AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have our first signing:
Former Melbourne marquee Mel Hickey is set to depart the club to join Geelong for the 2019 season.
It is the Cats’ first big signing ahead of their entry into the competition next season.
Hickey was one the first signings alongside Daisy Pearce in the inaugural AFLW side for Melbourne.
The 33-year-old is believed to have an off-field role with the club, a mentoring position which is set to start soon.

http://thewomensgame.com/news/hickey-set-to-move-to-geelong-490506

When I was searching for an article about it (not just headlines), this bit of the herald sun article came up as a search result (full article is subscription only unfortunately): She grew up supporting the club with Corey Enright one of her favourite players. Mel Hickey will depart Melbourne to join Geelong for the 2019 AFLW season

Guess this means Lily is staying with Melbourne.

Don't think the AFL would let us take 5 players from Melbourne

This was good to read in the article: In 2019, the Hickey name will again wear the navy and white hoops, with All Australian Mel Hickey committing to the club. Hickey will wear the number 18 made famous by the man whose name adorns the grand stand at GMHBA Stadium.

Mithen should be playing for the Cats, I guess the AFL's incorrect decision not to grant us a licence originally has cost us the best player to come out of our system.

So the AFL bring the next wave of AFLW teams to the competition and then dictate to them whom they can draft as players. Not how many or from where, but who.

Dont ever change AFL you ******* grease fire of scam organisation.

Im done now.

Go Catters

So the AFL bring the next wave of AFLW teams to the competition and then dictate to them whom they can draft as players. Not how many or from where, but who.

Im done now.

Go Catters

Don't sugar coat it Daz. Tell us what you really think! :p

Im done now.

Go Catters

Its all big picture... my guess is Lily probably wants to play for Rich anyway..so she may as well stay at Melb. And it would seem a lot of Geelong players are at Melb.. does seem a little unfair to raid them.

And as much as the new of bringing in this player or that from other clubs... Geelong's main focus (imo) should be to support the locals already here in a VFL sense or those one the edge playing at the Falcons. There was an enormous number of fem's that tried out for the Cats ..plenty to chose from... and for my pov its more about this than results. As long as young women from our area have something to aspire to then the side is doing its role.

Another 6 Cats are signed up for next season

Danielle Orr, Jordan Ivey, Kate Darby, Cassie Blakeway, Renee Garing and Cats’ VFLW captain Bec Goring join Mel Hickey, Richelle Cranston, Erin Hoare and Anna Teague on the inaugural list

Another 6 Cats are signed up for next season

Danielle Orr, Jordan Ivey, Kate Darby, Cassie Blakeway, Renee Garing and Cats’ VFLW captain Bec Goring join Mel Hickey, Richelle Cranston, Erin Hoare and Anna Teague on the inaugural list

So we've pretty much just added Mel Hickey so far, considering the other 9 players were already playing with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really disappointing, thought she could stick with the VFLW side at least.

Think the reasoning behind it was she wanted to play for whichever VFLW team was aligned with whichever AFLW team she will be playing with.

Think the reasoning behind it was she wanted to play for whichever VFLW team was aligned with whichever AFLW team she will be playing with.

I know, but we had built our brand around her last year, its her choice I guess, but think it was a bit rough on the club to just turn her back on it. Hopefully we can tear Melbourne a new one in our first year in the AFLW.

I know, but we had built our brand around her last year, its her choice I guess, but think it was a bit rough on the club to just turn her back on it. Hopefully we can tear Melbourne a new one in our first year in the AFLW.
Supposedly she's a huge Tiges girl, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her as one of their big signings when they enter the comp. Probably just didn't want to come and be a false dawn at Geelong.

Someone new:

The Geelong Cats have pulled off another recruiting coup ahead of its inaugural AFLW campaign, adding premiership star Aasta O’Connor from the Western Bulldogs...
...O’Connor helped the Bulldogs to the 2018 AFLW premiership, playing every game for the Dogs this past season. Playing mainly as a ruck, O’Connor has enjoyed a decorated career, winning four premierships with Darebin Falcons in the VFL and four with Logan Cobras in the QFL.

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-05-18/aflw-cats-sign-premiership-star

How did we manage the first two picks?
Only thing I can think of is how we've gone about our list build compared to North possibly?

edit: Looks as if that was the reason

The AFL revealed its draft order for later in the year on Tuesday, with the Cats emerging as the big winners. Having not recruited as impressive or prolifically as fellow expansion club North Melbourne, Geelong have gained four compensation picks, two at the start of the first round and two early in the second.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cats-enjoy-the-aflw-draft-cream-20180522-p4zgvx.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back