Gather Round 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So every year the SA clubs will have an extra home game or is there something I'm missing?

If integrity is something the AFL cares about then the solution is easy - Adelaide v Port Adelaide in Gather Round.
If integrity isn't so important, then take the money by having the Power and Crows separate, giving them an extra home game and inflicting an extra away game on two others.

AFL going for Money vs AFL going for Integrity?

What do you reckon the odds would be?

Timing is an issue for Vics I think. To have no AFL footy in Vic on a weekend in school hols is just dumb.

Having it outside of the holidays is even dumber. Regardless of the venue, it has to be at a time when families can get away.

If integrity is something the AFL cares about then the solution is easy - Adelaide v Port Adelaide in Gather Round.
If integrity isn't so important, then take the money by having the Power and Crows separate, giving them an extra home game and inflicting an extra away game on two others.

AFL going for Money vs AFL going for Integrity?

What do you reckon the odds would be?
It's crazy that this is allowed. Should only ever be neutral venues. We were stopped from selling games into WA (which we wanted to do) by the AFL because it was an established market. Funny how they're allowed to do it when it suits their own purposes.

Gather round should be all neutral. If in SA showdown game and have it as the centrepiece event.
Same for NSW, QLD & WA as options. If in VIC (seems unlikely for various reasons) then every VIC team plays each other and the non-VIC can play neutral.

Take off your SA goggles for a minute.

Your solution to the AFL's already existing problem of having the ability to manipulate a fixture where clubs at the very least still have the same number of home/away games during the year is to just abandon all pretence of equality entirely and just flat out gift 2 of the clubs in an 18 team comp an extra home game on top of the 11 they already have every single year?

Fun fact: both Adelaide & Port have 12 games at AO this season and play once against each other at that venue meaning they maintain home ground advantage in the 11 remaining games. Richmond for example play at the MCG 14 times but play against other MCG tenants in 5 of these games meaning they maintain home ground advantage in only 9 of these games by my rudimentary late night count.
Using that same logic we have 8 games where we maintain home ground advantage. WCE & Freo both have 10 due to playing each other twice, Sydney & GWS all 11 due to having different home grounds, ditto Brisbane/GC.

Say what you will about the way the draw is structured travel-wise, but undeniably non-vic clubs are not at as much of a disadvantage as the chip on your shoulder suggests. We are here to compete in a competition that is already compromised to s**t and this is yet another mechanism to weight the scales in that direction.
It's boring listening to the interstate sides complaining about all the "home" games Victorian clubs get as if it's 60,000 West Coast fans getting their team over the line at Optus Stadium rather than just 2 local clubs playing in a neutral game at Marvel Stadium. The fixture is odd, but I'm not sure anyone really has it better than anyone else.

Victorian clubs have won 14 of the last 16 premierships - and the other 2 could've easily been won by Victorian clubs in the late stages of the championship game. That's a statistically significant advantage over a reasonable time frame. Despite this they don't make the top 8 at a greater rate, they don't make the top 4 at a greater rate, they don't even make the Grand Final at a greater rate. The structural advantage the Victorian clubs enjoy is the Grand Final being at the MCG every year and it actually makes the competition a total farce. Why the interstate clubs don't get together and campaign against this rather than whining about Collingwood playing at the MCG a lot is beyond me.

It's boring listening to the interstate sides complaining about all the "home" games Victorian clubs get as if it's 60,000 West Coast fans getting their team over the line at Optus Stadium rather than just 2 local clubs playing in a neutral game at Marvel Stadium. The fixture is odd, but I'm not sure anyone really has it better than anyone else.

Victorian clubs have won 14 of the last 16 premierships - and the other 2 could've easily been won by Victorian clubs in the late stages of the championship game. That's a statistically significant advantage over a reasonable time frame. Despite this they don't make the top 8 at a greater rate, they don't make the top 4 at a greater rate, they don't even make the Grand Final at a greater rate. The structural advantage the Victorian clubs enjoy is the Grand Final being at the MCG every year and it actually makes the competition a total farce. Why the interstate clubs don't get together and campaign against this rather than whining about Collingwood playing at the MCG a lot is beyond me.
The MCG is a premier stadium worldwide.

It has a vibe...

In mythology from around the world heros travel to places of great spiritual significance and do their stuff. The MCG is a place of great spiritula significance. Its a stadium that's nearly 200 years old (170 years old this year I think.) If you star on that stage you star on a stage where the heros of footy and cricket have made their name.

That Stadium in WA may be a great ground but it doesn't have that cultural weight. No one is ever gonna buy the naming rights to the MCG because its the MCG and has been for over 150 years.

Now I'm not saying this is a conscious choice but I think it has a real influence on how people view the AFL grand final.

Do you want to win your Norm Smith medal on the same ground where legends of Australian cricket and football have made their name or on some some corporate owned stooge ground?

Glad the SARoos got their feast of the footy festa, yet disappointed with what we dished up. The ongoing struggle of being a non Melbourne based ardent Roo.
Can’t remember the last time we won here in SA

Edit:
2011 against port at footy park

Last edited:
I know you are a big advocate for Mt Barker just watch if it becomes all the rage, they will take it off us and give to one of the golden clubs. I can see potential with the surrounding wineries and maybe golf courses if there are any in the area.
I wasn'tso much a big advocate for Mt Barker, just point out it was better than Norwood. Certainly a much better place to watch footy.

But it wont be in Mt Barker next year, it'll be in the Barossa. They now have 12 months to get one of the grounds up to scratch and I reckon they'll play 2 games up there.

It's not about the supporters or their convenience. It's about the size of the cheque that SA Govt is prepared to write.
I understand the cynicism towards the AFL but this isn't true. If it wasn't good for the supporters then it would have been a flop. And QLD and NSW have tried throwing more cash to attract it!

If we're going to be punted off like this every year away from Adelaide Oval now that it is established the club should be given inside information on scheduling and location. We could then use this to sell full blown packages for supporters like a cut down version of the Grand Final breakfast. Travel, accommodation, exclusive team and seating access and food and wine packaging. At least then we can sell something of real value to supporters as well.

Yep, and I'm sure it will happen as there's a lot more lead in this time. Its why it's only going to bigger and better.

Jump on board people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might complain with them considering how often we travel . Taking the Hobart games aside we still play an extra 2 or 3 interstate each yr plus Geelong ,which may as well be interstate lol ,compared to some of the golden clubs.

What a cynical money grab.

Football, the game for the masses, is sold out for a few beans in order for SA to get an unfair share of the middle class tourist dollar over Easter and the school
holidays.

Working class families? Structural fairness for the competition? Oh well.

Perhaps I should be more surprised they hadn’t thought of it before. 🤷‍♂️

What a cynical money grab.

Football, the game for the masses, is sold out for a few beans in order for SA to get an unfair share of the middle class tourist dollar over Easter and the school
holidays.

Working class families? Structural fairness for the competition? Oh well.

Perhaps I should be more surprised they hadn’t thought of it before. 🤷‍♂️
Family ticket to 1v2 was $60 total. Imagine being a working class family that supports st kilda in Adelaide and never gets to see them

Family ticket to 1v2 was $60 total. Imagine being a working class family that supports st kilda in Adelaide and never gets to see them
It’s similarly cheap to go to the footy anywhere.

My real point (along with sporting equity) is the one that you unintentionally acknowledged- it costs a lot of money to fly a family interstate, unaffordably so for some.

Malinauskas didn’t stump up the cash for half a dozen St Kilda fans in Adelaide, and nor was the AFL benevolently concerned about them either. In actual fact a round of footy was sold off for money to boost SA tourism.

Despite the success of the event for those who could attend, and no doubt local supporters loved it, it doesn’t sit right with me.

Having it outside of the holidays is even dumber. Regardless of the venue, it has to be at a time when families can get away.
What would be the ratio of families that would attend v blokes that want a weekend away to get on the piss with their mates?

I’m not questioning your post just trying to get a feel of what type of crowd they attracted?

Last edited:

My real point (along with sporting equity) is the one that you unintentionally acknowledged- it costs a lot of money to fly a family interstate, unaffordably so for some.

Malinauskas didn’t stump up the cash for half a dozen St Kilda fans in Adelaide, and nor was the AFL benevolently concerned about them either. In actual fact a round of footy was sold off for money to boost SA tourism.

Despite the success of the event for those who could attend, and no doubt local supporters loved it, it doesn’t sit right with me.
How many games do you see in your home state every year mate?

What would be the ratio of families that would attend v blokes that want a weekend away to get on the Lisa with their mates?

I’m not questioning your post just trying to get a feel of what type of crowd they attracted?
it was a mix, just like any footy crowd. Heaps of families with kids in the lines and on the bus. Sat next to a mother and daughter who flew down from Darwin. Mum goes for GC daughter for Blues. Spoke to another girl who flew over with her sister to watch Freo. Sat next to 2 young couples who came over from Melbourne to watch us. Plenty of groups of guys walking around who were obviously having a boys weekend.

Last edited:
it was a mix, just like any footy crowd. Heaps of families with kids in the lines and on the bus. Sat next to a mother and daughter who flew down from Darwin. Mum goes for GC daughter for Blues. Spoke to another girl who flew over with her sister to watch Freo. Sat next to 2 young couples who came over from Melbourne to watch us. Plenty of groups of guys walking around who were obviously having a boys weekend.
The big plus with gather round is that you can do this type of trip with family and mates and everyone can potentially get to see their team play.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a good concept, but I still think some of the commentary is a bit over the top. I’m still waiting for the headline that Gather Round cured someone’s incurable disease LOL!

As long as the club makes good cash out of it, I’m all for it.

A round of footy wasn't sold off. A round was created. And to say there's only half a dozen Saints supporters in SA just shows you can't actually look at what the round provided with out an illogical bias.

Your argument seems to be, because some people cant afford the trip then the thousand and thousands of people that had a great time didn't deserve to have a good time.

A round of footy wasn't sold off. A round was created. And to say there's only half a dozen Saints supporters in SA just shows you can't actually look at what the round provided with out an illogical bias.

Your argument seems to be, because some people cant afford the trip then the thousand and thousands of people that had a great time didn't deserve to have a good time.
I think the point you made about this being an extra round is the important part.

If this would have been included in the original 22 game fixture, then I think people might have had some valid complaints.

The advantage of Gather Round is that it also starts the season earlier which means we shouldn’t have Good Friday clashing with Round 1 which means hopefully we can build on the success of having the game with Carlton, which would have been great for club coffers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back