The Law Gay Couples Vs Christian bakers

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, this is like teaching Kindergarten.
Google.
Generic meaning of Bigotry.
Noun.
"Intolerance towards those who hold a different opinion from oneself".
If you don't get this, well......
Cherrypicking parts of a definition and ignoring the rest of it doesn't change what it actually means.

If you think that gay people should not have the same rights as straight people then you are a bigot.

Cherrypicking parts of a definition and ignoring the rest of it doesn't change what it actually means.

If you think that gay people should not have the same rights as straight people then you are a bigot.
That's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I quoted the generic full definition.
Anyway.
This whole thread is about the rights of a baker to bake cakes for whoever they choose to bake cakes for.

If you dont agree with the bakers choices and rights, then you are a.......

Why is Marriage Man/Woman?

I clearly said you're allowed to not like it, it makes you a bigot though.. Just like if you were to say you don't like Jews, Asians, Aboriginals it makes you a bigot.

A bigot is defined as a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

If being intolerant towards entire groups for raising house prices and taking undersize fish is considered bigoted. Then being intolerant towards entire groups holding the opinions of white supremacy must also be considered bigoted by the same definition.

There's clearly an ethical factor. To most it's obviously not considered bigoted to call white supremacists out for being neo-nazi's as much as it isn't bigoted to call Chinese out for destroying affordable housing and taking undersize fish. This is because hating on minorities and destroying affordable housing and a recreational fishery for a generation are both considered horrible actions.

If you want to use the word bigot in the context as you are. Being intolerant towards his views on marriage also makes you a bigot.

Last edited:
This whole thread is about the rights of a baker to bake cakes for whoever they choose to bake cakes for.

No. This is a common misunderstanding of the case. It's not about who they choose to bake cakes or other products for. The ruling says that they can't refuse to sell their products because of race, religion, gender, or gender identification. But they can't be forced to make a new product that they don't agree with. Eg a pacifist baker can't refuse a Christian fundie serviceman a loaf of bread from the shelf, but can't be forced to make a cake celebrating victory in Iraq.

https://www.mamamia.com.au/the-peel-sexist-door-policy/

“In order for you to enter the peel tonight you must agree to following conditions… Firstly, there is to be no heterosexual behaviour.”
1) You've found 1 (kinda. we can let you have it out of kindness). 99 to go.

2) Heterosexuals are allowed in. It says no heterosexual behaviour.

3) Even plenty in the gay community think it's a s**t door policy the peel has. (and it is a s**t door policy I agree)

4) Comes back perfectly to my earlier post. At least this place wears it on the sleeve and is willing to cop any backlash. You know why there isn't a huge backlash? Because straight people realise there is literally thousands of pubs and clubs they can go to without any fear of discrimination. Systematic discrimination against the gay community may be diminishing but you hear plenty of snide remarks and stares when a gay couple is walking down the street. You think a gay couple could walk into Rooty Hill RSL and hold hands without getting a few raised eyebrows? Not likely.

Imo you shouldn't have to serve someone.

But own that decision your business has made and cop the backlash if you don't want to serve people because they are of a certain ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, sex or wherever.

1) You've found 1 (kinda. we can let you have it out of kindness). 99 to go.

The comment I replied to wanted someone to name one of the 100s of gay clubs that don't allow heteros to enter.

2) Heterosexuals are allowed in. It says no heterosexual behaviour.

Imagine the outcry if a club had a door policy of "Homosexuals are allowed in. But no homosexual behaviour".

Points out 1 example complete with a link... oh but, but..
Why don't you start a campaign or jump on the existing facebook page to try and put pressure on the Peel to change their door policy.

You know what will happen if you do so and you get a critical mass of people who agree with you? The door policy will change. Either they will be told it is discriminatory or their business will suffer enough that they will realise they need to make a change.

Why don't you start a campaign or jump on the existing facebook page to try and put pressure on the Peel to change their door policy.

You know what will happen if you do so and you get a critical mass of people who agree with you? The door policy will change. Either they will be told it is discriminatory or their business will suffer enough that they will realise they need to make a change.

You've missed the point. We don't care about the Peel's door policy. It's about highlighting the hypocrisy.

The comment I replied to wanted someone to name one of the 100s of gay clubs that don't allow heteros to enter.
Fair enough. I've just woken up in the UK with a fairly sizeable hangover and misread.

Rest of my points still stand.
Imagine the outcry if a club had a door policy of "Homosexuals are allowed in. But no homosexual behaviour".
Yeah there would be huge outcry. You know why? Because when a homosexual person sees a sign like this it's a reminder of the what life has been life for homosexuals for the majority of their life. Constantly treated as second class citizens by a sizeable enough portion of society, although huge strides are now being made. Still 38% of Australian's voted to say your relationship isn't as special as mine.

You know what happens when a straight person sees the inverse sign? They have a laugh to themselves, raise an eyebrow and just go "whatever, I'll go to the next pub". I totally disagree with the Peel's policy, but you know what effect it has on me? Completely nil.

Same point applies to you as to old mate strung_out... You're more than capable of start a group or jumping on the existing facebook page and putting pressure on the Peel to change their policy. If enough people care, change will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet you linked to a very popular blog... so there is outcry? I'm confused. Are you for, against or just outraged for the sake of being outraged yet again?

Yeah there would be huge outcry. You know why? Because when a homosexual person sees a sign like this it's a reminder of the what life has been life for homosexuals for the majority of their life. Constantly treated as second class citizens by a sizeable enough portion of society, although huge strides are now being made. Still 38% of Australian's voted to say your relationship isn't as special as mine.

I can't wait for you to name a club that has sign saying no homosexual behaviour...

I can't wait for you to name a club that has sign saying no homosexual behaviour...
There probably are none. It would be bad for business in this day and age.

I would image in decades can past such signs - or at least venue policies - existed.

You know why the Peel's door policy hasn't harmed them? Because not enough people really care about it. You even said it yourself you don't care.

If it's about pointing out the hypocrisy in life then that is like shooting fish in a barrel. It's everywhere. If you don't actually care about what the cause of that hypocrisy is then it's all just a waste of time.

That's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I quoted the generic full definition.
Anyway.

If you dont agree with the bakers choices and rights, then you are a.......
Actually no. The baker is breaking the kaw. If in Australia.

Remember we do have a law that means you cant discriminate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And why would I want to go to the Peel? They have a business model aimed at a particular demographic. That's their choice. I don't need to campaign, I accept their decision and hence would never go there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back