 2 rounds, scoring 100 points each to north and Gold coast but still lost by 5 goals each... We were better than the 4-18 record suggested. We should of got 8-9 wins in 2016. But again, we just couldn't finish teams off when we had the chance in some games.

We lost to GWS and Geelong at home by 17 and 18 points too. No matter how hard we tried, we just couldn't win.

Another thing that needs to be brought up how big a Loss Luke McPharlin and Paul Duffied was. Mcpharlin will go down as our best key defender in freos history. McPharlin, Dawson, and Johnson were our 3 key defenders only Problem was that are in the same age bracket. Mcpharlin retired as a 34 year old. Johnson is 32 and dead certain to be his last season. Dawson is 31 andwill play one more season as Alex Pearce and Sam Collins develop.

Question for Freo supporters. If Lyon is a great coach why was Muzungu and De Boer sent to the WAFL with no hope of playing AFL? Only answer I've received is Ross didn't like them.
All jokes aside, I just dont believe our best 22 is easier to to break into than yours.
I dont doubt for a minute MaCarthy will deliver for you and I'm sure the doubters haven't seem him play at his best, and neither have you guys yet I'd suggest but you will.
Glad you asked this question. Happy to answer this one too. Most people on the freo board loved Mzungu and De Boer. But if you look back at their 2015 and 2016 seasons, they both were not as good as their 2012-14 seasons.

We were dying to pay youth over these 2 and clancee pearce in 2015. Why did Mzungu and De boer get games over the kids like weller and Blakely and Langdon in 2015? Mzungu and Deboer were not the 2 best players on the list. I think they constantly got games regard less of form was because Ross Lyon knew they had a big enough tank to run games out. They were good endurance runners. Now this is just my opinion.

Happy to see Blakely, weller and Langdon get games this year though.

So why the drop? Go look at Freos 2015 team. Then compared that to Geelong of 2014. Freos 2015 was good but not great. We won a lot of close games in 2015 such as round 1 vs Port and beating the tigers after the siren at the MCG. Geelong in 2014 got 15 wins and top 4. 7 of those Geelong wins were by 12 points or less.

Freos drop off was due to injuries and confidence being shot. I have said it before and I will say it again. Freos 2016 by that round 5 loss vs Carlton. Sadilands, Fyfe and Johnson were all injured and didn't play again until round 1, 2017. We looked in some games in the 1st 2 rounds, scoring 100 points each to north and Gold coast but still lost by 5 goals each... We were better than the 4-18 record suggested. We should of got 8-9 wins in 2016. But again, we just couldn't finish teams off when we had the chance in some games.

We lost to GWS and Geelong at home by 17 and 18 points too. No matter how hard we tried, we just couldn't win.

Another thing that needs to be brought up how big a Loss Luke McPharlin and Paul Duffied was. Mcpharlin will go down as our best key defender in freos history. McPharlin, Dawson, and Johnson were our 3 key defenders only Problem was that are in the same age bracket. Mcpharlin retired as a 34 year old. Johnson is 32 and dead certain to be his last season. Dawson is 31 andwill play one more season as Alex Pearce and Sam Collins develop.

Glad you asked this question. Happy to answer this one too. Most people on the freo board loved Mzungu and De Boer. But if you look back at their 2015 and 2016 seasons, they both were not as good as their 2012-14 seasons.

We were dying to pay youth over these 2 and clancee pearce in 2015. Why did Mzungu and De boer get games over the kids like weller and Blakely and Langdon in 2015? Mzungu and Deboer were not the 2 best players on the list. I think they constantly got games regard less of form was because Ross Lyon knew they had a big enough tank to run games out. They were good endurance runners. Now this is just my opinion.

Happy to see Blakely, weller and Langdon get games this year though.
Fair enough
Teams have different needs. We're a fair way off a rebuild and actually need to mix older heads with the talented youngsters still IMO. I thought it was a fair question, and you gave a fair answer.
You could argue Leon just doesn't rate Ross's view of them, more likely they were cheap or free at the trade table and fit our need.

Fair enough
Teams have different needs. We're a fair way off a rebuild and actually need to mix older heads with the talented youngsters still IMO. I thought it was a fair question, and you gave a fair answer.
You could argue Leon just doesn't rate Ross's view of them, more likely they were cheap or free at the trade table and fit our need.
knew 2nd year players like Blakely, Weller and Langdon got games. Sam Collins who is a dawson replacement payed 12 games. Darcy tucker got a few games as well. In the end we literally had no choice but to play kids in the last 6-8 games of the season. The results wasn't going to effect freo anyway.

Have a go at Lyon all you like, but overall the Freo club is definitely not stagnant.

If Freo admin had just sat on their hands and refused to be aggressive with the draft & trades, I would agree that they were in a comfort zone and satisfied with life & their pay cheques. The drafts & trades have been made, we await ( end of season ? ) to make a judgement on these moves.

To people not in WA, please note that the Freo "Reserves" ( Peel ), are doing ok with 2 wins out of 2 games. Beating the Eagles "Reserves" ( East Perth ), showing that their youngsters are doing ok.

Not all doom and gloom.

Please advise who is the best "new" candidate for a coaching role ?.

for all you chaps on here... Some people should look at this....

View attachment 351645

crows only used 29 players in 2016. Saints won 12 games with little to no injuries.... West coast and Geelong didn't do too badly ether

Bad excuse, sorry mate.

We were playing horrible football in the first 5 rounds last year, when most of our players, including Fyfe were still available. Our season was already dead after that.

I am cautiously optimistic that we can improve this year, but I've certainly had my hopes dashed from potential finals to a probable bottom 8 finish. Skills are the most worrying thing for me. They've never been great under Ross even during our Top 4 phase, but we were always able to cover with great team pressure, belief in each other and structure. We look like a real mess right now though.

I have always backed Ross, he has given our group a resilience that was always missing, he's intelligent and an excellent communicator. He deserves the chance to turn this slump around. But the early signs are worrying, and the heat should deservedly be on if the trend continues.

give the team a chance, its only been 1 game. If they start the season 0-9 then I reckon even the staunchest Docker fan would be calling for the head of Lyon.

Heck lock him in for another 5 year contract now Dockers, he is the best coach ever after all :D:p

Hawthorn are finished too.

Looks like Geelongs era started well before these 2 and looks to continue well after.

give the team a chance, its only been 1 game. If they start the season 0-9 then I reckon even the staunchest Docker fan would be calling for the head of Lyon.

Heck lock him in for another 5 year contract now Dockers, he is the best coach ever after all :D:p
yeah another weak post here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back