General AFL thread 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Rors, I'm heading back to footy (training) after about 6 years out...

In that time I've had 3 hip arthroscopes (L&R), a full debridement (R), a (nearly full) dislocated patella (L) and considered a clean out on the other knee. On top of that I've had a history of hamstring issues and now I have old man's back... and an extra 7kg has found its way onto my frame...

I can accept that it's going to be a seriously hard slog, it's going to hurt and I'm going to ping a few things, but I absolutely want to avoid more knee issues, especially on the 'loose' knee.

Does strapping work at all, and if so what's the best pattern/form to use?

In that time I've had 3 hip arthroscopes (L&R), a full debridement (R), a (nearly full) dislocated patella (L) and considered a clean out on the other knee. On top of that I've had a history of hamstring issues and now I have old man's back... and an extra 7kg has found its way onto my frame...

I can accept that it's going to be a seriously hard slog, it's going to hurt and I'm going to ping a few things, but I absolutely want to avoid more knee issues, especially on the 'loose' knee.

You silly silly old man.

Jesus. What a crock.

Seriously though. Best advice is to get rid of that seven kilos.

I lost 12 for my last half marathon and did a 14 minute PB.
Plan to lose another 8-10 to have a crack at the full marathon next October.

Also have torn miniscus in both knees and had arthroscopes on both BEFORE I started running again. No knee issues apart of the usual old age soreness, lots of calves, "hamstring awareness", 3 months of plantar fas and general stuff.

Good luck

You silly silly old man.
Oh I know.

I also forgot the two sets of broken ribs and the arthritic big toe on my kicking foot...
Jesus. What a crock.

Seriously though. Best advice is to get rid of that seven kilos.

I lost 12 for my last half marathon and did a 14 minute PB.
Plan to lose another 8-10 to have a crack at the full marathon next October.

Also have torn miniscus in both knees and had arthroscopes on both BEFORE I started running again. No knee issues apart of the usual old age soreness, lots of calves, "hamstring awareness", 3 months of plantar fas and general stuff.

Good luck
I'm losing them as we speak, although TBF I was probably 'underweight' when I played. I'm Joey's height and he has 5kg on what I played at.

You're right though, less weight will make it better. The boys are trying to get me to play a few games too, but my "* off, you must be ******* joking" response was fairly emphatic.

Firstly, you should go & see a physio & learn the best ways to strap the knee, especially is you've had that much trouble & it being 'loose' as you put it.

Secondly, DO NOT GO STRAIGHT INTO FOOTY TRAINING. After that long out of it, you'll need to do some basic prep work to get your body in tune with what you're about to put it though (even if it is just footy training, no playing matches). Push-ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, dynamic work with a slam ball. Lots of stretching, myofascial rolling. Personally, i would do about 6 weeks of this 4-5 times a week before starting training.

Ps. I'm doing the same after not playing since 2006, however my worst injury is only a high-grade medial knee ligament injury with subluxed knee cap. I've been doing a heap of lunges, squats & slam ball work to get that strength back into the legs & get accustomed to the loading & twisting again

Firstly, you should go & see a physio & learn the best ways to strap the knee, especially is you've had that much trouble & it being 'loose' as you put it.

Secondly, DO NOT GO STRAIGHT INTO FOOTY TRAINING. After that long out of it, you'll need to do some basic prep work to get your body in tune with what you're about to put it though (even if it is just footy training, no playing matches). Push-ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, dynamic work with a slam ball. Lots of stretching, myofascial rolling. Personally, i would do about 6 weeks of this 4-5 times a week before starting training.

Ps. I'm doing the same after not playing since 2006, however my worst injury is only a high-grade medial knee ligament injury with subluxed knee cap. I've been doing a heap of lunges, squats & slam ball work to get that strength back into the legs & get accustomed to the loading & twisting again
You are a prince among men.

EDIT: forget what I said, the missus - who's a nurse - just got wind of what I had planned. She threatened to repeatedly sack whack me! :eek:

Last edited:

You crazy bastard LOL.

i played from the age of 8 till i was 31.
Besides from a broken rib & nose a few times (which is just a stock standard footy injury) i pretty much went from 8 to 30 without 1 single soft tissue injury.
But OMG thy footy Gods did striketh me down in that 31st year. Hammy got twanged harder than Jimi Hendrix's guitar string.
I had more Calf problems than England during the mad cow epidemic and when my Quad tore is felt like Satans pitchfork was impaling the top of my leg. I screamed so loud that flocks of Birds flew out of trees frightened by my wailing.
Good luck son.........................................your gonna need it:D

Sounds like you're trying to get and 80 year old active again after slipping over in the shower hahah poor Barrels

Don't train too hard. Hawthorn might call

You crazy bastard LOL.

i played from the age of 8 till i was 31.
Besides from a broken rib & nose a few times (which is just a stock standard footy injury) i pretty much went from 8 to 30 without 1 single soft tissue injury.
But OMG thy footy Gods did striketh me down in that 31st year. Hammy got twanged harder than Jimi Hendrix's guitar string.
I had more Calf problems than England during the mad cow epidemic and when my Quad tore is felt like Satans pitchfork was impaling the top of my leg. I screamed so loud that flocks of Birds flew out of trees frightened by my wailing.
Good luck son.........................................your gonna need it:D
Haha... I'll be 36 in July :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm just planning on training once a week for starters & seeing how I go in the end Of preseason n practice match in late March. I stopped playing in 2006 cos every time I landed on my left knee, it would blow up & swell my lower leg for a week. It just got ridiculous playing one week then missing one or two weeks, rinse & repeat all season.

Does your club have decent trainers? They should be able to strap you up pretty well unless theyre terrible.

Also I hope youve started a regiment of improving your sledging as you're work of late is reserves level at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does your club have decent trainers? They should be able to strap you up pretty well unless theyre terrible.

Also I hope youve started a regiment of improving your sledging as you're work of late is reserves level at best.
*they're
*you've
*regimen
*your

Next player please...

You gonna get boned.

Reaction_9e292b_616339.jpg

Im no professional obviously but the one thing I'd suggest is hit up your local pool 2-3 times a week before you start training. Helped me.

I want to laugh at all of you injured old men...

... But after a day in the garden, moving about 2 cubic metres of mushroom compost with a dodgy wheelbarrow, I am so sore.

... So. So. Sore...

I want to laugh at all of you injured old men...

... But after a day in the garden, moving about 2 cubic metres of mushroom compost with a dodgy wheelbarrow, I am so sore.

... So. So. Sore...
Pfft. Weak campaigner. To remind you all of my awesomeness here am I finishing the half marathon in Oct
cbde5e3cdecca10290a5423036d93fed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back