General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Six of the eight teams we've played have a record of at least 4-3 in matches not involving us (exceptions being Hawthorn and NM). This is not like 2018 where we were just racking up easy wins against the sh*t-kickers, we've had to beat 6 of the top 10 teams in the league on the way to this point. Yeah, of course, things can always go south from here, but anyone trying to say that going 8-0 isn't a very real indication of how we're going now is an idiot.

pjfairbairn

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Six of the eight teams we've played have a record of at least 4-3 in matches not involving us (exceptions being Hawthorn and NM). This is not like 2018 where we were just racking up easy wins against the sh*t-kickers, we've had to beat 6 of the top 10 teams in the league on the way to this point. Yeah, of course, things can always go south from here, but anyone trying to say that going 8-0 isn't a very real indication of how we're going now is an idiot.
And ironically, Hawthorn & North are the games where we really threatened to lose

rhaz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
What is going on with our centre clearances?

I can't find the team stats but I'm sure they'd show us ranking well down the league despite having healthy clearance numbers overall.

We seem to rotate a ton of players through there, including Melksham, which just doesn't work. Especially when the game has been tight in 4th quarters, get our best setup in there FFS.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting hearing Trac on SEN this morning talking about holding teammates to account and being unselfish. Great example of this is right after Trac kicked his goal against Sydney. He immediately went back to Melksham who had launched the ball into the goal square with seemingly zero purpose or consideration and Trac was pointing to the goals asking him did he mean to kick for goal. So even though Trac kicked the goal, he was more concerned about the entry as it would have been an intercept mark to Sydney had Tommy Mac not come in at the last minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bluelegs

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2012
Robbo's sleeve
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Greenbay Packers
Interesting hearing Trac on SEN this morning talking about holding teammates to account and being unselfish. Great example of this is right after Trac kicked his goal against Sydney. He immediately went back to Melksham who had launched the ball into the goal square with seemingly zero purpose or consideration and Trac was pointing to the goals asking him did he mean to kick for goal. So even though Trac kicked the goal, he was more concerned about the entry as it would have been an intercept mark to Sydney had Tommy Mac not come in at the last minute.
Lingy reckons we've gotta get that sort of thing out of our game lol.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I noticed that too - it wasn't demonstrative, it looked more like he was saying 'even though we got a goal out of it, was that really the best option for you?'

And agree, Trac was really good on SEN this morning. Loved how honest he was that Tommy Mac "stuck it up the club a bit" in returning to form this year

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
Anyone know what the go is for tickets this week?

I thought I saw somewhere that members were back in their reserved seats but di you still have to book through ticketek?

stEdy

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Full credit to the club for giving Tommy Mac a clean slate and sticking by him.

Obviously the Weed and Brown injuries opened up a spot for him, but his work over the pre-season and motivation speaks to his drive as a player and also the environment that we created to give him that opportunity again. Many other players would have simply but the cue in the rack after nearly being traded and being on good coin. But Goody and the other coaches obviously gave him a clear route to get back into the side which he's taken with 2 hands. They've also kept him forward when it would have been tempting to throw him back.

It's maybe the story of our year. He's playing like a genuine world beater again.

LeverPuller

BigFooty Tanker
Jun 23, 2011
Q49, Olympic Stand
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
I was about to post Ron due to age but sadly Neil is probably less likely to see a premiership after 2021.

So:
Neil: 2021
RDB: 2022
And for the threepeat in 2023: Neitz and Jones.
I don’t know if RDB’s health is that good either tbh.

The sad part with Neale is if he makes it to the GF he’s almost definitely not physically up to presenting the cup anyway. It would be a massive gesture but he would need a lot of support to physically do it. I doubt he could hold the trophy at all now.

Remove this Banner Ad