Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon was within a goal of Sydney middle of the 3rd quarter playing in Sydney.

They are a rung below us as a team. But what rung do you put our midfield on?

And Adelaide were a goal up middle of the 3rd in our game. With all fit I think our midfield as a unit can go with anyone over 4 quarters. Of course I hope we have an opportunity to test that, but I think our unit is better than Essendon. I think people are under rating how good Bowes is going to be this year for example.

I'm not expecting our MF with current availability to be world beaters, but I think They should be able to share the chocolates with the Hawks. If that happens our strengths should lead to a comfortable W I'd think.

And Adelaide were a goal up middle of the 3rd in our game. With all fit I think our midfield as a unit can go with anyone over 4 quarters. Of course I hope we have an opportunity to test that, but I think our unit is better than Essendon. I think people are under rating how good Bowes is going to be this year for example.

I'm not expecting our MF with current availability to be world beaters, but I think They should be able to share the chocolates with the Hawks. If that happens our strengths should lead to a comfortable W I'd think.
Adelaide being a goal up middle of the third is a good example. They did that despite having some of the worst inside 50 kicking in recent memory. They burnt it over and over again and still were up on the scoreboard.

With all fit I think our midfield as a unit can go with anyone over 4 quarters.
I disagree, I don't think we're quite at that level, particular with our ruck division. Our midfield is reasonable, but it's not as good as GWS, Melbourne and the Dogs at their best.

Our real strength is forward of the ball, though the help the midfield gets from Cameron and Miers pushing up is underrated.

I think people are under rating how good Bowes is going to be this year for example.

If anyone is underestimating Bowes, I don’t think they can be blamed for doing so.

Bowes really never cracked it as a mid at the GC and ended up literally getting pushed out of the club.

He played plenty of games for us last year and once again, never really locked down that position.

He has started the season just has he started last… looking good in a practice match and then pinging a calf.

It’ll be on Bowes to turn it around and become something he never has been in the AFL.

We are going more on hope than anything with Bowes.

I think he could be a solid player for us.

I couldn’t back him in on being anything above that on years of evidence.

If he does really break out, it’ll be a massive win list management wise for us.

For those (like me) who are looking at the GA options for Monday

GENERAL ADMISSION SEATING AND CHEER SQUAD LOCATIONS​

General Admission seating will be published here closer to the match.

CHEER SQUAD LOCATIONS
Hawthorn: M3 (Punt Road end)
Geelong Cats: M33 (City end)

So, our traditional clash on Easter Monday - who's going
Taking my daughter to her first game where she knows what’s going on
Her other games she’s been too she’s been asleep the entire time

My first game since COVID, and my sons first game ever. I'm really amped up.

If it is a broken hand though with Stanley wouldn't you then be automatically selecting Neale for the dogs?

Whats this about stanley having a broken hand?

Very hard to see us beating the Bulldogs without Danger or Guthrie IMO.

If both teams were at full strength I would expect to win.

We beat the Dishlickers last year at Marvel without Danger and Guthrie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoneham was a complete dud after he broke his leg - a good ordinary player beforehand. He would average about 3 kicks and 4 handballs a game after he came back - about once every 5-6 games he might kick 2-3 goals and everyone would lose it ranting about what a 'great' player he was.

I was stoked when he retired. He was a waste of space for a long time. Plus a Liberal Party rep and a nasty drunk (as was his sister).
I remember Stoneham in the bars in Port Melb back in the day... Him and L Pickering gave us boys nothing, well not until the chicks were around us lol...

Stoneham was a complete dud after he broke his leg - a good ordinary player beforehand. He would average about 3 kicks and 4 handballs a game after he came back - about once every 5-6 games he might kick 2-3 goals and everyone would lose it ranting about what a 'great' player he was.

I was stoked when he retired. He was a waste of space for a long time. Plus a Liberal Party rep and a nasty drunk (as was his sister).
I was probably too young to notice Stoneham when he was just starting, but I don't really remember him being a star either. Although, there was hype about him. He probably was in the good to very good category without being exceptional in the 1988-93 era imho, but I was hardly an armchair expert in those years, was only a teen.

I would agree if you had them all at age 28 at the same time.

Melbourne had the more talented list IMO, just oodles of class and talent to burn. Not many sides have two Brownlow-worthy players in the one midfield but they do, plus they get fed by the best ruckman in the game. But they were too busy shooting themselves in the foot.
Fridge is ok up forward too but there's not a lot more there

If anyone is underestimating Bowes, I don’t think they can be blamed for doing so.

Bowes really never cracked it as a mid at the GC and ended up literally getting pushed out of the club.

He played plenty of games for us last year and once again, never really locked down that position.

He has started the season just has he started last… looking good in a practice match and then pinging a calf.

It’ll be on Bowes to turn it around and become something he never has been in the AFL.

We are going more on hope than anything with Bowes.

I think he could be a solid player for us.

I couldn’t back him in on being anything above that on years of evidence.

If he does really break out, it’ll be a massive win list management wise for us.

Fair enough, I think he's looking much slicker than last year, and with an extra year at Geelong he'll have a better handle on our system. I think he'll make a big difference. He's not going to star but he's going to be more than a solid contributer.

Disagree. Before he broke his leg Stoneham was on his way to being an all time champion. He was outstanding at both CHF and CHB and a very good ruckman. Broke his leg (compound fracture) in a centre bounce at Princess Park. From memory he suffered complications in his recovery. Played some good games when he came back but was never the same player.
Totally agree

I was probably too young to notice Stoneham when he was just starting, but I don't really remember him being a star either. Although, there was hype about him. He probably was in the good to very good category without being exceptional in the 1988-93 era imho, but I was hardly an armchair expert in those years, was only a teen.

The year prior to him getting injured he was superb. Was on the precipice of being a bona fide star. Some forget that year. Post injury he never got near that standard. His mobility was never the same unfortunately.

Where did Cleary report this? Can't see anything on his twitter?

Same, and I listened to his report when talking about Dangerfield staying in Adelaide for scans - thought he would have mentioned it then but nothing

Same, and I listened to his report when talking about Dangerfield staying in Adelaide for scans - thought he would have mentioned it then but nothing
Yea I think this Stanley injury is just a made up rumour and has grown legs to now Cleary "reporting it". Regardless I think Conway plays either this week or the following, but Stanley is definitely needed for 1 of them. Would be reckless of Scott to hold back Conway for so long citing conservativism to then play him 2 weeks in a row with a 5 day break inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back