AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we didn't sign any delisted free agents, a couple of those players we delisted last week have found new homes. Wishing them luck for next year:

Richmond has signed midfielder Hannah Burchell, who had a few niggling injuries this year and played her one and only game in round seven for Geelong.
Defender Mia-Rae Clifford (who featured in all of Geelong’s eight matches in 2019) will head west after agreeing to terms with Fremantle.

Though, I thought Clifford played predominant forward for us

https://womens.afl/news/17848/lucky-seven-get-free-agent-lifelines-on-final-day
Mia played some good games but if losing her is the worst our list cops, I can handle that.

Anyone interested in seeing who might be available for the Cats AFLW team in 2020 can gain a bit of insight by watching the above video of the recent AFLW U/18 Vic Country/Vic Metro clash.

Country (coached by Geelong ruck Aasta O'Connor) were pretty soundly beaten unfortunately, while Metro look to have some of the real cream of the 2020 crop.

Metro KF Gabby Newton will go close to being the #1 pick in an open draft; hopefully she will nominate the whole of Victoria as her preferred destination/s, but I wouldn't be surprised if she locks Geelong out of the market for her services.

Isabella Grant should go to the Doggies under the Father/Daughter rule, like Newton she is a bright KF prospect.
Metro midfielder/forwards Georgia Patrikios and Mimi Hill are both good movers and use the ball well, Patrikios was very good at last year's champs too. Hill very quick.
Ellie McKenzie should be a high selection in the 2020 draft, looks a good athlete and a very good left foot kick. Loves a run and bounce.

For Country, we've known about Lucy McEvoy for a while; captains the Falcons team; excelled as a forward at last year's champs after playing as a defender the year before that - she's been predominantly played as a midfielder this season for the Falcons apparently and lined up in the middle for Vic Country.
Assuming she nominates Geelong she will be a very handy addition; will provide some much-needed support for Olivia Purcell at the fall of the ball, but also very handy overhead. Swung onto her left foot (she's a righty) very confidently at one point and hit a target. I thought she was easily best on ground for either team. Tackles ferociously. Had the ball at least 10 times in the first quarter alone.

Millie Brown should be coming to Geelong under the Father/Daughter rule; Paul's girl is a key defender, kicks long and reads the play pretty well. Will be fighting the likes of Georgia Clarke for a spot in the 22 next year I'd reckon ...

Falcon Mia Skinner didn't play; while Abbey Chapman - who I believe I saw running around with our VFLW team a couple of weeks ago - might be in the frame, although she was very quiet against Metro.
Would like to have seen Skinner, she's a strong prospect apparently.

Bottom-ager Isabella Simmons is a tall forward, a GWV Rebel; she showed a bit, moves really well for her height - if she nominates Geelong/All Victoria next year then I'd say the club would take a good long look.
Falcon Laura Gardiner another who might be one to watch next year when she becomes eligible for the draft.

Overall I thought the corresponding clash last year was of a higher standard, with the likes of Nina Morrison, Tyla Hanks and Maddie Prespakis running around.

Was the Maggie Caris playing for Vic Metro the sister of Rene who is on our AFLW list?

EDIT: Just watched the first half of the game. Would be happy with both Millie Brown and Lucy McEvoy running around with us next season. Caris did some good work in the ruck too. Not afraid to get down and contest the ground ball after the ruck contest too.

Last edited:
Was the Maggie Caris playing for Vic Metro the sister of Rene who is on our AFLW list?

EDIT: Just watched the first half of the game. Would be happy with both Millie Brown and Lucy McEvoy running around with us next season. Caris did some good work in the ruck too. Not afraid to get down and contest the ground ball after the ruck contest too.

Yes, she is Rene's sister ...

However I'm not sure just how much rucking Maggie did in the 1st half Winty - #33 did a lot of the ruckwork from what I saw, particularly after about half-way through the 1st - no #33 listed here, but from the commentary it appears this player was Georgia Howes, who is a very strongly built young woman, and not afraid to use her strength to gain an advantage in the ruck.

Agree that both Millie Brown and Lucy McEvoy should push for a spot in our 22 next year should they nominate Geelong, which looks very likely - Brown will have a bit of competition with Meg McDonald, Bec Goring and even Georgia Clarke all ahead in the KD pecking order, but Lucy McEvoy could slot in just about anywhere and do a job for us.

Thanks for write up Cursed_Cat , great read

:thumbsu: thank you C09!

Regarding our team for next season, I know we have re-signed a large number of players from our first season & that we were able to sign a good number of them to our VFLW side - should we be at all concerned by those AFLW listed players who haven't yet played a game during the VFLW season?

Regarding our team for next season, I know we have re-signed a large number of players from our first season & that we were able to sign a good number of them to our VFLW side - should we be at all concerned by those AFLW listed players who haven't yet played a game during the VFLW season?

Its a good question; I honestly have no idea - does the club see the VFLW as more of a developmental comp for its AFLW players?

I've only watched the one VFLW game this season, but I've noted we seem to be playing a lot of players out of their normal position, while others just aren't playing at all.

Its a good question; I honestly have no idea - does the club see the VFLW as more of a developmental comp for its AFLW players?

I've only watched the one VFLW game this season, but I've noted we seem to be playing a lot of players out of their normal position, while others just aren't playing at all.
I know there's restrictions to the number of AFLW listed players that can be used each week - I believe it's 12

But thinking that we haven't seen Teague play at all this VFLW season - I know she had back issues that she dealt with in the later part of the AFLW season, but she also had that issue at times during her basketball career with the Geelong Supercats. So I'm not sure if they have decided that have 12 other AFLW listed players they'd rather be using each week (or more when you consider the numbers being rotated through the side each week), or if there's an issue with her back or something is playing up. If there is an injury or soreness issue where she isn't likely to play this season or not play much, why sign her to the VFLW team rather than signing someone who is available to play?

I know there's restrictions to the number of AFLW listed players that can be used each week - I believe it's 12

But thinking that we haven't seen Teague play at all this VFLW season - I know she had back issues that she dealt with in the later part of the AFLW season, but she also had that issue at times during her basketball career with the Geelong Supercats. So I'm not sure if they have decided that have 12 other AFLW listed players they'd rather be using each week (or more when you consider the numbers being rotated through the side each week), or if there's an issue with her back or something is playing up. If there is an injury or soreness issue where she isn't likely to play this season or not play much, why sign her to the VFLW team rather than signing someone who is available to play?

I wasn't even aware of the restrictions on AFLW-listed players lining up for the VFLW teams tbh cats_09, so you've educated me there for starters ...

as for Anna Teague, you've posed a really good question - why has she been signed to the VFLW squad and yet not made an appearance? Again I am bereft of answers, but perhaps like yourself I am a bit concerned about her ongoing absence - she was probably my 'first favourite' CatsW player, so I have a real soft spot for her - I'm hopeful we can squeeze at least one season out of her, but having had a lot of back issues myself I can only imagine how difficult it would be to overcome them to play high-level competitive footy on a regular basis. I hope she comes back strongly, but have a few nagging doubts if truth be told :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Country U/18 team in action against Qld; this was a far more open game than the Vic Country v Vic Metro game - actually that is possibly just my impression because I was watching Country quite closely and they played far better against Qld than they did Metro.

Plenty of Geelong Falcons girls on the Country team, and Qld play a pretty good brand as they did last year.

skip straight to 1:12:15 ish for an awesome Lucy McEvoy (#23) goal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back