Preview Geelong V Hawks Mon Apr1 2024 @MCG 320pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, the Dogs will be very tough. Hawthorn and Norf, we should win.
With our injuries, games can easily be tough as we saw last year. We have a better fitness base this year though, so we will see how deep we really go. Dogs are a great list, not sure how they missed finals, apart from the obvious reason, not winning enough games

I’m a tad unsure why people on here seem to rate the Hawks midfield.

Looks very ordinary to me.

Newcombe obviously is a good player but apart from him it looks a ordinary imo.

Day being out doesn’t help that midfield.
I don't think it's particularly great. But I also think without Danger or Guthrie this week ours isn't that formidable either. It's the quality we have in other parts of the ground which should see us win.

The week after against the dogs will be more challenging though. Scott is a significantly better coach than Beveridge so I still think we probably win. But in terms of the midfield battle, every player in their starting 4 will be better than everyone in our starting 4 next week.

Stoneham was like Blic- was played in ruck, KF, KB, and did all roles really well. Could have been a great FB. Nothing against Darcy and Schulze, but Stoneham would have been great back there. GAS going awol for a season did not help that cause. Plus we had Exell, Lindner, Cameron and Hamilton who were all very handy up forward in the Blighty era.
Lindner played a great GF in defence in 89.
Lindner was my favourite in 87...

Geez they're really calling him "Stumpy"? Isn't that a little insensitive?

Agree - very insensitive.

Good to see regular club updates for members though. At least they’ve stopped calling him Stumpy. Reports now suggesting that they took his right leg off below the knee.

“Eileen had a partial leg amputation and we expect him to be available for round 6”

No idea why they’re calling him Eileen now?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree with the overall sentiment, but an opposition team has to go a long way to top the talent of Dangerfield, Stewart, Cameron & Hawkins.
I would agree if you had them all at age 28 at the same time.

Melbourne had the more talented list IMO, just oodles of class and talent to burn. Not many sides have two Brownlow-worthy players in the one midfield but they do, plus they get fed by the best ruckman in the game. But they were too busy shooting themselves in the foot.

Dogs are a great list, not sure how they missed finals, apart from the obvious reason, not winning enough games
Lol it reminds me of when teams include moronic statements like "let's start well and score early" in their tactical blueprint. Like, s**t, why didn't we think of that earlier.

Sure but the other was against Essendon who aren't setting the world on fire imho. 2 Swallows don't make a spring sure, I'm just saying that it gives one pause for thought.

Essendon was within a goal of Sydney middle of the 3rd quarter playing in Sydney.

They are a rung below us as a team. But what rung do you put our midfield on?

Geelong needs to put the boot on the Squawkthorn's throat from the get-go and completely destroy the b*stards!
fire destroy GIF
flame thrower fire GIF

Stoneham was like Blic- was played in ruck, KF, KB, and did all roles really well. Could have been a great FB. Nothing against Darcy and Schulze, but Stoneham would have been great back there. GAS going awol for a season did not help that cause. Plus we had Exell, Lindner, Cameron and Hamilton who were all very handy up forward in the Blighty era.
Lindner played a great GF in defence in 89.
Stoneham was a complete dud after he broke his leg - a good ordinary player beforehand. He would average about 3 kicks and 4 handballs a game after he came back - about once every 5-6 games he might kick 2-3 goals and everyone would lose it ranting about what a 'great' player he was.

I was stoked when he retired. He was a waste of space for a long time. Plus a Liberal Party rep and a nasty drunk (as was his sister).

Stoneham was a complete dud after he broke his leg - a good ordinary player beforehand. He would average about 3 kicks and 4 handballs a game after he came back - about once every 5-6 games he might kick 2-3 goals and everyone would lose it ranting about what a 'great' player he was.

I was stoked when he retired. He was a waste of space for a long time. Plus a Liberal Party rep and a nasty drunk (as was his sister).
Disagree. Before he broke his leg Stoneham was on his way to being an all time champion. He was outstanding at both CHF and CHB and a very good ruckman. Broke his leg (compound fracture) in a centre bounce at Princess Park. From memory he suffered complications in his recovery. Played some good games when he came back but was never the same player.

Very hard to see us beating the Bulldogs without Danger or Guthrie IMO.

If both teams were at full strength I would expect to win.
As we've seen for years now though, coaching is just so important.

Scott will take Bevo to the cleaners, and with that being the case, we'll always be a very good chance against them.

We basically played an u/21s side and still had them until the last quarter late last year. There's just something about the Bulldogs that has never matched up well against Geelong.

Disagree. Before he broke his leg Stoneham was on his way to being an all time champion. He was outstanding at both CHF and CHB and a very good ruckman. Broke his leg (compound fracture) in a centre bounce at Princess Park. From memory he suffered complications in his recovery. Played some good games when he came back but was never the same player.
The bold bit. He was carried for a long time because we were basically rubbish and he was our most experienced player. I couldn't believe it when he was made captain - I threw in the towel at that point as a social club member because I was disgusted with the appointment. To me it meant we weren't serious as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bold bit. He was carried for a long time because we were basically rubbish and he was our most experienced player. I couldn't believe it when he was made captain - I threw in the towel at that point as a social club member because I was disgusted with the appointment. To me it meant we weren't serious as a club.
I get that you don’t like him personally, but as a player he was still the best CHF option we had.

I mean, the revolving door of 90s and early 2000s tall forwards… Derek Hall, Leigh Colbert, Brett Spinks, Brent Grgic, Jason Mooney, Mitch White, David Mensch, Cam Mooney, Ben Graham (who finally came good then buggered off to the US), Kent Kingsley, Henry Playfair, Matt McCarthy…

I swear there is an alternative timeline where Leigh Colbert stays, doesn’t do his ACL, and Colbert and Ben Graham kick us to the 2005 flag.

I get that you don’t like him personally, but as a player he was still the best CHF option we had.

I mean, the revolving door of 90s and early 2000s tall forwards… Derek Hall, Leigh Colbert, Brett Spinks, Brent Grgic, Jason Mooney, Mitch White, David Mensch, Cam Mooney, Ben Graham (who finally came good then buggered off to the US), Kent Kingsley, Henry Playfair, Matt McCarthy…

I swear there is an alternative timeline where Leigh Colbert stays, doesn’t do his ACL, and Colbert and Ben Graham kick us to the 2005 flag.
Why did you include Cam Mooney in the 'revolving door' of tall forwards?

OK to the rest, though I think Ben Graham was also way overrated (in any position). Kan't Kicksley is treated a bit harshly, I think - he was basically a small forward playing at FF - did ok for a season or 2 but was found out eventually.

Yes, Stoneham was probably the best CHF option but that doesn't mean he or we were any good. As I said, we were largely rubbish at that stage (from about 1996-2002/3).

Why did you include Cam Mooney in the 'revolving door' of tall forwards?
Because he was! People forget this, because he proved to be the solution, but after he had a good run at CHF in 2002, he too fell out of favour and was switched to CHB and relief ruck for a few seasons before we finally put him back to CHF in 06.

Yeh nah you’re definitely not biased cos of his personal life at all are you
No, I'm not. I mentioned that as an aside, perhaps unneccessary but completely deserved.

I saw just about every game at the ground (home and away and quite a few interstate - mainly because I didn't want to miss any of GAS) that Geelong played between about 1989-95 so I saw a lot of Stoneham's career. Before he broke his leg he was ok and occasionally very good. After he broke his leg he was gone.

With our injuries, games can easily be tough as we saw last year. We have a better fitness base this year though, so we will see how deep we really go. Dogs are a great list, not sure how they missed finals, apart from the obvious reason, not winning enough games
Will us playing at the Adelaide Oval recently be an advantage?

Barry Stoneham a Liberal Party skidmark? I never knew that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back