Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillipou was a bit of a loose cannon before the draft as far as confidence and ego went .

Think it was draft night when Phillipou made the remark to Dodoro. Some called it a bit of banter . Others called it him being a dick .
Time will tell whether we made the right choice I guess.

Time will tell whether we made the right choice I guess.

Isn’t it already a good decision by virtue of how good Langford is as a lead up medium forward?

How could you possibly play and get the most out of Langford, Perkins and Phillipou in the same side?

One of the main (completely valid) criticisms of the Dodoro list build is that all the pieces look great individually but make no sense when you put them together.

Also, and I cannot state this enough times, Phillipou is a Cypriot surname.

Last edited:

I remember the time people said Nick Daicos was a dick because he carried on about only being bid on at 4.

Hell, I remember the time AFL recruiters were scared off Jack Darling and Charlie Curnow, too.

There is a high quality operation happening within AFL assessing the psychology of players.

Last edited:
Hell, I remember the time AFL recruiters were scared off Jack Darling and Charlie Curnow, too.

There is a high quality operation happening within AFL working assessing the psychology of players.

I don’t think Curnow dislocating his knee, not doing anything in his top age year and then getting arrested the week before the draft is necessarily the psy-op you think it is.

Last edited:

There is a high quality operation happening within AFL working assessing the psychology of players.
Did they spread the word that Darling has a pea heart, springboard chest and gets dropped by anything sterner than a stiff breeze?

marge GIF

Phillipou was a bit of a loose cannon before the draft as far as confidence and ego went .

Think it was draft night when Phillipou made the remark to Dodoro. Some called it a bit of banter . Others called it him being a dick .
Club were also not big fans of the Dad as I understand it.

Essington itself is Josh Mahoney ("moving on") leaving and then going to a much better position at AFL house.

Only we could do as such dumb s**t to itself

they thought he was a bit of a dick. Can’t remember what he said exactly but it was something along the lines that Philipou had reached out to the club after we did not pick him up to let us know that he was going to make us pay when he played us!
he sounds like a massive dick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t remember what he said exactly but it was something along the lines that Philipou had reached out to the club after we did not pick him up to let us know that he was going to make us pay when he played us!
Cyril Rioli's actions spoke louder than words 😥

Club were also not big fans of the Dad as I understand it.
Didn't fit the mould of 'comes from a good family' that is apparently the #1 consideration for recruitment at Essendon? All this talk of his arrogance only makes me like him more. Seriously we're recruiting players to win games of football, not youth pastors. I've said it before, this club needs more dickheads and less private school captains from 'good families'. I mean seriously pretty much everyone who played with or against Michael Jordan is on record saying that he was a massive dick. Competitive to a fault, arrogant, trash talking, hard on his teammates and mouthy as f** to his opponents. Would not get a look in from Essendon's recruiting department.

Didn't fit the mould of 'comes from a good family' that is apparently the #1 consideration for recruitment at Essendon? All this talk of his arrogance only makes me like him more. Seriously we're recruiting players to win games of football, not youth pastors. I've said it before, this club needs more dickheads and less private school captains from 'good families'. I mean seriously pretty much everyone who played with or against Michael Jordan is on record saying that he was a massive dick. Competitive to a fault, arrogant, trash talking, hard on his teammates and mouthy as f** to his opponents. Would not get a look in from Essendon's recruiting department.
I don’t disagree.

This probably links up to my theory that somewhere along the line we totally lost our way in terms of understanding what makes a successful modern footballer. Maybe that applies to the psychological as well as physical components.

Am I naive to think this news means he left because he had already been tapped on shoulder by AFL rather than Dodoro "winning"?

Essendon congratulates Mahoney on AFL role​

Josh Mahoney lands senior role at AFL House.

Essendon Football Club congratulates Josh Mahoney on his appointment as GM of Football Operations at the AFL.

Mahoney joined Essendon at the end of 2020 as Executive General Manager, Football leading both of the club's AFL and AFLW programs.

Mahoney stepped down from his role at the end of the 2023 AFL Season.

Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo congratulated Mahoney on his appointment and wished him and his family the most success at the AFL.

“Josh is a terrific football person who will bring broad ranging experience and skill in his new role at the AFL,” Vozzo said.

“It is a great appointment for the AFL industry, and we look forward to working with Josh into the future.

“We extend our congratulations to Josh and his family and wish him the very best in his new role.”

Essendon is working through the leadership structure for its Football Department. As an interim arrangement, GM of Performance Daniel McPherson will assist Senior Coach Brad Scott in leading the operations of the club's AFL program and Aysha Ward will continue in her role Essendon's AFLW Operations Manager.

Don’t think ratten wants to be in coaching anymore
There was a line in one of the articles that quotes him as saying he still wants to be in football so maybe that is more a GM role . Flip side of that is the reason the Saints moved him on was he did not drive good enough standard’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back