Autopsy Geelong are just an average middle of the road team (stats)

Remove this Banner Ad

You do love a winner Vdubs.
I don't necessarily love the winner of today's prelim- WCE I can't stand, and Demons- maybe they can win me over if they play to their potential. Have said all year I like the Pies, and have had many things thrown at me, like, haven't beaten a top 8 team, etc.
Collingwood are just great to watch- no guarantees they can beat WCE or Demons next week, but they're in the box seat now.
Go Trav, Bucks, Stepho etc.

They have assembled a very talented list that are playing a strong brand of footy week in week out.

Even with their two quarter backs in Houli and Vlastuin missing last night they still looked very composed in defence.

They have quite a few underrated players like Short, Castagna and Butler that just play their role unheralded.

With the MCG as their home, they are going to be hard to stop come finals.

edit: Oh, and the arrival of Neil Balme and Josh Caddy hasn't hurt either. :)
Small Richmond players were found out yesterday - Collingwood bullied them :)

The Richmond brand of footy is so much better than everyone else's it's just not funny.

The difference between their best and worst is minimal and the only way they can lose is if they're a little bit off and the opposition play out of their skins, which is what happened in their 3 instate loses.
Found out.

Richmond are clearly the best they dont have the holes most other sides have
- Pies great midfield, defense is weak, offense very average
- WCE lacking good inside mids
- Sydney very vanilla midfield, lack skills, poor forward line, poor depth
- i rate port and melbourne but both are soft, melbourne particularly so
- gws also soft, too many injuries this year
- and us, lacking skills, poor team defense (only good on a slow track)
Pies offense average... Cox just did Hawkins 2011. DeGoey mauled Rance.

Quoted me from July. Good one. Should I pull up some of the comments I started making not long after where I said I feel like Collingwood are a threat to Richmond this year and will definitely be better than them from 2019 on?
Only stirring :)

Yeah, Pies are good...

Geelongs list is middle of the road and performance all season has been patchy.

Not dissimilar to Hawthorn been up a long time those lack of top end draft picks or even draft picks under 40 builds up when players get older.

Your top end quality players with experience will hold you at a very competitive level. Even next season we project to be somewhere around the bottom of the 8.

We are starting to see a changing of the guard now. As the talent of other sides who have been accumulating players outside the 8 for multiple years Collingwood, Melbourne are beginning to charge. Richmond have been good for an extended period.

West Coast, GWS have a lot of talent if it gets on the park.

From outside the 8 you probably have essendon and adelaide as quality teams with easier draws next season will be right in the mix.

You have brisbane and the WB further down as sides that could jump quickly.

Hawthorn and to a certain extent Sydney are in a similar position to geelong. Somewhere in the middle depending on injuries and how certain players "hold on" selwood, Hawkins. Taylor looks finished that's just me.

Our development will be dependant on free agents and internal growth draft. We don't have anything ready to go at the moment in terms of kids to take ownership of this team or put in consistent performances.

That athletisicm and running power is something you just can't buy and without it you probably cannot compete at the very pointy end of the season. No real shame in it just the reality of aging talent that hasn't been replenished through the draft because we have not had those picks or put emphasis in using picks like that

I think we have the nucleus of a quality team but for yet another season since 2011 it's been unbalanced. We are too tall, we lack pressure players in the front half, quality on the outside and a solid ruckman.

Yikes this game today makes our EF look even worse

not so sure about that... i mean yeah, we were miles off the pace of the best teams in the end, but you cant just compare isolated games.

in some ways, this game just goes to show how a decent/good team can look putrid when they are pressured and given no time. melbourne look just like we did against them - slipping over, handballs to no-one / the opposition, fumbling easy balls. 2 weeks after this board was lauding their skills against us, and talking about how they should be one of our benchmarks. the tigers were another we should be measuring ourselves against, and look how they performed last night.

im not excusing our performance by any means, but individual games arent always a simple and straight forward comparison.

not so sure about that... i mean yeah, we were miles off the pace of the best teams in the end, but you cant just compare isolated games.

in some ways, this game just goes to show how a decent/good team can look putrid when they are pressured and given no time. melbourne look just like we did against them - slipping over, handballs to no-one / the opposition, fumbling easy balls. 2 weeks after this board was lauding their skills against us, and talking about how they should be one of our benchmarks. the tigers were another we should be measuring ourselves against, and look how they performed last night.

im not excusing our performance by any means, but individual games arent always a simple and straight forward comparison.
Such a fine line between roosters and featherdusters

Looks average I thought the same thing around round 17 when west coast knocked them off. The I looked through the numbers pretty incredible what they have done from a goal kicking scoring perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They smashed the Tigers in the midfield, that's why Cox did so well. Just pop it up in the air and the really tall guy is going to mark it if he gets a clean run at it (especially with no other ruck in the area).

De Goey is a gun, no questions there but its still a mediocre attack.

Cox vs a team with 2 rucks after a breakout game, wont be anywhere near as good.

They smashed the Tigers in the midfield, that's why Cox did so well. Just pop it up in the air and the really tall guy is going to mark it if he gets a clean run at it (especially with no other ruck in the area).

De Goey is a gun, no questions there but its still a mediocre attack.

Cox vs a team with 2 rucks after a breakout game, wont be anywhere near as good.
Maybe.
So you think Pies have had their GF v Tigers?

Which Hardwick said afterwards. They were definitely aware of blocking his runs at the ball, but they didn’t do it during the game. I’m sure Melbourne didn’t mean to miss so many handpasses under little pressure either, but that’s what happened.

Other stats

#1 in slipovers for no apparent reason
#1 in protecting inanimate space
#1 in missing tackles
#1 in not turning up after a bye
#1 in losing a final before 1/4 time.

League leaders in a lot of ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Back