News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Giants return to training after dashed finals dream

Jamie Pandaram, The Daily Telegraph

December 7, 2019 10:56am

It’s 1am on the Sunday before the 2019 AFL grand final.

Stephen Coniglio is furiously running up and down the training field at the GWS Giants’ facilities, begging his injured knee to come good in the darkness.
It’s 4am on the Monday before the decider. Sam Reid is holding his first child, with his wife Elissa giving birth to son Elijah moments earlier.

It’s 5.05pm on September 28 at the MCG. The scoreboard reads Richmond 114 GWS 25.
Utter dejection.
Coniglio never made it onto the field. He gave up the Wednesday before, and watched in his suit.
“Being on the field with Richmond after the game,” Coniglio identifies as the most profound football moment this year.

“I had a couple of close friends play for them, having chats post grand final about their love for each other, even Dusty (Martin) – he wins the Norm Smith Medal then puts it under his top straight away and just has his premiership medal – little things like that you can’t help but admire.
“It makes you envious, not in a bad way, but you just want that for us.”
Reid, the guy who retired for two years, powered through diabetes, lost a shocking amount of weight but fought back to get to a stage he was never supposed to reach, struggled to comprehend how they’d suffered the third-biggest loss in AFL grand final history.
“I was embarrassed and angry after the game,’ Reid said.
“But the effort to get there, you can’t take that away.
[https://cdn]Stephen Coniglio consoles teammates after the heavy grand final defeat.
“My family kept reminding me of just how hard I worked to get there, to overcome the injuries and crap.
“My luck’s got to change, I like to think so anyway. You try to be a good person and good things will happen to you.”
Davis played after passing a last-minute fitness test on the ground moments before kick-off.
But after his rival, Jack Riewoldt, kicked five goals alone in the match, Davis was labelled “a liability” for the Giants by some commentators.
“They don’t know what I did from 8pm the Saturday before to 2pm grand final day, how I felt, anything like that,” Davis said.
“There were certain markers I had to hit, we were very strategic and objective in what I had to do to play, and I felt really good.
“Did I play as well as I wanted to? Probably not. Did I think my body hampered me from doing what I needed to do to be part of a winning team? No.
“I still maintain my decision was the right one. I’m very content with that.”
Giants coach Leon Cameron, having taken the eight-year-old club to its fourth finals series in as many years, knew their first grand final was over by the third quarter as the Tigers romped through his team, also missing co-captain Callan Ward due to injury.
[https://cdn]Grand final defeat was hard to take for Jeremy Cameron.
That’s a lot of time in the coaches’ box to think of what to tell young men whose dreams have been crushed so comprehensively.
“The No. 1 thing is you acknowledge the opposition, ‘Well done’,” Cameron said.
“I was really proud of how our players handled themselves after the game, clearly as flat as all hell, everyone is mortified as though it’s the end of the world.
“It’s not the end of the world.
“We spoke about it for 10 or 15 minutes afterwards and just said we’ve got to learn from the opposition, take some of the good learnings we had through the month of September.
“But I don’t want the players hooked up on one game. Because if you’re hooked up one game, sometimes you never get over it.
“The key message was ‘Boys, we’re not going to be defined by one game. You’re going to be defined by a period of your career’.
“I don’t want our players going up and down like a yo-yo on the basis of win-loss.”
Cameron didn’t need to look far to deal with his own inner turmoil.

“I’ve got a 13-year-old boy, Harry, he keeps me in perspective,” Cameron said.
“He gets disappointed when we don’t win, there’s a little bit of emotion from him, he’s a kid that just loves his footy and loves the Giants.
“But then when things happen, about 10 minutes after we’ve lost, he’s like: ‘Ah well, who can we beat next year?’ ‘When’s the draw come out dad?’ ‘Who have we got first?’
“Kids always have a wonderful ability, even though they don’t know they’re doing it, to bring you back down to Earth.”
Reid, too, knows about the perspective children provide.
“It was unbelievable week aside from the game,” he said.
“Elissa was due on grand final day, the 28th, but she hit 36 weeks just before the finals so we knew she could give birth anytime from then.
“They were close games, she had to turn off, didn’t want to go when I wasn’t there.
“It was 10pm on Sunday after the semi-final, I’d had only two hours sleep the night before so I was heading to bed, Elissa was in the shower and said ‘I think my water’s broken’.
“I thought it must just be the shower water but sure enough, her water had broken. Her mum was up to help and said ‘I’ve just taken half a sleeping tablet’. I told her she was in for a long night then.
“Elijah was born at 3.38am.”
His son is not a driving motivator on grand final day, but every day. As is the backs-against-the-wall nature of being a Giant.
“We’re tough, we cop a lot, we’ve got hard skin on the outside and we take any challenge put at us head on,” Reid said.
“We know people everywhere don’t want us to succeed, but we don’t care.
“We’re out of the spotlight a little bit. We’d just love to stand there on grand final day and say ‘Stuff you’.
“Being here from the start, training on a baseball field, how united we were as a whole club and how tough everyone is, those are the two words to describe us; tough, and united.”
And so begins 2020. The campaign to go one better than this year, starting with the round one zinger against Geelong on March 21 at Giants Stadium.
The marker of new beginnings was laid down three weeks ago at an outdoor dinner at the Hudson Ranch, overlooking the rolling hills of California’s Napa Valley.

Team members and coaching staff were quaffing the winery’s “Old Master” 2016 cabernet franc, awaiting their main course, when Davis and Ward rose and clinked on their glasses.
The inaugural co-captains of the Giants were honoured to have held the title, enjoyed every minute, but now the time was right for Coniglio to take over as their sole leader.
“I called mum and dad straight after, told them I was going to be captain,’ Coniglio said.
“They’ve been there through a lot so that moment afterwards, calling them, was a very special moment for me and my family.”
The wider team was officially told on their first day back to training last Monday.
And they did discuss the grand final for 10 minutes in a closed meeting.
“It’s not a taboo subject,” Davis said.
“There are no scars here.
“But we should have done better for the fans. That’s one thing I’ve reflected on. Fans will always say ‘We’re proud of you’, but there’s a responsibility we have to our fans, and what we did in the last three quarters didn’t marry up to what I would have liked to have given them.
“The momentum of sport can get you.
“The thing that’s most disappointing is the margin in the end; that hurts me quite a bit.
“I understand Richmond were the better team. But I don’t think they were that much better than us.
“Leon addressed it straight away in the dressing room, he just said: ‘Today wasn’t good enough, however let’s not detract from the year we’ve had and the steps we took forward’. It was spot on.

“As soon as you say ‘We’ve got to get better’, in that moment I feel like it changes the trajectory of what you’re dealing with.
“Since 2016 we’ve expected to be successful. Unfortunately we haven’t had the greatest success yet, winning a premiership, but we’ve won a lot of games in the past five years.
“It was an extremely successful season bar the last three quarters, that’s how I view it.
“I feel rejuvenated and refreshed, ready to chase one more win when it matters.”
Coniglio told friends during grand final week: “I’m going to miss out on a flag here”.
Immediately after the semi-final win, he flew back with his teammates.
“I reckon we got back to Sydney about 11pm, I called up a good friend of mine and said ‘Let’s work out’,” Coniglio said.
“So we came here and worked out til about 1.30am, and I just said ‘I need to play’.
“I needed to train on the Wednesday, Leon left it up to me, I was probably a week or two short, I didn’t think I was physically capable of contributing enough to winning a game.”
Now under Coniglio, winning ‘that’ game is the Giants’ unequivocal mission.
“There aren’t too many things to change, we’re a good club, it’s about where’s that five to 10 per cent that we’re missing out on, that’s the big question we’ve got to ask ourselves,” Coniglio said.

“I want to win. I just want success.
“We’ve come close so many times.
“We’ve got to a stage where we’re winning the majority of games, but we still haven’t won anything. That really burns, and motivates you to get better as an individual and as a team.
“As a leader, wanting to have those tougher conversations or responsibilities to make an impact, that’s where I’m at now.
“We’re blessed to have established a really good culture. I want us to be great, we’re not great yet.
“Until we’re holding up that silverware – we’re judged on winning, and that’s what I’ll be asking my players to do.”
As much as the grand final won’t haunt his players, Cameron said it also gives them no edge over their 17 rivals next season.
“We’re not entitled to that grand final spot next year, no one is,” Cameron said.
“We all start on zero.
“And we, the Giants, clearly need to make up a bit of ground to compete with some of these fantastic teams we’re playing against.
“If I was sitting here having won two flags, that means we’ve ended up on top.
“We haven’t ended up on top – yet.”

I think there is a herald sun article saying one of our free agents has re-signed... can anyone access it?

Whitfield signature imminent

GWS star Lachie Whitfield set to ignore free agency to become latest Giant to re-sign
One of GWS’ trio of star free agents is poised to be off the market, with Lachie Whitfield expected to announce on Monday he has inked a new deal with the Giants.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

Greater Western Sydney’s stunning spate of contract extensions will continue on Monday, with Lachie Whitfield on the verge of signing a new long-term deal at the club.

The Giants will confirm one of their three 2020 free agents has signed a new long-term deal, after already locking away stars including Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto and new captain Stephen Coniglio this year.

The club has handed offers to 2020 free agents Whitfield, Zac Williams and Jeremy Cameron.
But Williams is not yet prepared to negotiate a new deal despite telling the Herald Sun during finals he was determined to remain with the club long-term.

The Herald Sun reported last month Victorian free agent Cameron would re-sign despite clubs including Geelong attempting to lure him home at the end of next year.
A new long-term deal this early in the summer for Whitfield would be a massive coup for the Giants given his brilliance for Leon Cameron’s side.
The wingman missed the preliminary final after having his appendix removed and while he returned for the Grand Final battled to have an affect and clearly looked in pain.

More in the link above

Whitfield signature imminent

GWS star Lachie Whitfield set to ignore free agency to become latest Giant to re-sign
One of GWS’ trio of star free agents is poised to be off the market, with Lachie Whitfield expected to announce on Monday he has inked a new deal with the Giants.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

Greater Western Sydney’s stunning spate of contract extensions will continue on Monday, with Lachie Whitfield on the verge of signing a new long-term deal at the club.

The Giants will confirm one of their three 2020 free agents has signed a new long-term deal, after already locking away stars including Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto and new captain Stephen Coniglio this year.

The club has handed offers to 2020 free agents Whitfield, Zac Williams and Jeremy Cameron.
But Williams is not yet prepared to negotiate a new deal despite telling the Herald Sun during finals he was determined to remain with the club long-term.

The Herald Sun reported last month Victorian free agent Cameron would re-sign despite clubs including Geelong attempting to lure him home at the end of next year.
A new long-term deal this early in the summer for Whitfield would be a massive coup for the Giants given his brilliance for Leon Cameron’s side.
The wingman missed the preliminary final after having his appendix removed and while he returned for the Grand Final battled to have an affect and clearly looked in pain.

More in the link above
Love and hate the articles. Need something official.

This Daily Telegraph P. Rothfield 23.9 article was behind a paywall- just been able now to discover & open it.

Re Prelim Finals' Ratings Total AFL Sat. 1,431,000 Total NRL Sat. 895,000
Fri. night AFL Final outrated NRL Final by c. 700,000
Both NRL Finals started at 7.50 pm Fri. & Sat.- both Prime Time; but GWS v. Collingwood started Sat. 4.35 pm Poor Time for Ratings.

P. Rothfield wrote

" The AFL has scored a knockout win over Rugby League in Finals TV ratings from the weekend...1.2 million more viewers than the NRL playoffs...The figures are a concern for the NRL's planning for the next TV Broadcast deal...The Giants have been in the AFL for only eight years (my emphases- & possibly Rothfield's most significant comment)...".

(then go to 22.9.19 tweet " How AFL Nobodies Took Down NRL Blockbuster"

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one almost slipped under my radar ...

It is sometimes easy to forget how young the 2018 Rising Star nominee is – he says Nick Haynes has dubbed him the “oldest young player going around” – but with just two seasons under his belt, he is already a rusted-on member of the GIANTS’ back six. For the first time since he joined the club, he says hasn’t had any niggles to worry about over summer, and his excitement and optimism is palpable – he grins and taps out an excited beat on the table as he talks about how things are tracking.

He likes to think of his place in the group as being on a spectrum. In terms of his preparation leading into a game, he’s “in between ‘Shawry’ and Phil – I like to look at stuff (to prepare), but also I remain calm and chill.” In terms of his style, he says he sits somewhere between Davis and Haynes. “I like to think I’m in between Haynes and Phil, because Phil locks down, beats his man, and obviously takes marks, but Haynes intercepts and just reads the play really well,” Taylor said. “I like to be in between them, but also be versatile and play on talls, smalls, up and deep on the pitch.”

:rainbow:

Hey Giants!

Not sure where this post should go - mods please feel free to move accordingly.

We're doing a series on the other teams in the competition by comparison to see where we stack up.

It's good to step out of the Carlton bubble every once in a while.

Hope you enjoy

Good luck for a big 2020!

Hey Giants!

We're doing a series on the other teams in the competition by comparison to see where we stack up.

Hope you enjoy

Good listen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey Giants!

Hope you enjoy

Made the mistake of clicking on one of your player preview videos (Matthew Kennedy) just to see how the ex-giant was travelling.

Bad move

Bad bad move

Huge mistake.

The YouTube algorithm kicked in and my “recommendeds” was chock full of f***ing Carlton videos for weeks. I’ve only just got rid of them, not sure I want to trip the algorithm again by watching this one 😜

BTW, I thought the MK vid was pretty good - just hate the f***ing Algorithm.

Last edited:
Made the mistake of clicking on one of your player preview videos (Matthew Kennedy) just to see how the ex-giant was travelling.

Bad move

Bad bad move

Huge mistake.

The YouTube algorithm kicked in and my “recommendeds” was chock full of f***ing Carlton videos for weeks. I’ve only just got rid of them, not sure I want to trip the algorithm again by watching this one 😜

You've been infiltrated haha!

Bad move

Bad bad move

Huge mistake.

Go to Youtube -> Google account settings -> Data & personalisation -> Activity controls - then turn off "Youtube history" (or just use this link, if it works: https://myaccount.google.com/u/1/activitycontrols?hl=en)

Or just go into your Youtube history and delete that Carlton vid, haha.

Interesting article

How Eddie McGuire and Amazon could shake up the AFL on TV

The AFL's television landscape is set for a shake-up after global streaming giant Amazon agreed to a $10 million deal with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire’s media company.

Football industry sources have confirmed to The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald that Amazon is purchasing the rights for a series of football club documentaries, to be produced by Jam TV – the television arm of McGuire Media – and shown on Amazon Prime in Australia.

Collingwood and Sydney are among the clubs approached to feature in the series, but the project hit an early snag when the football department of McGuire's own club, the Magpies, indicated they were not keen on taking part.

Lance Franklin is a player of high interest to Amazon for the series.
Lance Franklin is a player of high interest to Amazon for the series.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Swans superstar Lance Franklin is high on Amazon's wish list for a series that would include in-depth interviews across the course of a season with key players and officials at selected clubs.
Advertisement

The deal, which has been in the pipeline for months, initially angered subscription rights-holder Foxtel, who demanded a meeting with AFL executives. Fox Footy, which employs McGuire as a host and commentator and paid $1.3 billion over six years for a share of the broadcast rights, felt it had been sidelined by the deal.

The emergence of Amazon – ranked the second biggest company in the world by market capitalisation – comes after AFL boss Gillon McLachlan last year led a team of executives to meet tech giants in the US. The league's current broadcast deal with Channel Seven, Foxtel and Telstra, worth $2.508 billion, expires in 2022.

Amazon’s documentaries will see six people from each club interviewed over the course of a entire season.

The six club figures will be the senior coach, president, chief executive, a senior player, a player in the middle of his career and a junior player.

Sydney are one of several clubs who have shown interest, including Richmond, Carlton, West Coast, Gold Coast and GWS.

Port Adelaide and Geelong have also asked to hear more about the idea.

"We would absolutely welcome that," GWS coach Leon Cameron told 3AW.

"We know we are a young club growing in western Sydney. We’re trying to grow the game and win games on the weekend and we think we’re doing that really, really well. To have someone like that come along and showcase the football club in its raw detail I think would be absolutely unreal.

"The more and more we can bring people into our football club and let them know what we are doing, the better off I think we’d be.''

Amazon would like six clubs to partake in the project.

The AFL confirmed on Monday that a number of documentary-style mini-series are in the works.

“We’re still in discussion with Amazon,” an AFL spokesman said.

Amazon’s first foray into Australian rules can only be a positive for the AFL, with broadcast negotiations around the corner.

Television rights money accounts for more than 65 per cent of the AFL’s revenue and underpins the financial future of the game.

It also plays a significant role in the collective bargaining agreement negotiated between the league and its players for wages.

As revealed by The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald this month, the AFL Players Association has also gauged the mood with some of its members over a joint CBA between the AFL and the AFLW, which could see men dip into their own pockets to subsidise the women.

Amazon has already done something similar in cricket, after filming the Australian cricket team during the dramatic 2019 recent Ashes tour and turning it into a documentary.

Collingwood’s documentary last year (Side by Side) and Melbourne’s this year (To Hell and Back) have both been well received by fans and have rated strongly on digital platforms.

As an aside Haynes also has a Documentary about the Giants coming up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back