News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, actually it just reads to me as a relatively unemotional stating of 'facts' - at least as much as she has to hand. The story states (and impossible to know how factual it is) that AFL was determined to strip GWS of picks #15 & #37 this year. Which is typical - make a decision on outcome before you've heard any submissions: that's not natural justice. Also states that Matthews has fought hard against any sanctions. Good on him - glad to hear that he has. Also states that AFL is pissed off with him because they're footing GWS' bill. Well blow me down - head office wanting to 'run' how the club acts and holding the purse strings as leverage. Very happy to learn that Matthews is not taking a backwards step though, backed by the board - even if we lose the fight and cop draft pick losses next year. Presumably can't be worse than we would have lost this year, but this way we have 12 months to prepare for them.

Well, actually it just reads to me as a relatively unemotional stating of 'facts' - at least as much as she has to hand. The story states (and impossible to know how factual it is) that AFL was determined to strip GWS of picks #15 & #37 this year. Which is typical - make a decision on outcome before you've heard any submissions: that's not natural justice. Also states that Matthews has fought hard against any sanctions. Good on him - glad to hear that he has. Also states that AFL is pissed off with him because they're footing GWS' bill. Well blow me down - head office wanting to 'run' how the club acts and holding the purse strings as leverage. Very happy to learn that Matthews is not taking a backwards step though, backed by the board - even if we lose the fight and cop draft pick losses next year. Presumably can't be worse than we would have lost this year, but this way we have 12 months to prepare for them.

All true, and we are set to grab two top ten players, plus another not too far off top 10, and sanctions this year would definitely have thrown a spanner in the works. If we receive a penalty for next year's draft, we just have to double our efforts to retain what we have (and not let someone like a Jack Steele leave the club, as an example).

Can we go into debt with next years picks????, that would make it really interesting

Yep, which'll be funny if they're later confiscated. :D

Wouldn't it be the case that the deficit would just come off whatever pick/s we have left after the sanctions?

We also have someone else's pick don't we? They can't strip those because they were traded for, so we'd be losing both the player and the pick we got for them. So if we were to lose the pick we "earn" the deficit would end up coming off the traded pick wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it be the case that the deficit would just come off whatever pick/s we have left after the sanctions?

Probably, but that's less fun.

We also have someone else's pick don't we?

We've got Collingwood and St Kilda's second rounders (and not our own). We don't have a spare first rounder.

They can't strip those because they were traded for, so we'd be losing both the player and the pick we got for them. So if we were to lose the pick we "earn" the deficit would end up coming off the traded pick wouldn't it?

Most likely. We've never seen the result to confirm that but it's probably the case.

That's the best summary I've ever read of the differences between us and the suns. Needless to say, we've covered off most of those points ourselves over the last few years.

One point in particular, we've told the detractors many times that if their clubs had traded players rather than picks we would never have been in a position to stockpile so many early round selections.

Agree this is a good summary - except for the headline. Admittedly journalists rarely write the headine - its the editors job to sell the story. I do not agree that the AFL "botched" expansion. They put the teams in place and the recruiters recruited players and the coaches coached. The Suns were close to playing finals in 2014 before Ablett did his shoukder and the team fell away. They will bounce back as will the Lions. Re: the Giants I've said elswhere I'm glad they did not reach the GF this year. I think this was a great year for them and they'll certainly appreciate a membership bounce next year, hopefully 20k and I expect all 3 Canberra games will be sold out. They are building quite nicely.

Interesting article on GWS' list for 2017 - compares it to the Hawthorn list's age/experience benchmarks across 2013-2015.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-03/giants-set-list-up-to-mirror-hawks-of-201315

GREATER Western Sydney has rocketed into the top three for both average age and games experience as it prepares for a premiership assault in 2017. With lists finalised for next season, the Giants have shed their young and inexperienced image to establish a premiership-winning list profile similar to the Hawks of 2013-15. They have jumped from 17th in 2016 for average age to second (24 years and 219 days), and boosted their average games experience from 57 in 2016 (ranked No.17) to 76 (No.3).

All eyes have been on the Giants' fearsome group of young stars secured with early draft picks and academy concessions, but the club has quietly gone about supporting them with senior talent. When the ball bounces to start the 2017 season, the Giants will have more 30-year-olds than every team bar Fremantle. Only four clubs will have fewer teenagers on their list.

Realistically, we will have no excuses (bar injury) for not winning a flag in the next 3 years IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were one kick from beating the team supported by a bunch of dicks in the prelim without Johnson(3 goal loss) and had to use palmer(3 goal loss).

From the prelim team we have lost Palmer and Patfull(big loss but we have cover) and gained Deledio.

There is no excuse besides simply being beaten on the day next season.

We were one kick from beating the team supported by a bunch of dicks in the prelim without Johnson(3 goal loss) and had to use palmer(3 goal loss).

From the prelim team we have lost Palmer and Patfull(big loss but we have cover) and gained Deledio.

There is no excuse besides simply being beaten on the day next season.
Didn't the great Tobester say at the B&F it's premiership or bust.

Interesting article of StevieJ's decision to go on in 2017.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-22/why-stevie-j-backflipped-on-retirement-plans

Thought this statement interesting:

"So given I'd signed a one-year contract with a view of getting into coaching, I started to wonder what 2017 would look like, and organised to meet with a couple of clubs about coaching in Melbourne which went pretty well."

I had thought he would naturally transition to coaching at the Giants for his first stint.

Interesting article of StevieJ's decision to go on in 2017.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-22/why-stevie-j-backflipped-on-retirement-plans

Thought this statement interesting:

"So given I'd signed a one-year contract with a view of getting into coaching, I started to wonder what 2017 would look like, and organised to meet with a couple of clubs about coaching in Melbourne which went pretty well."

I had thought he would naturally transition to coaching at the Giants for his first stint.
Same, bit of an eye opener

Ditto. Why would you uproot the family interstate for just one year, and then aim to go back? Especially, at that point late in the year you've had a good year. Still, I'd expect that there are a bunch of emotions and issues related to family, playing, regrets, hopes etc all flowing through you're brain when you're considering your future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back