Opinion Get Clarko to The Hangar - 5 year deal done says Heppellfreak (post #334) - now with poll

Clarkson? (Choose all that apply)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The team is just now starting to play good football, they are young, and so is truck, give them time to mature, build a bond together, become more skilled, bigger and stronger and challenge for the flag in a few years time.

Look at Collingwood, young team, some aging starts, a new young coach, BUT a team with loads of desire and detemination, and a belief they can achieve anything.

We can do the same, just a couple of years behind them.

I think with a bit more experience we will be Collingwoods biggest challenge in the coming decade.

I think Truck is a very good coach, and he is not much older than his players, their communication and respect seems pretty good.

I would like to know what statistical basis your 50/50 calculation has for starters. I would suggest it wouldn't be close to that.

So using that logic, why ever hire a first time coach?
Other than the fact that 11 of the last 13 premiership coaches were all originally first time head coaches with the club they won them for varying different amounts of time before they broke through (Malthouse and Matthews the exceptions).
Just based off who I can think of. So in the last 25 odd years, I can think of:
  • Blight pass (Ade) & fail (St Kilda)
  • Matthews pass (BRL)
  • Malthouse pass (Coll) & fail (Car)
  • Worsfold fail (us)
  • Lyon pass (Freo to GF)
  • Eade semi-pass (Wbd to PF) and fail (GC)
  • Wallace fail (Rich)
I’m excluding Pagan as nobody could have done anything with that Carlton list, and Roos as I think he achieved with Melbourne what he was trying to do. Same with Sheedy and the giants.

Im sure I’m forgetting a few, I only thought of Eade and Wallace as I was compiling the list. So of the 11 examples above it’s about 4.5, depending on how you rank making a PF. That’s a 40% success rate.

The team is just now starting to play good football, they are young, and so is truck, give them time to mature, build a bond together, become more skilled, bigger and stronger and challenge for the flag in a few years time.

Look at Collingwood, young team, some aging starts, a new young coach, BUT a team with loads of desire and detemination, and a belief they can achieve anything.

We can do the same, just a couple of years behind them.

I think with a bit more experience we will be Collingwoods biggest challenge in the coming decade.

I think Truck is a very good coach, and he is not much older than his players, their communication and respect seems pretty good.
Interesting comparison.

McRae a first year coach outocoached truck when we played.

Coll were also expected to do much worse than ess at the start of year. Y the confidence in truck

Just based off who I can think of. So in the last 25 odd years, I can think of:
  • Blight pass (Ade) & fail (St Kilda)
  • Matthews pass
  • Malthouse pass & fail
  • Worsfold fail (us)
  • Lyon pass (Freo to GF)
  • Eade semi-pass (Wbd to PF) and fail (GC)
  • Wallace fail
I’m excluding Pagan as nobody could have done anything with that Carlton list, and Roos as I think ahead achieved with Melbourne what he was trying to do. Same with Sheedy and the giants.

Im sure I’m forgetting a few, I only thought of Eade and Wallace as I was compiling the list. So of the 11 examples above it’s about 4.5, depending on how you rank making a PF. That’s a 40% success rate.
So you disregard the ones that don't suit your argument then, cool.
I'll give you Roos and Sheedy because of unique situations but Pagan has to be included if you are going to include Worsfold and Eade at GCS (which you do). So 4/12 or 33% and no where close to 50/50.

Again, using your logic then, why ever I hire a first time coach? I mean, only 11 of 13 different premiership coaches were first timers with that club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping Rutten is purely a hope that he'll be good and that stability is the answer, he hasn't shown much and there is very little evidence he's an OK coach.

Clarko, Truck or someone else I have no idea but we are so weak and conditional.
my biggest issue is it doesn't appear the powers that be are any more clued in than we are.
Is it Truck or Clarko. That's really not ideal.

so hard to rate
that list is alright. GWS have some great runners and were probably due a blip year.
But he has done a good job in a short time. GWS could do worse than offer him a couple of years
With Hird as one of his assistants. Apprenticeship done in a few years and can come back to take us to glory if Truck is a failure.😁

Given that this young list is good. The only way Clarkson would replace Rutten is if the players wanted Rutten gone.
The club is not going to risk this rebuild falling apart now.

Given that this young list is good. The only way Clarkson would replace Rutten is if the players wanted Rutten gone.
The club is not going to risk this rebuild falling apart now.

We’re 14th and have lost to the 16th and 17th placed teams in the last 4 weeks. While there may not be a huge amount to gain, there’s also absolutely nothing to risk… it’s not like there are clubs lining up for Rutten.

We’re 14th and have lost to the 16th and 17th placed teams in the last 4 weeks. While there may not be a huge amount to gain, there’s also absolutely nothing to risk… it’s not like there are clubs lining up for Rutten.

We’ve also beaten the 5th and 6th best teams and should have beaten the 2nd.

Interesting comparison.

McRae a first year coach outocoached truck when we played.

Coll were also expected to do much worse than ess at the start of year. Y the confidence in truck
That's an overstatement. We took it to a top four team, coming back from 5 goals down and lost it at the death. Their list is peppered with young players, sure, but they still have a significant slew of older players, who only recently played in a GF, whose age hasn't caught up with them; Pendlebury, Elliot, Sidearse, Cox. It's not all on the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back