Gather Round 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the cynicism towards the AFL but this isn't true. If it wasn't good for the supporters then it would have been a flop. And QLD and NSW have tried throwing more cash to attract it!

I don't think you understand what happened here. The clubs agreed to this because each club got a big fat cheque. If a bigger, fatter cheque was offered from another state, you can be sure the AFL and clubs would take it. Nothing necessarily cynical or at least sinister about it, it's business.

How many games do you see in your home state every year mate?
It’s a rarity that I miss. So yes, I get that you’d be thrilled to see the boys live.
Your argument seems to be, because some people cant afford the trip then the thousand and thousands of people that had a great time didn't deserve to have a good time.
That’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that I didn’t think people deserved to enjoy themselves.

Clearly you loved it, which is great. I happen to think it is a little too far in the sports marketing direction.

I don't think you understand what happened here. The clubs agreed to this because each club got a big fat cheque. If a bigger, fatter cheque was offered from another state, you can be sure the AFL and clubs would take it. Nothing necessarily cynical or at least sinister about it, it's business.
Of course the clubs agreed to it because of more money. Same as the players. It only got the ok by the AFLPA because the players got extra. BUT, SA got it because they could make it work. If it didn’t work then the clubs and players wouldn’t get more money next year. You want to make the right choice that gives you sustained success. It’s business. I think it’s you that doesn’t understand. In fact I know it’s you that doesn’t understand. It’s business.

It’s a rarity that I miss. So yes, I get that you’d be thrilled to see the boys live.

That’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that I didn’t think people deserved to enjoy themselves.

Clearly you loved it, which is great. I happen to think it is a little too far in the sports marketing direction.
Taking the game back to its roots, to suburban grounds and country grounds, driving revenue for upgrades to these grounds is too far towards sports marketing? Really? The ability for my kids to understand there’s more to AFL than Port and Crows is too far towards sport’s marketing? All team doing footy clinics at suburban grounds is too far towards sport’s marketing?

Mate you need to stop being so cynical. There’s was so much of the round just about footy.

Taking the game back to its roots, to suburban grounds and country grounds, driving revenue for upgrades to these grounds is too far towards sports marketing? Really? The ability for my kids to understand there’s more to AFL than Port and Crows is too far towards sport’s marketing? All team doing footy clinics at suburban grounds is too far towards sport’s marketing?

Mate you need to stop being so cynical. There’s was so much of the round just about footy.

Come on man. 6 games at AO, 2 games 10 minutes away at Norwood and 1 game at Mt Barker isn't really taking the game back to it's roots.

Glad you enjoyed the round as a local but I don't think you'd be this resolute in your defence if it was in a state other than South Australia.

Let's face facts. Adelaide is a Hillbilly Hell where Deliverance like characters do untold deeds upon their fellow human being. Eventually you end up in a barrel or a mullet. Place is a dive. The AFL is kidding themselves having this rot Gather Round in this location for the next few years. Hopefully one of the AFL Executives ends up in a barrel. That would teach them. :stern look

Let's face facts. Adelaide is a Hillbilly Hell where Deliverance like characters do untold deeds upon their fellow human being. Eventually you end up in a barrel or a mullet. Place is a dive. The AFL is kidding themselves having this rot Gather Round in this location for the next few years. Hopefully one of the AFL Executives ends up in a barrel. That would teach them. :stern look
Deliverance GIF

Yeah, we should hold it in a Queen St post office or maybe in the middle of Hoddle St. :stupid look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am personally stoked with the day, time & location.

Works out well for me with a young family. A few mates may have to leave work early, but it’s a Friday.

I am personally stoked with the day, time & location.

Works out well for me with a young family. A few mates may have to leave work early, but it’s a Friday.

Mount barker was excellent last year but a trip overall. Glad we are at the parade, means I can walk down and get stuck in.

Disappointing to be the only matchup that stays the same as last year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back