Grand Slam French Open 2020

Who is winning the FO

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The risk he runs is that there are finally a handful of players emerging who COULD fill the breach to some extent. If Thiem ever gets it all together he will be lethal.

On clay maybe and the US where it suits- weirdly the US isn't a surface Novak likes, he's said it over and over again. Novak will still have Wimbledon and Australia where he'd be a $1.60 fav tomorrow if they were run. I don't rate the generation next. I do rate the generation after them (Sinner, etc)

On clay maybe and the US where it suits- weirdly the US isn't a surface Novak likes, he's said it over and over again. Novak will still have Wimbledon and Australia where he'd be a $1.60 fav tomorrow if they were run. I don't rate the generation next. I do rate the generation after them (Sinner, etc)

fair play. I just tend to think Thiem in particular has enough about him to be fairly prolific. While Djokovic and Federer have been able to square with or beat Nadal using precision and some admittedly very good shotmaking, Thiem is the one player I've seen that can absolutely smash Nadal off the court with power, and if he can do it to him, if he finds some consistency he can do it to anyone.

fair play. I just tend to think Thiem in particular has enough about him to be fairly prolific. While Djokovic and Federer have been able to square with or beat Nadal using precision and some admittedly very good shotmaking, Thiem is the one player I've seen that can absolutely smash Nadal off the court with power, and if he can do it to him, if he finds some consistency he can do it to anyone.

Different game styles. Thiem has grown up on a clay court he'll naturally be better on the clay. He still hasn't beaten Nadal at the French...Novak has. There are only two that have- Novak and Robin Soderling. Will Thiem win a few slams, yes he should. Will he dominate like these three have, I personally have to trust my judgement and say no. Probably gets 3-4 Slams so a Murray type of total. That isn't a bad thing, it's just unlucky the bloke has the 3 of the 4 (Laver the other) greatest players of all time ahead of him and all playing in the same era. Them actually is a good match up for Novak as unlike Nadal he does give you chances the way he hits the ball so flat. Can win sets but then have an array of errors.

I’m resigned to Novak never winning another French. Its a shame as I think if he collected another, he’d then clearly be the GOAT.

In the first set Novak was hitting the lines, but Nadal was able to hit even bigger return shots. It was phenomenal actually that a true great was playing well-ish, yet was down 5-0 at that point. As a supporter of Novak, watching him against Nadal on Clay is probably what the English use to endure when Bradman was around.

I’m resigned to Novak never winning another French. Its a shame as I think if he collected another, he’d then clearly be the GOAT.

In the first set Novak was hitting the lines, but Nadal was able to hit even bigger return shots. It was phenomenal actually that a true great was playing well-ish, yet was down 5-0 at that point. As a supporter of Novak, watching him against Nadal on Clay is probably what the English use to endure when Bradman was around.

Novak can win another French when Nadal retires

Can you really see Nadal retiring from the French in the next 3-4 years? I literally can't see what would stop him from basically playing it and nothing else every year if he wanted to

He has maybe 2 years left. Won’t go much more than that with his style of play

Based on what we can see, that's probably a fair comment. based on what has been said about him for the last 7-8 years..... I'd have thought people would learn their lesson by now.

Purely as gen next is useless he may push a year more but he’ll have to pick and choose tournaments a bit after 2021. Novak has already indicated that’s his plan

Purely as gen next is useless he may push a year more but he’ll have to pick and choose tournaments a bit after 2021. Novak has already indicated that’s his plan

For all the chat about his style and the toll it takes etc etc, in 17 full seasons on tour Nadal has only missed 5 slams through injury and only two of them have had anything to do with his knee, and those were 8-10 years back. If his wrist holds up he isn't nearly as fragile as what a lot of people thought he was. i would imagine he will be very choosy but I think he's going to get more out of his body than what people expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished watching. Relieved to say that’s despite the scoreline Djokovic played well. The first set being 6-0 is an absolute joke and shows you the utterly RIDICULOUS level Nadal was at. Second set pretty much the same. I can’t believe the standard Rafa played at. Djoko just couldn’t win the big points, and struggled for emotion and energy at times. Like honestly playing at that level in the first set, Djoko wins most sets. And yet he walked away losing 6-0. Crazy.

For all the chat about his style and the toll it takes etc etc, in 17 full seasons on tour Nadal has only missed 5 slams through injury and only two of them have had anything to do with his knee, and those were 8-10 years back. If his wrist holds up he isn't nearly as fragile as what a lot of people thought he was. i would imagine he will be very choosy but I think he's going to get more out of his body than what people expected.
Great post. In fact just watching tonight, remember when Rafa was mid 20’s and everyone thought his knees would be cooked soon, and that late 20’s he’d be a shadow of himself. His longevity is a tad surprising and a massive credit to him and his team. What a freak.

Just finished watching. Relieved to say that’s despite the scoreline Djokovic played well. The first set being 6-0 is an absolute joke and shows you the utterly RIDICULOUS level Nadal was at. Second set pretty much the same. I can’t believe the standard Rafa played at. Djoko just couldn’t win the big points, and struggled for emotion and energy at times. Like honestly playing at that level in the first set, Djoko wins most sets. And yet he walked away losing 6-0. Crazy.

Great post. In fact just watching tonight, remember when Rafa was mid 20’s and everyone thought his knees would be cooked soon, and that late 20’s he’d be a shadow of himself. His longevity is a tad surprising and a massive credit to him and his team. What a freak.

Ivan Lendl is the first player I can recall who really made physical conditioning an extra part to his game. I’m sure there were players before him who were fitter than their contemporaries but none that made it a weapon to rank alongside the serve, or the volley, or heavy ground strokes.

Many people looked at the attritional side of Nadal’s game and thought it would define his body.

It’s the opposite.

In amongst his incredible skill and his freak levels of discipline off both sides of his body, his body defines his game.

He plays those four hour matches, those hour long sets, because his body is so well prepared. He knows he can outlast anyone and that the longer a point goes, the better his chances of winning.

Even Djokovic last night, and more regularly Federer throughout their rivalry, they visibly have moments where you can just tell they think ‘I cannot out-rally this guy. Sooner or later I have to pull the trigger.’

And while both of them are skilful enough to succeed with it from time to time, so many moments are clear where they just realise ‘I have to hit a winner or a huge unreturnable.’

I don’t think Nadal ever has those moments.

Djokovic being as good as he is, when he’s on faster courts and Nadal is a bit off his best, can legit win points in a battle of patience, but it’s rarely if ever because Nadal consciously says ‘I’m going to go for broke to end this point.’

Back