Multiplat Gaming VPNs. Reducing your in game Ping, Lag and packet loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok.
So the premise is a Gaming VPN will help you reduce your in game pings and stabilise your packet loss resulting in a crisper and less aggravating experience.
How does it work? I don't know. I could speculate but it would be pretty flimsy information.
From what I can gather it'll latch your data onto a local node which then has a more direct and secure route to your required destination node, by reducing the number of hops required. This results in faster and more stable Round Trip Times.

I came across a link recommending www.exitlag.com recently & naturally curiosity took hold.
Obviously you should never impulse buy as that makes for an regrettable decision so I checked for alternatives...

www.exitlag.com $6.50usd monthly subscription 3 day free trial
www.pingbooster.com $3.99usd monthly subscription
www.mudfish.net $0 monthly, pay for what you use in $aud

After a little digging I found the minimum spend with Mudfish is $3aud (more on that later).
So being a tightarse I set up an account with Mudfish and downloaded the app.
I followed the quickstart guide to set up my IP and added PUBG as one of my supported games for Mudfish to intercept the data packets for.
I then added the minimum $3aud of credit to my account and here's the good part: $3 gives 18.4GB of gaming optimised VPN data which PUBG will consume at 40MB per hour. So that's 450 hours worth of gameplay approx!
For me that's around a years worth of VPN optimised gaming data! FOOK off monthly subscriptions!

Yeah yeah cool story bro. what about the pings?

Ok ok. Check out the screenshots. Ping with Mudfish disabled was 277ms. Admittedly a little higher than my usual 230ms.
2019.01.22-23.03.png

With Mudfish enabled and Japan node selected here I am at 106ms which was a bit of an outlier. Probably averaged between 110ms & 125ms. 2019.01.22-22.56.png

PUBG pingchecker to help determine geographical server locations. Most of when we play AS is hosted in Japan. if SEA it's hosted in Singapore.
2019.01.22-23.20_02.png

Mudfish Dashboard showing $3 credit for 18.4gb data. Also graphs an s**t.
2019.01.22-23.25.png

My Mudfish PUBG settings showing destination as Asia Japan & routing path through Sydney via a Mudfish Node
2019.01.22-23.20_01.png

Seems pretty cool. On face value I've slashed my PUBG pings pretty much in half bearing in mind the only OC servers for PUBG are for TPP forcing FPP players into Asian servers. I have only played for 10mins, so no extended data to base my opinion on but for less $$ than a coffee for a data allowance that can be shared across 100's of supported games to play the value is extraordinary. It's only consumes your data credits for apps (games) that you add and enable.

I don't know if it will improve a game which already has local server support, maybe I'll test out Battlefield V in the next day or 2...

I believe this works with consoles too but cannot verify this for you.

Anyone else out there used a gaming VPN and if so what are your experiences?

Last edited:
I believe this works with consoles too but cannot verify this for you.
Would only work on console if it was router side which judging by the info in the OP and not clicking on any links appears to not be the case.

I used Lower Ping for a while when I played WoW (before Aussie severs) and it shaved about 30 off my ping. It didn’t really help with PvP because often you were matched against US players with pings of 20 or 30 while you were still rocking about 150, but it was certainly beneficial for raiding by shortening that global cool down. So it does work but to what degree I guess depends on geography between you and where you want to connect to. I rarely play anything anymore that doesn’t have a local server so it’s not something I’d bother with any more.

I used Lower Ping for a while when I played WoW (before Aussie severs) and it shaved about 30 off my ping. It didn’t really help with PvP because often you were matched against US players with pings of 20 or 30 while you were still rocking about 150, but it was certainly beneficial for raiding by shortening that global cool down. So it does work but to what degree I guess depends on geography between you and where you want to connect to. I rarely play anything anymore that doesn’t have a local server so it’s not something I’d bother with any more.
Yeah definitely the amount shaved off would depend on geography and how many hops can be removed.
Could be helpful for Perth players connecting to Aussie servers in Sydney..

Yeah definitely the amount shaved off would depend on geography and how many hops can be removed.
Could be helpful for Perth players connecting to Aussie servers in Sydney..

I doubt Perth to Sydney would make a meaningful difference unless your ISP uses some really f**ked up routing.

Sounds like results are dependent on who hosts the server you're on as they appear to use both Amazon Web Services and Softlayer. I'd be curious to see if setting up your own personal VPN service on AWS, which would be free if you stay below the data limits, would work the same way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back