AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Of course she'll have to work through it. What choice does she, or any girl, have?

The point is the 'thing' they have to work through. It's a cultural cancer that needs to recognised as everyone's responsibility to correct. This idea that it's just the 'way of the world', and girls/women should just grin and bear it, is a total cop out.

So even if you're not the purveyor of the kind of talk or behaviour that I've mentioned in previous posts, it's still incumbent on you to take a stand on what is and isn't acceptable. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Again, it's everywhere, and it spans from the overt to the subtle, and everything in between. By the time a girl reaches their late teens, they are no doubt as to where they sit in the pecking order. And if there is any doubt, once they enter the work force, it's well and truly made clear. The stats in this area are undeniable and shameful.

So while I agree, it's the parent's job to instill in girls a sense or worth and capability, that job becomes exponentially harder as the culture around them is focused on dismantling the one weapon they have to combat it; their self esteem. Therein lies the problem.
The difference between women's and men's pay for equal work is 4 percent. It should be zero but it's not a massive issue.

That will minimise some of the costs but will mean they can't make money through gate receipts. Will have to rely on sponsors and somehow get some tv coverage.

They can't play them before AFL games because of the same insoluble logistics problems which prevent them doing that with 2nds games.

I let VC talk for himself , but I doubt he was advocating a pure "grin and tolerate 100% of the time.. I just cant agree with your basic concept. Where they sit in the world? We don't live in Saudi Arabia. Name calling / bullying for example is not exclusive to one sex and neg comments do not only affect one sex. It something we all have to learn to harden to , its life. Sometimes react, sometimes water of a ducks back...
Our means of comparison is Saudi Arabia? Really? Because we haven't sunk to one of the worst female human rights abusers in the world, we should tolerate Australia's prevailing attitude towards women? That is totally nonsensical.

1 in 5 women have experienced sexual violence since the age of 15. But it's OK because we are comparatively better than Saudi Arabia. Domestic violence is the leading cause of death, disability and illness in women aged 15-44. But again, we shouldn't be too bothered because at least they're allowed to leave the house and drive cars.

There is a huge difference between isolated cases of bullying / name calling (which can indeed effect anyone), and a systemic (and often subliminal) culture of disrespect for women. And it's this culture that leads to stats like those above. This is not only supported by research, it stands to reason. It's quite logical.

And like any culture it starts and ends with the (often small) behaviours of the individual. And the evidence (both academic and anecdotal) shows that we continually reinforce this notion that women and girls are simply not worthy of respect.

They can't play them before AFL games because of the same insoluble logistics problems which prevent them doing that with 2nds games.
Amazing how quickly we can make exceptions.

Our means of comparison is Saudi Arabia? Really? Because we haven't sunk to one of the worst female human rights abusers in the world, we should tolerate Australia's prevailing attitude towards women? That is totally nonsensical.

1 in 5 women have experienced sexual violence since the age of 15. But it's OK because we are comparatively better than Saudi Arabia. Domestic violence is the leading cause of death, disability and illness in women aged 15-44. But again, we shouldn't be too bothered because at least they're allowed to leave the house and drive cars.

There is a huge difference between isolated cases of bullying / name calling (which can indeed effect anyone), and a systemic (and often subliminal) culture of disrespect for women. And it's this culture that leads to stats like those above. This is not only supported by research, it stands to reason. It's quite logical.

And like any culture it starts and ends with the (often small) behaviours of the individual. And the evidence (both academic and anecdotal) shows that we continually reinforce this notion that women and girls are simply not worthy of respect.
Last one from me, but take it elsewhere.
Although Saudi has been poor in allowing females to not vote previously.
The burka is actually about protecting them from men. To stop men pouting over women.
To stop men from being swayed from 'gods work'.

Not hiding them.
Go read it up.

Over and out.

Last one from me, but take it elsewhere.
Although Saudi has been poor in allowing females to not vote previously.
The burka is actually about protecting them from men. To stop men pouting over women.
To stop men from being swayed from 'gods work'.

Not hiding them.
Go read it up.

Over and out.
Wow.
No, really, wow!
Literally speechless.

You are talking about pecking order and their status etc.. Im not sure what work area you are talking about but its an overstatement to say that in all areas they are put in their place once they enter the workforce. Not all work environments are identical for a start , some even have bias toward females over males.
You have your strong opinions , so good luck with your issues.. I don't see how debating it with you in this thread will develop the thread further for the better . Talking about your nominated "culture of disrespect" to women in a thread that is all about being inclusive and advancing women particpation. You and I see it differently.

Mate, your daughter is just going to have to work through it.
My daughter is in the school leadership group. And they just organised a day focussing on gender equality.

They had a BBQ and made all the boys pay 20% more :).
That's probably not fair either, but it was about getting the message across.

My daughter fights through disadvantages all the time. It's not all about gender.
I try to just educate her that she has advantages too, and she should play to her strengths.

Yeah, that's some "equality" right there. Have to ingrain these cultural Marxist ideas in kids as early as possible, I guess.

Yeah, that's some "equality" right there. Have to ingrain these cultural Marxist ideas in kids as early as possible, I guess.
Did you not read the post?

No of course you didn't. Reading key words that suit you is your wheel house.

What message does making males pay more send? How does that promote gender equality?
It was about awareness. In that females are paid 20% less.

Do you really want me to get my 12 year old on here to rip you a new one?
If so, I'll tee it up. Won't be tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has gone a bit off the rails. Further off topic posts will be moved.

This thread is for discussion of the possible women's footy team.
Can you just move them all please.

The point (knowing someone who's organised something similar) is not to encourage everyone to charge men more, it's to highlight that women are paid less so effectively everything does cost more for them.

They will play them before afl games.
Unless they are really, really dumb.
Looking at playing Feb-March aren't they?
The competition could run for seven rounds and finals, with players drawn from around the country.
Whether the competition is aligned with the NAB Challenge played by the men and how a draft might operate remains to be determined but enthusiasm for the concept has the AFL buoyed.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-19/eight-womens-teams-set-for-national-comp

not sure it can be cost effective at only 1000 people a game. Grounds cost money to open and players have to travel interstate every second week. Sponsors will be there at the start but they won't stay if no one goes. If it doesnt lose money it's a fine thing to do. But don't see how it won't.
They'll stay if people watch, though. Let's say they play it in Feb/March - tennis is over, big bash is ending, NAB Cup is on Pay TV. If it's broadcast on 7 it could draw the revenue necessary to keep it a going concern.

Should our women's players be paid the same amount per game as the men? From the arguments in this thread so far the answer is clearly yes. Equal pay for equal work. Has a salary cap been decided upon yet?

Trolling much? Since when will the womens team be doing equal work? The season sure isn't going for 23 rounds.

Not yet. For something that is supposed to be starting up in less then 8 months they are very spare on the details.

Should our women's players be paid the same amount per game as the men? From the arguments in this thread so far the answer is clearly yes. Equal pay for equal work. Has a salary cap been decided upon yet?
But clearly in this case they're not doing equal work. If they were elite sportswomen who were devoting their lives to the club 24/7, sure. But I think it's fairly obvious here it's not the case, partially due to the time commitment, and partially due to the fact that elite sportswomen tend to go to Athletics, netball, basketball or hockey.

Why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back