Expansion Gold Coast going past many other clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Ok there has been a few wins against them already, however, this one was different. Gold Coast with two on the bench where headed .... and then went on to smash them for 10 min.

I admit the headline is a bit of a troll, but I'm not just picking on Richmond here. I am also putting Essendon, North, Carlton, Port and all those teams who think they're building something towards challenging. Obviously they're leaving Melbourne, Brisbane and St Kilda in the dust.

What makes it worse is that Hawthorn, Freo and probably still Sydney are a long way ahead of everyone so the teams I mentioned earlier are probably playing for one spot in a prelim. While I think Gold Coast wont be able to keep it together for the whole season they'll definitely make finals and next year probably be flag favourites. GWS are going to be better than them, just a year behind them.

We can all remember what it was like with Brisbane having been given a massive free kick by the AFL with COLA + getting to pick away at Fitzroy. They dominated for four years and because of the domination players were prepared to stick around and play under market value so the competition never evened up. We'll have a one two punch like that now which will last for even longer.

As a supporter of a team other than Hawthorn, Freo, Sydney, GCS and GWS I think we can forget about winning a flag for the next 7 or 8 years. The only thing that may stop that is free agency. It will be easier to pick apart their lists.

Gold Coast and GWS won't make top 4 until 2016.
A season is 22 rounds not 1.

Saying that, when they do make top 4, they'll both probably dominate for 4 or 5 years - especially GWS.

The AFL states that clubs agreed to it but Andy D's legacy on the game will be that fans/crowds/TV ratings will drop off during that period all because of the decisions, draft picks, zone rules and concessions made during his reign. Bookmark it.

They beat us by 18 on their home turf so maybe, maybe not. They will go past everyone very soon though. It'll be a really sad day when they win the flag.

Losing to the Gold Coast in 2014 isn't the same embarrassment it was in the past though. I've tipped them to come sixth this year and will win plenty of games at home.

Gold Coast and GWS won't make top 4 until 2016.
A season is 22 rounds not 1.

Saying that, when they do make top 4, they'll both probably dominate for 4 or 5 years - especially GWS.

The AFL states that clubs agreed to it but Andy D's legacy on the game will be that fans/crowds/TV ratings will drop off during that period all because of the decisions, draft picks, zone rules and concessions made during his reign. Bookmark it.

100% agree. The other part of that legacy will be the lost revenue in that time after blowing all the cash to get them going. The AFL did it the wrong way. Should have reduced the league to 12 teams to increase the standard and poured money into state league footy as a grass roots way of spreading footy and developing more kids in all states of Australia.

100% agree. The other part of that legacy will be the lost revenue in that time after blowing all the cash to get them going. The AFL did it the wrong way. Should have reduced the league to 12 teams to increase the standard and poured money into state league footy as a grass roots way of spreading footy and developing more kids in all states of Australia.

I don't think I'd have to hazard too wild a guess as to which which Victorian teams would have and which would stayed in your scenario. Amusing really give ... everything.

Gold Coast at Metricon were a tough proposition last year. They always were going to be.

Their list has already been picked at and will be picked at further.

I think GWS are the scarier prospect.

Richmond always lose to GC and now they're passing everyone because it's happened again?

Please, their kids are still to young and raw to compete in the finals and without Ablett they wouldn't win half their games.

Get off the bandwagon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I'd have to hazard too wild a guess as to which which Victorian teams would have and which would stayed in your scenario. Amusing really give ... everything.

Gold Coast at Metricon were a tough proposition last year. They always were going to be.

Their list has already been picked at and will be picked at further.

I think GWS are the scarier prospect.
GWS are the scarier prospect long term for sure. Monster KPFs ... AND J. CAMERON! Plus they're just tougher than GCS. I think Gold Coast will play some attractive "total football" but GWS will win more finals.

GWS are the scarier prospect long term for sure. Monster KPFs ... AND J. CAMERON! Plus they're just tougher than GCS. I think Gold Coast will play some attractive "total football" but GWS will win more finals.

GWS are also being picked at. One of Cameron/Patton/Boyd will come back to Vic.'

I simply don't buy the "inevitablity" argument on GC/GWS.

Sore loser, much?

Sure that is some scary collection of high pedigree players but it doesn't mean everything.
Freo's 22 last night has 16 players that came off a rookie list, straight from the state leagues or were picked above 50 in the draft.

And Melbourne and Carlton have had huge access to high draft picks etc etc.

Sore loser, much?

Not that I care, but if you think so, yeah.

The irony is that when Melbourne's rebuild will start bearing fruit in 4 to 5 years GWS and GC will be dominating and a
premiership will be beyond reach, or should I say further beyond reach.

I'm betting then you'll be a sore loser yourself.

look at both GCS and GWS! they both get an extra "priority pick" in the Draft this year again! they'll both be smashing sides week in, week out in 3 years time. they are guarenteed success by the AFL.

look at both GCS and GWS! they both get an extra "priority pick" in the Draft this year again! they'll both be smashing sides week in, week out in 3 years time. they are guarenteed success by the AFL.
GWS might be smashing sides in 3 years time but i doubt GC will. By the time they come good if ever Ablett will be slowing down and almost out the door and he cant be replaced. You take Ablett out of that side and they would be lucky to win half the games they win

Sure that is some scary collection of high pedigree players but it doesn't mean everything.
Freo's 22 last night has 16 players that came off a rookie list, straight from the state leagues or were picked above 50 in the draft.

Came in here to post the same thing, you'll always be a chance of contending with astute drafting, particularly nailing late draft and rookie picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back