Opinion Geelong's era of dominance over

Remove this Banner Ad

What's this "dominance" people carry on about? Since 2011 they've won ONE flag. Sure, they've only missed finals a couple of times, but come on, that's hardly being "dominant". They've played in 2 Grand Finals in that time, less than Hawthorn 4 GFs for 3 flags, Richmond 3 GFs for 3 flags, Sydney 4 GFs for 1 flag (missed finals twice), West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood have also made 2 GFs for 1 flag, same as Geelong. There must be some usage of the word "dominant" with which I am unfamiliar.

What's this "dominance" people carry on about? Since 2011 they've won ONE flag. Sure, they've only missed finals a couple of times, but come on, that's hardly being "dominant". They've played in 2 Grand Finals in that time, less than Hawthorn 4 GFs for 3 flags, Richmond 3 GFs for 3 flags, Sydney 4 GFs for 1 flag (missed finals twice), West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood have also made 2 GFs for 1 flag, same as Geelong. There must be some usage of the word "dominant" with which I am unfamiliar.
Home and Away heroes.

1000002373.gif

The supposed era of Geelong dominance ended 13 years ago.

And while they won 3 flags in that era they choked in the 2008 GF and got stagefright in the 2010 prelim. I associate the era more with underperformance than dominance. A good side would have won 5 in a row with that list.

And since then they've done what? Solid in the regular season predominately due the their weird shape oval that gives them a massive home ground advange. For it all to mean nothing when they get rolled in the prelim Over and over and over again.

Choked in the 2020 grand final. Standard Geelong. And in 2022 Sydney put out one of the worst GF performances since Meatloaf so they had no option but to win.

And while they won 3 flags in that era they choked in the 2008 GF and got stagefright in the 2010 prelim. I associate the era more with underperformance than dominance. A good side would have won 5 in a row with that list.

And since then they've done what? Solid in the regular season predominately due the their weird shape oval that gives them a massive home ground advange. For it all to mean nothing when they get rolled in the prelim Over and over and over again.

Choked in the 2020 grand final. Standard Geelong. And in 2022 Sydney put out one of the worst GF performances since Meatloaf so they had no option but to win.
Ffs

That's a fair comment
It's more being a challenger for a long period than being dominant.

Pinning your hopes on a 34yo with fragile hamstrings returning to save you shows that times are, as your song says "dark down at Kardinia Park"

Need to get more of that Costa Living Allowance in the back pocket of prospective recruits this off season to bolster the side.

Crows are coming for your spot in the eight!

Pinning your hopes on a 34yo with fragile hamstrings returning to save you shows that times are "dark down at Kardinia Park"

Need to get more of that Costa Living Allowance in the back pocket of prospective recruits this off season to bolster the side.

Crows are coming for your spot in the eight!
Nothing a few free farms can't fix im sure.

Midfield would have to be the worst or at least close to the worst in the comp. Will need to get creative to fix that in one off season.

Word

Nothing a few free farms can't fix im sure.

Midfield would have to be the worst or at least close to the worst in the comp. Will need to get creative to fix that in one off season.

Funniest thing is they have Bowes on 700k a year coming on as a sub as a mid. They have the worst midfield in the league and he still can’t get into the 22

Cats will be a middle of the road team, their massive home ground advantage will ensure they win enough games not to bottom out

Like I have said before they are in no man’s land

They have 10 30 yr olds in the team and have lost 4 in a row .

Maybe its referring to home ground dominance? ;) :thumbsu:

Yep, Cameron, Dangerfield, Hawkins and Stewart will all be gone within 3 years, and those four are so important to Geelong's structure. They have more that will be gone of course, but the 4 listed are the big ones.

Yes but they are very good at filling weaknesses very quickly usually in the space of 1-2 trade periods.

They would of made many more GF's if they were rightly rewarded with 2 home finals when they earned them.

Very unique club.

won't believe it until they slip down into the bottom half of the ladder, and even then most people will still be spooked until they start losing more than they win. we want to dance on their corpse but we've tried that before.

while they've been happy to trade for star players rather than lean entirely on free agency, you still have to be an attractive proposition so you might assume they might be less interesting to players seeking to move, unless it's a lifestyle thing they're chasing. it will be interesting to see how they bottom out and how they approach, if they really do bottom out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have them next week and Dusty just coming in form against his bunnies. 5 losses in a row would result riots shutting down bingo nights.

There goes my hero
Watch him as he goes

Hawkins looked cooked. Duncan and Dangerfield get injured too easily. Build their game around all of their ageing stars. Hardest part of the rebuild still to come.

Giants were without Kelly, Ward, Ash, Buckley, Brown, Jones and Cogs for 3 quarters.

Cats were missing Danger… anyone else?

I'll accept your immediate concession this time, but next time I'd prefer a bit more back-and-forth before you roll over.
What rolling over? Home and away Heroes since Scott took over, bookended by flags 11 years apart.

Not sure what your irrelevant photo was meant to prove.

What rolling over? Home and away Heroes since Scott took over, bookended by flags 11 years apart.

Not sure what your irrelevant photo was meant to prove.
Take the two biggest clubs in the land in Collingwood and West Coast.

Combine their finals achievements in the 21st century.

You've now equaled the finals success of the provincial home and away heroes.

A humbling exercise I'm sure.

Take the two biggest clubs in the land in Collingwood and West Coast.

Combine their finals achievements in the 21st century.

You've now equaled the finals success of the provincial home and away heroes.

A humbling exercise I'm sure.

Cool, a very dank fact I'm sure you're proud of.

Nobody else particularly cares though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back