Geelong attempted to avoid salary cap with Tim Kelly

Scorpus

The Boys Are Sacked!
Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not "attempting to cheat" if they asked and the AFL allowed it.
It would be "attempting to cheat" if they tried to sneak it through on a hidden deal and were then found out.
They tried to sneak it through by suggesting a footballer doesn't have enough money to support his family, and they were denied because it's ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blackus

Senior List
Jul 2, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I wouldnt think its an issue asking the question. AT least they were upfront about it with the afl rather than brown paper bag it under the table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Balls Deep

Draftee
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chelsea, Reds, Flames

So Geelong tried to ask the AFL to pay Tim Kelly, a rich footballer, more money outside the salary cap to keep him, because apparently he didn't have enough money to support his disabled children.

How is this acceptable? And why the hell would a player set to earn $700,000+ per year need more money outside the cap to look after his kids? That's ridiculous.
Seriously mate?? He was on minimum wage plus match payments up until yesterday!! read the whole thing properly

zeggie

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.
Feb 9, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Seriously mate?? He was on minimum wage plus match payments up until yesterday!! read the whole thing properly
To be fair, there were reports Geelong were offering a decent 1 year contract for this year. If true, I don't think Geelong would have reneged on that offer after the 2018 trade period didn't answer his wish to return home.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
In reply to OP Tim Kelly was not a 'rich footballer'. He has been on a draftee salary for the last two years.
Yep.

We would have asked the AFL last year when Mrs Kelly was sooking on social media about the lack of support from the club for flights for family etc.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Is there anything preventing a club adjusting a second year player's contract to make him earn more money inside the salary cap?
Yes the rules. Boyd went to dogs on multi million dollar deal but first year at dogs was still on the base draftee payment.

Hoops

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Hence Geelong "attempted to cheat" the salary cap. You aren't allowed to pay players outside the salary cap. The AFL told them to get stuffed.
No, attempting to cheat would be attempting to pay the extra after the AFL said no or not asking the AFL in the first place an attempting to pay.
Is it really that hard to understand?

Top Bottom