Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Any recommendations on where to get lessons in Melbourne? I am a 25 handicapper and have never had them before, and how long would you recommend for someone that has never had lessons, is 30 minutes enough time?
My personal view is that if possible you should try to get lessons at a golf course. That way you can have playing lessons with the pro and learn how to play the game - as opposed to "grooving a swing".

If you are starting out you'll need at least an hour for each of the initial lessons.

And you need to clear out 2 hours in the diary afterwards to work on what you've been taught. It's amazing how many people you see that have a lesson, finish the last handful of balls in the bucket then jump in the car and go home. What's the point?

One piece of advice I got from my pro, which is a bit different to what I'd been told by another instructor. Previously I'd been taught to get my body/head forward through the swing and almost "look back at the ball" at impact, whereas I'm now trying to keep my head behind ball.

Do people here try and keep their head/eyes behind the ball at impact, or get ahead of the ball at impact?

View attachment 1043296
Head behind ball at impact
Definitely have your head behind the ball at impact. Draw a line straight up from that ball and it would sit pretty close to your left ear at set up and also at impact. Ball closer to lead shoulder though at setup with driver though as it is more forward in stance.

A little tip I was given a long time ago was to look at about 5/4 o'clock...if you imagine the ball looking like a clock face (but almost look at the lower part of the ball), and hit through that line to 10/11 o'clock if you want to draw the ball.

Last edited:
Definitely have your head behind the ball at impact. Draw a line straight up from that ball and it would sit pretty close to your left ear at set up and also at impact. Ball closer to lead shoulder though at setup with driver though as it is more forward in stance.

A little tip I was given a long time ago was to look at about 5/4 o'clock...if you imagine the ball looking like a clock face (but almost look at the lower part of the ball), and hit through that line to 10/11 o'clock if you want to draw the ball.
I reckon this subtle change will make a big difference based on my lesson session. I am surprised it wasn't highlighted sooner but I guess something I was doing was compensating it.

I reckon this subtle change will make a big difference based on my lesson session. I am surprised it wasn't highlighted sooner but I guess something I was doing was compensating it.
You maybe just developed it lately. It was addressed in my last lesson too. Went through the rebuild with that being a problem. Mine was at address though...so I was trying to get gack behind the ball for impact. I couldn't see a pro during lockdown and when I videoed myself I could only do it with camera looking at my target...or from across my pool which was to far away and you couldn't really tell, needed my camera front on to see but my hedge makes that impossible......and then you have to know the correct set up to identify it too.

+1 for head/eyes behind ball. Maybe less so for wedges, but all distances kind of shrink for wedges anyway for me, feet closer, ball closer, swing tighter.

The two best moves/thoughts for me personally; right (trail foot) down during impact and club staying out in front (almost in a straight line with arms parallel to the ground) in follow through. One drill I had for that was normal swing speed but halt the follow through at parallel to make sure it was out in front.
Ps sorry for anyone reading about a hack like me and I apologise if this disrupts your swing.

Have tracked down a teaching pro now, going to get myself sorted.

according to him, just in time, because I’ll likely be getting stuck into bad habits soon with how much I’m playing v my scores

An open question.

Has anyone on here had a lesson on anything relating to the short game in 2020/2021 rather than ScrappyCoCo?

Just looking to confirm my untested assumption that 99% of golf lessons performed relate solely to full swing mechanics.
No, but chatting to my pro about how to lower my score, his comment was 'just keep practicing your short game'. So although not a lesson, it was a directive.

I finally had a short game lesson this morning. Most of it wasn't that hard to pick up, but I was doing a hell of a lot wrong around the greens and in bunkers, this Im hoping with some practice will make a huge difference to my scores.

In regards to putting, apparantly my technique is now solid and repeatable enough that its just practice 1000 putts on greens over time to learn speed and break, etc.

I finally had a short game lesson this morning. Most of it wasn't that hard to pick up, but I was doing a hell of a lot wrong around the greens and in bunkers, this Im hoping with some practice will make a huge difference to my scores.

In regards to putting, apparantly my technique is now solid and repeatable enough that its just practice 1000 putts on greens over time to learn speed and break, etc.

What do you normally chip with?

What do you normally chip with?
Depends if its flat and I can just bump and roll or if I need to pop and carry an uphill lie or a bunker or something, either an 8 iron or a 54 or 60, but yeh it can vary.

My lesson showed me I can make it work with either, but the main takeaway was get it on the green and rolling out as soon as possible is the safest option, so only flop it if needed.

Depends if its flat and I can just bump and roll or if I need to pop and carry an uphill lie or a bunker or something, either an 8 iron or a 54 or 60, but yeh it can vary.

My lesson showed me I can make it work with either, but the main takeaway was get it on the green and rolling out as soon as possible is the safest option, so only flop it if needed.

That's interesting, I've heard advice of using only one club for chipping all the time and I've heard advice of using all wedges for chipping. I guess if you can hit all wedges well then you can pick and choose based on how much green there is to work with and how much roll out you want.

In terms of the bump and roll, I've switched over to using the hybrid as it's basically impossible to chunk which can happen with irons.

I had a lesson recently as well and the pro said if you can master your short game swing then it will benefit every other club in the bag, as it helps you learn rhythm/tempo and how to control the bottom point of the swing.

That's interesting, I've heard advice of using only one club for chipping all the time and I've heard advice of using all wedges for chipping. I guess if you can hit all wedges well then you can pick and choose based on how much green there is to work with and how much roll out you want.

In terms of the bump and roll, I've switched over to using the hybrid as it's basically impossible to chunk which can happen with irons.

I had a lesson recently as well and the pro said if you can master your short game swing then it will benefit every other club in the bag, as it helps you learn rhythm/tempo and how to control the bottom point of the swing.
That was one of the keys too, letting the club momentum and loft do the work and ensuring contact is made at the right point, then played around with forward stance, back of stance just to show how it all effects trajectory, etc.

It was a great intro but probably need another one after some practice of it to fix any mistakes il likely make with the technique.

Unfortunately I've picked up a bit of an abdominal strain/pain that I'm hoping is not a hernia since the lesson so might not be able to practice for a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched a guy have a putting lesson with Craig Spence at Albert Park last night.

Without a word of a lie within 3 minutes of the lesson being completed he was in his car out of there. How do people expect to improve?
Hard to judge lol, for all you know he was going home to feed his kids and then was then straight back to the greens ;)

I think the general consensus on learning a skill too is that 10 minutes a day is better than one hour once a week.

Watched a guy have a putting lesson with Craig Spence at Albert Park last night.

Without a word of a lie within 3 minutes of the lesson being completed he was in his car out of there. How do people expect to improve?
Did he stand in his car roof and try to putt down the windscreen?

I was having a hit at the range and some middle aged bloke was hitting next to me. He was not a big bloke. Got his driver out and hit 20 to 30 balls probably 220 plus with maybe a 5m metre draw at the most. Balls would have all landed about 5 to 10m away from each other. Up the guts. * he was good and in control.

Last edited:
I was having a hit at the range and some middle aged bloke was hitting next to me. He was not a big bloke. Got his driver out and hit 20 to 30 balls probably 220 plus with maybe a 5m metre draw at the most. Balls would have all landed about 5 to 10m away from each other. Up the guts. fu** he was good and in control.
Often I would go to Drummond (I think it was) in the city on a lunch break and look at clubs etc.

I recall one day a guy was hitting on the simulator, tie still on, absolutely flushing balls. He had that real ‘wow’ factor about him. I was with a mate who is a scratch golfer who was equally impressed.

Personally, I had a hit after hours this week where I unintentionally overhauled my swing. Now I’m deep in no mans land, like Batman in the bane movie trying to escape the cave jail with no direction or plan.

It did create way more lag and club head speed and I hit them relatively well, so who knows maybe new me.

Often I would go to Drummond (I think it was) in the city on a lunch break and look at clubs etc.

I recall one day a guy was hitting on the simulator, tie still on, absolutely flushing balls. He had that real ‘wow’ factor about him. I was with a mate who is a scratch golfer who was equally impressed.

Personally, I had a hit after hours this week where I unintentionally overhauled my swing. Now I’m deep in no mans land, like Batman in the bane movie trying to escape the cave jail with no direction or plan.

It did create way more lag and club head speed and I hit them relatively well, so who knows maybe new me.

What did you change to get more lag and speed?

I know how you feel, this bloke ScrappyCoCo destroyed my swing trying to get me to hit down on the ball instead of my patented flip move :p

Only joking Scrapp…. In all seriousness, I do flip the club at impact in an effort to make good contact. It "works" to a degree with shorter irons, it results in a really high loopy quick stopping ball flight which is okay on short approach shots, but once you get into the 7iron and longer clubs, it's just costing distance. Ultimately it's my safety swing when things aren't going well and when I'd completely lost my swing it enabled me to get back to something that looked like a reasonable iron swing, but I know in future I need to work on my impact to compress irons if I ever want to be a low handicapper.

Anyone else struggle with the flip and not great at making a downward strike and compressing irons?

Apart from the occasional hook and slice, I'm actually pretty happy with where my driver swing is at. It's been pretty playable recently except for the odd one which will be lost, but that's less common than it used to be.

What did you change to get more lag and speed?
Hard to describe, but starting the transition to downswing before I reach the top of the backswing and letting the wrists utensil on the way down.

Previously I would almost pause at the top in ready mode but ultimately I’d end up casting unintentionally.

I’ve found this little move has generated more club head speed for less effort.

I've made huge improvements in consistency of strike and shot shape, the shot is now predictable and I rarely stone cold top it or shank it anymore. Problem is its either a straight or slight fade (the good ones) or push, big fade and big slice as the clubs get longer (the bad ones).

I'm hoping that with a consistent fault it's a consistent fix, it's either my path coming too out to in or I'm not squaring the face at impact, I just haven't been able to work out which.
I have tried the YouTube fix of a stronger grip but it hasn't helped.

I've made huge improvements in consistency of strike and shot shape, the shot is now predictable and I rarely stone cold top it or shank it anymore. Problem is its either a straight or slight fade (the good ones) or push, big fade and big slice as the clubs get longer (the bad ones).

I'm hoping that with a consistent fault it's a consistent fix, it's either my path coming too out to in or I'm not squaring the face at impact, I just haven't been able to work out which.
I have tried the YouTube fix of a stronger grip but it hasn't helped.
Have a go at accepting that shape. Tee up on the right side of the tee box, aim up the left. A straight one will be up, the left, if the fade comes on then you’re in the middle/right side.
Nicklaus hit a fade and he’s the best ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back