Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmuir has been given a bit of an odd 1 year extension - I’m sure the Freo guys will be able to put their positive spin on this but 1 just seems a bit…naff?

Don’t know if it helps him much right now.

That said - they WILL beat Brisbane on the weekend and more than likely play finals in 2024.

So by mid season this could be looking like a pre-emotive masterstroke.
AFL clubs do their best to make sure coaches don’t have to be accountable.

Coaches contracts are worth nothing. No extension, 1 year or 10 years. When we are out of finals contentions midseason he could be gone no matter what contract he has. No mercy for coaches at any club.

Donald Trump GIF

From a coaching perspective Longmuir has been ok IMO. Very Bomber Thompson like in instilling the defensive principles first. Even King/Ottens is a parallel to Darcy/Jackson. King was AA ruck in his early twenties but body fell apart. Ottens was recruited as a forward and ends up #1 ruckman due to King being cooked.

Freo's problem is the list management. They have lost two players a year for 5+ years. If you are finding two AFL standard players a year you are doing a good job. If you are losing two each year, you need to find four which makes it tough when you are trying to rebuild. If the players are leaving because of Longmuir, that is on him, if not they need to clear out the people responsible for list management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a coaching perspective Longmuir has been ok IMO. Very Bomber Thompson like in instilling the defensive principles first. Even King/Ottens is a parallel to Darcy/Jackson. King was AA ruck in his early twenties but body fell apart. Ottens was recruited as a forward and ends up #1 ruckman due to King being cooked.

Freo's problem is the list management. They have lost two players a year for 5+ years. If you are finding two AFL standard players a year you are doing a good job. If you are losing two each year, you need to find four which makes it tough when you are trying to rebuild. If the players are leaving because of Longmuir, that is on him, if not they need to clear out the people responsible for list management.
This is mostly right except the last sentence after the final comma.

It is very obvious that we have prioritised certain players over others regarding list management and that's why we keep losing B22 (except Schultz who was compassionate apparently). My argument for a long time has been that this is clearly an all in by everyone at the club (including JL) and this is backed up by bulk messaging out of the club over a long period and emphasised yesterday with this announcement.

We've been sacrificing the short term for (hopeful) long term gains. Now is not the time to march the list management team but you can bet your ass they are all gone if we're not a persistent top 4 over the next decade.

Obviously the general footy public doesn't see or care (including most Freo fans), but its deliberate and why I am more patient than most. Its the first time we have ever displayed proper forward planning and actually carried it out, even when tested by the media etc.

Coaches contracts are worth nothing. No extension, 1 year or 10 years. When we are out of finals contentions midseason he could be gone no matter what contract he has. No mercy for coaches at any club.

But doesn’t that just mean you’ll have to pay him out more when you do sack him?

There was no need to extend so soon as no one would want him. I think they did it to relieve a bit of media pressure, but strong clubs don’t make decisions based on the media. St Kilda made an identical mistake with Ratts.

Freo would want to hope JL is the right guy.

But doesn’t that just mean you’ll have to pay him out more when you do sack him?

There was no need to extend so soon as no one would want him. I think they did it to relieve a bit of media pressure, but strong clubs don’t make decisions based on the media. St Kilda made an identical mistake with Ratts.

Freo would want to hope JL is the right guy.
I think he was very unlikely to get sacked this year either way for the reasons I wrote above.

I think he was very unlikely to get sacked this year either way for the reasons I wrote above.

Freo have lost many decent players with 5+ years of great footy left. Logue, Cerra, Schulz, Henry, Acres, Hogan, Langdon. How long term is this approach? How much more short term pain is required?

To me it doesn’t look strategic at all. It looks like your progress is constantly being derailed because you can’t retain players for one reason or another. There is obviously no issue with drafting or development.

Longmuir was appointed in September 2019, after 5 trade periods and pre seasons Freo should be further along with some of the above names playing key roles. Instead they are sat waiting for the next batch of kids to pick up the slack.

Freo have lost many decent players with 5+ years of great footy left. Logue, Cerra, Schulz, Henry, Acres, Hogan, Langdon. How long term is this approach? How much more short term pain is required?

To me it doesn’t look strategic at all. It looks like your progress is constantly being derailed because you can’t retain players for one reason or another. There is obviously no issue with drafting or development.

Longmuir was appointed in September 2019, after 5 trade periods and pre seasons Freo should be further along with some of the above names playing key roles. Instead they are sat waiting for the next batch of kids to pick up the slack.
Scratch Cerra, Hogan and Langdon. All pre JL (Cerra left after but you could see it on his face when drafted). Also that was a massive win for us overall.

Don't look at the time, look at the players. The "Core":

Darcy, Jackson, Amiss, Serong, Brayshaw, Clark, Cox, Pearce, Walker, Chapman, Ryan, Young, Johnson, Frederick, Treacy*, Erasmus, O'Driscoll**

We're not waiting for new kids to do the work, we are waiting for those above to hit their straps, which only a few really have. Then all the role player B22 types (Switta, JoM, Aish etc) and old dudes (Fyfe and Walters) can support.

* The McDonald stuff makes this arguable.
** Maybe

Anybody drafted at this point is just a bonus or a replacement for someone old.

I have no idea how many times we have to do this, but here goes again:

- Langdon: Left in 2019 before JLo

- Hogan: Exited under JLo and Bell's purge of undesirable characters (along with Hill and Bennell). No coincidence the number of bad behaviour stories in the West dropped from one a month to none in 3/4 years with them leaving.

- Logue/Hamling (you missed Hamling): Decent players that couldn't get in our Best 22 and had to move for a chance of regular footy (and yes Logue did play 14/15 games in 2022 - most of them up forward as cover for Amiss/Taberner - where he was servicable at best).

- Lobb (another one you missed): Whilst not in the papers for bad behaviour you would struggle to find a more unpopular player. Ask Doggies fans what they think of him. No one mourned his departure.

Which leaves Cerra, Schultz and Acres as players who have left - that any Freo fan would welcome back tomorrow (Henry not there because not many Freo fans - myself included - believe he has the ability to be a best 22 player in a finals team).

Over the same period as losing Cerra, Schultz and Acres we have traded in Jackson, Clark and Aish who are all easily Best 22 - so three good'uns out; three good'uns in.

As well as trading in O'Meara and Brodie - and picking up AFL experienced players in Sharp, McDonald (O), and Wagner - none of them great players, but not worse than Logue/Hamling/Henry/Lobb.

Plus JLo has given AFL debuts to: Young, Serong, Amiss, Treacy, Johnson, Erasmus, Frederick, Emmett and Chapman.

We have done a complete rebuild, with only Fyfe and Walters left from our Best 2022 in 2016. And despite this we haven't plumbed the depths that Carlton, St Kilda, North, West Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne have in the last 10 years.

Those that say 'JLo has been there five seasons are completely ignoring the fact that for the first three of those years the best footy coach on the planet would not have got these kids into finals. Strategically our finals window was always intended to be opening from 2023 - we got there a year early (probably over-performing) and then stumbled last year.

Yes, this year the pressure is on JLo. We should be in our window now, even with the loss of a couple of good players. He should and will be judged on both results AND game style.

Would I have given him an extension at this time - no, he needs to prove himself and this year has all of the tools to do so

Do I want him gone like so many seem to do - no, his performance in 2022 showed he's got it in him to coach a finals winning team.

Am I deeply worried after the Port Adelaide pre-season game - you bet!!

I have no idea how many times we have to do this, but here goes again:

- Langdon: Left in 2019 before JLo

- Hogan: Exited under JLo and Bell's purge of undesirable characters (along with Hill and Bennell). No coincidence the number of bad behaviour stories in the West dropped from one a month to none in 3/4 years with them leaving.

- Logue/Hamling (you missed Hamling): Decent players that couldn't get in our Best 22 and had to move for a chance of regular footy (and yes Logue did play 14/15 games in 2022 - most of them up forward as cover for Amiss/Taberner - where he was servicable at best).

- Lobb (another one you missed): Whilst not in the papers for bad behaviour you would struggle to find a more unpopular player. Ask Doggies fans what they think of him. No one mourned his departure.

Which leaves Cerra, Schultz and Acres as players who have left - that any Freo fan would welcome back tomorrow (Henry not there because not many Freo fans - myself included - believe he has the ability to be a best 22 player in a finals team).

Over the same period as losing Cerra, Schultz and Acres we have traded in Jackson, Clark and Aish who are all easily Best 22 - so three good'uns out; three good'uns in.

As well as trading in O'Meara and Brodie - and picking up AFL experienced players in Sharp, McDonald (O), and Wagner - none of them great players, but not worse than Logue/Hamling/Henry/Lobb.

Plus JLo has given AFL debuts to: Young, Serong, Amiss, Treacy, Johnson, Erasmus, Frederick, Emmett and Chapman.

We have done a complete rebuild, with only Fyfe and Walters left from our Best 2022 in 2016. And despite this we haven't plumbed the depths that Carlton, St Kilda, North, West Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne have in the last 10 years.

Those that say 'JLo has been there five seasons are completely ignoring the fact that for the first three of those years the best footy coach on the planet would not have got these kids into finals. Strategically our finals window was always intended to be opening from 2023 - we got there a year early (probably over-performing) and then stumbled last year.

Yes, this year the pressure is on JLo. We should be in our window now, even with the loss of a couple of good players. He should and will be judged on both results AND game style.

Would I have given him an extension at this time - no, he needs to prove himself and this year has all of the tools to do so

Do I want him gone like so many seem to do - no, his performance in 2022 showed he's got it in him to coach a finals winning team.

Am I deeply worried after the Port Adelaide pre-season game - you bet!!

I didn’t include Hamling or Lobb because I was only talking about players who had 5+ years of good footy left. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to move on older players when you’re rebuilding especially if they aren’t leaders and you can cash in.

And I don’t think the problem is the quality of players coming in or out. Freo are probably up overall.

The problem is that you are generally replacing the out going players with players who are younger with less experience. A player like Erasmus may end up having a better career than Cerra but what’s the point if it means your midfield build is delayed by another two seasons. The experienced players you pick up are mostly bottom 6 or depth.

There is nothing to suggest you should actually be contending other than talent. The age profile is not that of a contender. 15th for average age and 17th for games played 5 years into a build (could argue it all started in 2016) should be concerning and I don’t think it’s by design.

With a good draft hand next year I think Freo need to chase best 22 talent that is ready to go, luckily for your sake there isn’t too much quality on your OOC list but that hasn’t stopped you in the past.

The only real mistakes from a list management perspective I think were;
  • Acres who was offered a low ball contract as were well advanced in talks with both Angus Brayshaw and Jeremy Sharp at the time, plus Henry was expected to come on. None of these eventuated. He’s been a big loss on the wing but realistically had only had one good season at that point so was still a risk. He has however proven the list management team wrong.
  • Logue was chasing a cheap $400,000 ish 2 year contract early in his final season with us when he was struggling to find his place in our best 22 and we never signed him. North then threw a stupid offer at him later in the year when he was finally putting a few good games together. Always had the physical attributes but struggled to stay on the park in his early years. Given we ended up playing Ethan Hughes most of last season Logue would have been in front of him and found a place as a third tall (forward or back) or I reckon even on wing as an outlet mark out of defence given we struggled there (and trialled Hughes in this position).
  • you could argue we let Hogan go a year too early / too cheaply but the reality is he was an absolute train wreck back in WA with his old mates and the Eagles sponsored West Australian newspaper was eating him alive (as they do with all Dockers players while ignoring the Eagles - Liam Ryan’s escapades going unreported is a classic example!). He was always a massive risk back here which didn’t pay off but given we’ve been screaming out for a quality forward forever (before, during and after the Pav years/decades) we had to have a crack.
Pretty much every other list movement has either been planned, beneficial, unavoidable (Shultz and Cerra) or as a result of one recalcitrant player manger who had a self confessed vendetta against Bell and the Dockers (Henry a good example of this).
If Logue and Acres were here we likely would have had a better season last year but I don’t honestly think they are the missing links to sustained finals success.
Would still prefer they were though so those calls are on us - which is possibly why Bell has been moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure he is the man to take them forward. Has to be questioned.

They will not win a flag with that boring the game plan. Keeping the opposition within striking distance.

First of all I would punish the players for being so undisciplined in the last 5 minutes, then I would work on creating an attacking brand of football that can consistently kick a winning score.

This is tough for me to say as they are my second team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back