Game Day Geelong V Doggies Fri Aug 28 750 pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to game day, with the "Festival of Footy" part II means it's back to shorten breaks

Only 2 changes at the selection table, with a return to the structure that served us well against the likes of Saints & Port

Predictions, expectations and all that for tonights match - have at it

Thinking this will be a tough assignment. Bulldogs historically give us a lot of trouble with their midfield. Are a good match up in terms of opponents for us. Wouldn’t be shocked to see us drop this one but I’m saying so we should win.

If it’s 50/50 around the contests we win, but they have a tendency to dominate us around the ball badly at times which causes a lot of headaches. That game last season at Telstra dome their midfield ran rampant the second half.

this game and essendon are the two problem matches. Think we will beat Richmond

I'm keen to see the Dogs bring some heat, and observe how the boys deal with it, because I have a lingering concern that they still remain quite susceptible under pressure.

Its been our achilles heel for some time now, and last week didn't give me much confidence that its been addressed satisfactorily.

Thinking this will be a tough assignment. Bulldogs historically give us a lot of trouble with their midfield. Are a good match up in terms of opponents for us. Wouldn’t be shocked to see us drop this one but I’m saying so we should win.

If it’s 50/50 around the contests we win, but they have a tendency to dominate us around the ball badly at times which causes a lot of headaches. That game last season at Telstra dome their midfield ran rampant the second half.

this game and essendon are the two problem matches. Think we will beat Richmond

I reckon Richmond would've beaten us last game.

Hopefully they'll give me more confidence tonight.

Do we have a bye the following week?

Technically yes, though it's a 9-day break the same we had between Port & Crows matches

So it's not like the normal 2 week break we've had previously with byes - we have also handled the byes/longer breaks a bit better this year than previous years; a comfortable win over the Hawks off a real extended break, and then in our matches against Freo (11 days) & Crows (9) days, we ran out the match better than our opponents

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Technically yes, though it's a 9-day break the same we had between Port & Crows matches

So it's not like the normal 2 week break we've had previously with byes - we have also handled the byes/longer breaks a bit better this year than previous years; a comfortable win over the Hawks off a real extended break, and then in our matches against Freo (11 days) & Crows (9) days, we ran out the match better than our opponents
So not really that much of a bye then. But that's a good thing for us, considering our past history with extended breaks.

Bulldogs are a tough match-up for us with their midfield, especially with Joel out of the side.

Luckily for us Menegola, Guthrie and Duncan have lifted to such an extent that Joel was playing a lesser role even when he was in the side. Could've been a big issue for us 12-18 months ago. Don't think it is anymore.

Really looking forward to this one, will tell us a lot about how our game plan holds up to a high pressure game against a quality midfield and our ability to be able to slow the movement up and play the game on our terms.

Luckily for us Menegola, Guthrie and Duncan have lifted to such an extent that Joel was playing a lesser role even when he was in the side. Could've been a big issue for us 12-18 months ago. Don't think it is anymore.
I haven't wanted to say it but I'm really wondering if the 3 players you mentioned have gone past Selwood in terms of importance to the side. Don't get me wrong come finals I want Selwood in that side because he is a natural leader but it feels so good to have a balanced midfield this year, we do still rely on Danger to win clearances but not to the extent we used to.

I haven't wanted to say it but I'm really wondering if the 3 players you mentioned have gone past Selwood in terms of importance to the side. Don't get me wrong come finals I want Selwood in that side because he is a natural leader but it feels so good to have a balanced midfield this year, we do still rely on Danger to win clearances but not to the extent we used to.

I'd say they would be on a par with Selwood. I think we tend to use the other guys in the middle more, with Danger and Sel as "break glass in case of emergency" options in the middle, like late in the North game when they were getting a run on, and we put Danger in the middle and immediately momentum swung back our way.

I was just thinking about this today. Selwood used to be the lynch pin for us in the middle - now he's more of a luxury, because Menegola and Guthrie have found a way to actually rock up each week and perform. Guthrie has been one of my most disliked players in years gone by - his inconsistency was just so frustrating. But he's turned a corner this season. Him and Sam are really taking the burden off Danger and Selwood to perform each week. I'm so incredibly happy to finally eat my words.

I'm keen to see the Dogs bring some heat, and observe how the boys deal with it, because I have a lingering concern that they still remain quite susceptible under pressure.

Its been our achilles heel for some time now, and last week didn't give me much confidence that its been addressed satisfactorily.
We need to practise under pressure for sure. These games are vital for the inevitable (hopefully) finals game up against Richmond. Soaking up the pressure, cutting them apart, pressing back hard, whole of ground defence.

So many times, I saw the Eagles miss tackles or turn the wrong way when chasing an opponent. They were very off against Richmond when trying to defend turnovers. Constantly wrong-footed. When turning the ball over, the Cats have been excellent in keeping their structures and coverage, and making good decisions when they do go in to win the ball in dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back