Analysis 2018 General Offseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith gets to live out the next months as an a/b grader.

During off-season I'm a Triple Norm Smith winner as well.

He was injured in the last game

The more games you miss the better you are

If in doubt see Reid, Mills and Naismith

Naismith and Reid won’t make f*** all real difference to the side next year

Naismith is not much better than sinclair in impact on game and Reid is never going to be what people think he can be unfortunately

Improvement needs to come from the under 25s and hope the old farts can keep going

If we make the 8 in 2019 we would of done well, veterans will need to turn back the clock if we are to be a threat can Kennedy, Grundy, Smith, Franklin, Jack, McVeigh maintain or better their performance?

Naismith and Reid won’t make f*** all real difference to the side next year

Naismith is not much better than sinclair in impact on game and Reid is never going to be what people think he can be unfortunately

Improvement needs to come from the under 25s and hope the old farts can keep going

Re: Naismith - scores from clearances from back end of 2016 says otherwise but I concede his work around the ground needs to improve significantly. I am willing to back the big Cox to get more out of him.

Re: Reid - I agree that is no superstar. What Reid does do is help Buddy as another respected target that draws defenders, and gives us a target up the wings. He (or any player like him) is vital to our structures imo. McCartin tried manfully but was not ready to be this player.

Hopefully we can get an injury free run for both of them.

Also just because we sucked for decades doesn’t mean we should be happy treading water or falling further again

Let’s aim for better than not being as s**t as the past imo

Re: Naismith - scores from clearances from back end of 2016 says otherwise but I concede his work around the ground needs to improve significantly. I am willing to back the big Cox to get more out of him.

Re: Reid - I agree that is no superstar. What Reid does do is help Buddy as another respected target that draws defenders, and gives us a target up the wings. He (or any player like him) is vital to our structures imo. McCartin tried manfully but was not ready to be this player.

Hopefully we can get an injury free run for both of them.

Reid- it’s more he just wont get out there consistently. I thought he wasn’t bad in 2017, but geez 1 year in 3 he has played, so it’s almost getting beyond a joke, and he can go missing for large patches of footy. I’d almost rather just develop mccartin, but if he does get cherry ripe I agree can impact, but not as much as some think imo

Naismith was taking the piss a bit, he is promising, but he hasn’t really started his career, I’m confident he will be good, but not sure he elevates us greatly in 2019 beyond what sinclair was giving us, but maybe he and sinclair in the same side helps, I think what Naismith adds we might lose from stinkers, he thrived as a sole ruck, will he go backwards?

Who the heck wants to go back to being that s**t?

No one, I think the club should always be looking for it’s next flag and I think discussing and picking apart things is not being ungreatful for the success, it’s wanting to ensure we don’t go back to being nothing imo

We should be ruthless

I love how the most common argument people make in favour of Reid is how his presence in the team helps Buddy.

Not what Reid himself does, but how his physical existence in the forward line helps our team.

Why not just play a mannequin instead? More chance of making it onto the park every week and a lot cheaper.

I love how the most common argument people make in favour of Reid is how his presence in the team helps Buddy.

Not what Reid himself does, but how his physical existence in the forward line helps our team.

Why not just play a mannequin instead? More chance of making it onto the park every week and a lot cheaper.

His own output is ordinary I guess, other than helping structure

No one, I think the club should always be looking for it’s next flag and I think discussing and picking apart things is not being ungreatful for the success, it’s wanting to ensure we don’t go back to being nothing imo

We should be ruthless

We shouldnt just be resting back and going oh we have had a good last 10yrs few slipups and you can tumble all the way back down again.

We have to keep striving towards improving every year, just look at our rivals Richmond not satisfied of winning a flag they go and get Lynch, Hawthorn 3 in a row trade aggressively every year.

Barring the last 2 days (lets be real nothing is gonna happen) this has been a woeful trade period and we haven't improved at all heading into 2019.

‘The club think the list is in good shape, as many do here of course, I think it’s ok too but there’s a lot of things have to go right, and a lot of extra luck needed due to age of players we need to improve and also luck with injuries as we seem unable to cope with them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldnt just be resting back and going oh we have had a good last 10yrs few slipups and you can tumble all the way back down again.

We have to keep striving towards improving every year, just look at our rivals Richmond not satisfied of winning a flag they go and get Lynch, Hawthorn 3 in a row trade aggressively every year.

In fairness we did that with Tippett and then Buddy in consecutive years after a flag. And in fairness again, that attitude of devoting huge $$ on one or two mega-stars (lol Tippett) was controversial and you could argue for and against it in hindsight. I think the club has the right idea looking at our current list and thinking the groundwork is laid for our next great Swans team. But it's difficult to know when you have so many kids, because we're not sure yet which ones will become stars, and which ones may not eventuate to become much. Another season or two, and we'll know the answers to these questions.

ie. whether Dawson will or won't become our next midfield bull; whether Melican will or won't become as sturdy as Grundy in defence; whether McCartin does have what it takes to hold the CHF position for the next decade; whether Ling or Stoddart can become quality rebounding flankers.

Last thing you wanna do is pounce on a superstar in one position only to find out we had the answer to that particular problem all along. It may just require some patience from the supporters (hahahahahahaha)

The first argument you make is about people wanting a player in the team to take pressure off Buddy, and the last argument you make is to play a player short.... ???

Buddy in the team helps Hayward, Ronke and Papley.

Rampe in the team helps Aliir, Lloyd, Cunningham etc

Mills and Smith coming in release Jones (or Mills) to the midfield.

Kennedy in the team helps Parker, Heeney.

Teams are a sum of their parts. If parts aren’t working the group does not get the most out of each other. Each individual component does not need to be a superstar but an even contributor that brings each other into the game.

Reid coming in takes some focus off Buddy both from a target perspective and from an opposition defensive perspective.

Naismith in the team allows our mids to setup more offensively, because when he does win the hitouts it is more decisive.

As for Reid I like what he brings to the team as a player, as well as what he brings structurally. That does not make me any less frustrated with his injuries in fact it is probably to the contrary given I rate his value to the side higher than most, even if I concede he is no superstar.

The first argument you make is about people wanting a player in the team to take pressure off Buddy, and the last argument you make is to play a player short.... ???

Teams are a sum of their parts. If parts aren’t working the group does not get the most out of each other. Each individual component does not need to be a superstar but an even contributor that brings each other into the game.

Reid coming in takes some focus off Buddy both from a target perspective and from an opposition defensive perspective.

Naismith in the team allows our mids to setup more offensively, because when he does win the hitouts it is more decisive.

As for Reid I like what he brings to the team as a player, as well as what he brings structurally. That does not make me any less frustrated with his injuries in fact it is probably to the contrary given I rate his value to the side higher than most, even if I concede he is no superstar.

I see where you are coming from in all of that

But I think the consistent focus for Reid has been what he will do to assist someone, buddy now, buddy and Tippett before, Goodes , Hall etc

When is he stepping up to be a key and not an assistant I think was more the point

He does have a good mark, his switching to defence (though overdone) was helpful, but he didn’t draw anything away from buddy imo, if anything he led to his space too often, jumped at the same ball, got more defenders there. But we do tend to kick wide forward

Can someone give me some encouragement about Ling? We reached for him in the draft and he didn't get onto the park but we still extended his contract. Can someone who has seen him play give me a sense of hope?

FWIW I was joking re playing a player short. All those players you just mentioned do help other players, but they are also quality players themselves. I rate them all individually so yes the team is a sum of it's parts, but I think Reid is a dud part. Just my opinion. We can go back and forth if you like, but I've believed that about Reid since very early in his career. We're now 7 or so years later and I still think the same so I doubt my mind will be changed there.

Can someone give me some encouragement about Ling? We reached for him in the draft and he didn't get onto the park but we still extended his contract. Can someone who has seen him play give me a sense of hope?

Didn’t really get a chance at NEAFL level to show anything as was injured. I will say I wasn’t impressed before I found out he was trying to play through his injury.

I did rewatch his u18 video the other day though, and I really liked what I saw from him.

He was good enough preinjury for the club to quickly offer him an extended deal, so I am pretty excited to see him next season.

His season review video the other day said he played a role this year as a line coach in the NEAFL, which I thought was an excellent piece of development from the club.

7th-12th imo

Midfield is a massive issue imo , depth and class. Regardless of jones and mills going in , haven’t seen if either are capable.

Rampe still being undersized and giving away height , weight etc but still is told to play on KPF

Reid is finished as a consistent AFL player , his body won’t and can’t cope with the demands.

Issues with age and like rok , Goodes , Richards could all be done very early next year career wise.
Macca
Grundy
Jack
Lesser JPK

We have missed the window imo and should have retired a few and moved on

7th-12th imo

Midfield is a massive issue imo , depth and class. Regardless of jones and mills going in , haven’t seen if either are capable.

Rampe still being undersized and giving away height , weight etc but still is told to play on KPF

Reid is finished as a consistent AFL player , his body won’t and can’t cope with the demands.

Issues with age and like rok , Goodes , Richards could all be done very early next year career wise.
Macca
Grundy
Jack
Lesser JPK

We have missed the window imo and should have retired a few and moved on

Blakey will need to be ready to go round 1 and impact the side

FWIW I was joking re playing a player short. All those players you just mentioned do help other players, but they are also quality players themselves. I rate them all individually so yes the team is a sum of it's parts, but I think Reid is a dud part. Just my opinion. We can go back and forth if you like, but I've believed that about Reid since very early in his career. We're now 7 or so years later and I still think the same so I doubt my mind will be changed there.

I thought the best we played all year was in Round 3 vs GWS, Reid’s only game.

Reid kicked 2.2 and had 12 touches 6 Marks.

Buddy kicked 2 goals and had:
19 kicks (season high)
22 disposals (season high)
10 Marks (equal 2nd best)
9 inside 50s (season high)

Just sayin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back