Opinion Get Clarko to The Hangar - 5 year deal done says Heppellfreak (post #334) - now with poll

Clarkson? (Choose all that apply)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every week it's a issue though. It wasn't like oh it fell down this one time. Happens most weeks that's a coach or message issue.
Or a player issue and poor leadership on field to drive the message.
Listen to Hodge talk about it. He openly says without the on field leadership Clarkson would not be able to achieve what he did.

So you would prefer a defender to have limited defending and just zone off rather than actually defending?
What he has done with Ridley is 100% what was needed. He had to start playing accountable footy and doing his part as a defender.
He has also moved McGrath to defence.
It was also easy to tag Merrett last week because we only had two experienced midfielders in the side.
He will have more flexibility this week.
Yeah but at what point do you use players strengths.

We have enough accountable defenders in the wings and not sure Ridley will ever be great at it.

He can be a intercept weapon though. I get longer term goal but not sure much has been achieved but time will tell. Think opposition would prefer Ridley playing an accountable role rather than planning for his intercept and skillful kicking.

Last edited:
So you would prefer a defender to have limited defending and just zone off rather than actually defending?
What he has done with Ridley is 100% what was needed. He had to start playing accountable footy and doing his part as a defender.
He has also moved McGrath to defence.
It was also easy to tag Merrett last week because we only had two experienced midfielders in the side.
He will have more flexibility this week.
Defeatist attitude. I'll watch the next two games and the if Merrett gets tagged your confident we will have a plan in place to deal with it?

Or a player issue and poor leadership on field to drive the message.
Listen to Hodge talk about it. He openly says without the on field leadership Clarkson would not be able to achieve what he did.
On field leadership is a issue but I also didn't see the runner/Rutten screaming down the phone from the bench to set up properly. Or talking to players in the wrong position. I don't see it when it continually happens.

To me it kind of seems happy with how we set up just unlucky which is BS.

Why are you focusing on a single move and not the whole side? Thrashed vs Collingwood in the first quarter and dominated the next two quarter because of how we stopped allowing Collingwood easy transition. Collingwood are a good side so they hit back in the last quarter.

Bad in the first quarter vs Sydney, dominated the next quarter and won the game.

Changed how we played in the last quarter vs Hawthorn and that got us the win.

Changed our set up vs Port in the first game after struggling to adjust to the weather and nearly beat them after adjusting.

Our centre square setup vs Bulldogs last year is the single biggest reason why we won the game (and played finals). Completely thrashed one of the best midfields in the competition because of how Stringer was used. We needed to win that and we did.

A bad match day coach cannot turn games around.
Getting closer.

What did the coach change against Sydney?

What did we change to stop the transition?

What changes were made to set up vs port?

You should be able to point some specific out instead of generalities based on the flow of a game.

How was stringer used differently in the game vs Bulldogs? I do remember that game briefly and thinking it was planned well but can't remember anything specific we did different.

Did we try it in finals.

Getting closer.

What did the coach change against Sydney?

What did we change to stop the transition?

What changes were made to set up vs port?

You should be able to point some specific out instead of generalities based on the flow of a game.

How was stronger used in the game vs Bulldogs? I do remember that game briefly and thinking it was planned well but can't remember anything specific we did different.

Did we try it in finals.
I'm not going to watch the game back and get into specifics when the results speak for themselves, but overall, we defended those games much better and adjusted to how the other team plays. That doesn't happen often vs different top 8 if he was a bad match day coach.

Is changing the flow of the game not the perfect example of a good match day coach? That's the job of a good match day coach. Making changes or reinforcing what works well to change the momentum of the game.

Stringer was very dominant in the centre square alongside Parish. Both along with Shiel combined for 13 centre clearances, most of which resulted in clean entries inside 50. It exploited Bulldogs' general weakness in in the ruck and practically opened Bulldogs' defensive side of the centre square, something Melbourne also exploited in the grand final. It's why we had 97 points (22 scoring shots) from only 39 entries. Obviously not going to be as effective in the rain down in Tasmania as that requires the whole team to play a contested brand of football, something the list isn't really built for.

On field leadership is a issue but I also didn't see the runner/Rutten screaming down the phone from the bench to set up properly. Or talking to players in the wrong position. I don't see it when it continually happens.

To me it kind of seems happy with how we set up just unlucky which is BS.
What players had a phone ? 😛

Wright and Jones where a bit far away to hear a coach yelling and that is where the problem started. It allowed the overlap run.

What players had a phone ? 😛

Wright and Jones where a bit far away to hear a coach yelling and that is where the problem started. It allowed the overlap run.
Think phones are banned but hope we could still use signs and runners.

Even some post even coaching I would have liked to notice.

I'm not going to watch the game back and get into specifics when the results speak for themselves, but overall, we defended those games much better and adjusted to how the other team plays. That doesn't happen often vs different top 8 if he was a bad match day coach.

Is changing the flow of the game not the perfect example of a good match day coach? That's the job of a good match day coach. Making changes or reinforcing what works well to change the momentum of the game.

Stringer was very dominant in the centre square alongside Parish. Both along with Shiel combined for 13 centre clearances, most of which resulted in clean entries inside 50. It exploited Bulldogs' general weakness in in the ruck and practically opened Bulldogs' defensive side of the centre square, something Melbourne also exploited in the grand final. It's why we had 97 points (22 scoring shots) from only 39 entries. Obviously not going to be as effective in the rain down in Tasmania as that requires the whole team to play a contested brand of football, something the list isn't really built for.
It 3 years and the best example is the momentum changed in these games but no specifics on why.

Parish, Shiel, stringer had good games. Anything specific we did that allowed this?

Area we tapped to, how they blocked for each other etc. The bulldog example is better as I'm assuming your suggesting the plan was to target front of clearance and have stringer Shiel hitting that area as it was identified as area of weakness. (Credit of this was the case) well done we had 1 other example before page 40.

Not asking you to go back and watch but feel free to watch a bit closer over the next two weeks if you like and provide some good coaching structure examples. It shouldnt be that hard.

I'll wait. Port I don't care for but will be all onboard if Rutten can put some plans in place to help us beat the tigers.

It 3 years and the best example is the momentum changed in these games but no specifics on why.
All you have given us is Clarko’s cluster and left footed players. Not exactly specific. You’re asking for something you know no one can be stuffed giving you and you’re counting it as a win.

I'm asking for any specifics match day examples.

The best I have is moving Caldwell into defensive mid role, which was working really well.

Pretty annoying continuing to play mid of Merrett, parish, McGrath when it doesn't work. So that slight adjustment with Caldwell has worked.

It’s a weird thing to fixate on.

Richmond didn’t make big match day moves when they racked up 3 premierships in 4 years. Does that suddenly make Hardwick a bad coach?

Does it get easier to make match day changes when you’re working with a playing group who’s experienced and has the basics of the system working unconsciously?

I feel like you’re trying to pick at a very specific thing because you already know the answer you want, very disingenuous.

I'm not alistair Clarkson so I don't know exactly what would implement but I'll give it a crack

I don't think he would let Ridley (have next to no influence over games). Get him involved if we're losing and he is not involved.

Try Harrison Jones at chb if hasn't had a kick for 3.5 quarters (like Bulldogs did with Naughton who is currently twice player Jones is)

Sort out what to do with McGrath, parish, Merrett when all available. Potentially Merrett FF to break tags or have a team plan when Merrett gets heavily tagged. McGrath to back pocket if the mid group is not working and no run.

(Red dog burst in the guts) swing Ridley, laverde fwd if we need to score to win. A coach should know which of these has more chance of success.

I would suggest a defensive structure from kick out and redtime. I don't think clarko would demonstrated something different as what we currently do doesn't work.

So there some of things I'd expect from Clarkson or any senior coach really. I'd expect a coach to actually come up with ideas 100 X better than this. But happy if Rutten can solve any of the above.

You realise most of this is stuff they already do, or have tried and doesn’t work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think phones are banned but hope we could still use signs and runners.

Even some post even coaching I would have liked to notice.
Runners are limited now days as well. The simple fact is if we had better on ground leadership we would have been a better chance to maybe do something.
They train scenarios. Problem was two of the forwards where slow to switch on . It happens all the time because in general our forwards have been poor as far as defensive actions go.
I know they coach set up the ground. If you go to the VFL you can hear Stants screaming it from the boundary.

Truck may not be getting the message through which is a concern but we need a real list rebuild and overall change of culture.

It’s a weird thing to fixate on.

Richmond didn’t make big match day moves when they racked up 3 premierships in 4 years. Does that suddenly make Hardwick a bad coach?

Does it get easier to make match day changes when you’re working with a playing group who’s experienced and has the basics of the system working unconsciously?

I feel like you’re trying to pick at a very specific thing because you already know the answer you want, very disingenuous.
Hardwick didn’t need to change much. He would just re emphasise “kick it to Dusty.” He then had the leadership of Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance and Grimes. Not a bad group to start with.
Sheedy instilled versatility in every team he coached. He never sat still and hoped plan A might work eventually. He always had plan A,B,C and D.

Clarkson had one move.

Throw Burgoyne into where the trouble was.

Backline malfunctioning. Burgoyne to half back.

Forwardline not clicking. Burgoyne as half forward.

In really big trouble. Burgoyne in the guts.

2020 was used as a marketing tactic to extend his honeymoon period in the eyes of the supporter base. Anyone with any semblance of reality can see what they were doing. And by the looks of it, it clearly fooled you. There is no need to be this perturbed just because some of us aren't that gullible or privy to falling for the ruse.

Luckily for us, we've skipped ahead a few years. So whether you acknowledge it or not - time's flew by. And whatever benefit the club has hoped to gain from that ruse, is fading, and the chickens are due to come home to roost sooner, rather than later - and Rutten, and the club, better start getting it's act together.
Indeed. Looking back on it - it seems to have worked beautifully for the board.

Give him 2019 as an assistant to get a head start on his defensive zone and instilling his bloo kolla ethos on the playing group. Then give him 2020 in a role described by senior players as "basically head coach". But then we'll only start counting 2021 and 2022 to save our arses when it backfires.

Next we'll be retconning 2022 because it was a super duper hard draw, we had some injuries, Truck missed a game with COVID, not enough senior leaders - so when you think about it he's only coached about 9.7 games.

Defeatist attitude. I'll watch the next two games and the if Merrett gets tagged your confident we will have a plan in place to deal with it?
How is it defeatist ? If you have no midfielders playing then you have no midfielders. Makes it easy for the opposition to pick one off. Even more so when they have a stacked midfield. I am stating to think you have had very limited exposure to coaching.

Indeed. Looking back on it - it seems to have worked beautifully for the board.

Give him 2019 as an assistant to get a head start on his defensive zone and instilling his bloo kolla ethos on the playing group. Then give him 2020 in a role described by senior players as "basically head coach". But then we'll only start counting 2021 and 2022 to save our arses when it backfires.

Next we'll be retconning 2022 because it was a super duper hard draw, we had some injuries, Truck missed a game with COVID, not enough senior leaders - so when you think about it he's only coached about 9.7 games.
Lol, now he started in coaching 2019

He'll be closing in on Sheeds record in a couple of pages

Hardwick didn’t need to change much. He would just re emphasise “kick it to Dusty.” He then had the leadership of Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance and Grimes. Not a bad group to start with.
Sheedy instilled versatility in every team he coached. He never sat still and hoped plan A might work eventually. He always had plan A,B,C and D.

Sheedy didn’t exist in an era of system based football. He might as well have coached a different sport for all the similarities in how the game is played.

Sheedy didn’t exist in an era of system based football. He might as well have coached a different sport for all the similarities in how the game is played.
In 2013 there was no system based football?

3 Wins - 41 Losses

I don’t think system was his thing.
He was coaching an expansion club. And system based football existed at that time. The fact his team was shite isn’t relevant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back