Golf Golf technique

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Haha fair enough! Yep most of the local publics in my general area are relatively tight. I do remember playing Portsea once and thinking I could never miss a fairway because you've got 100m of green carpet to work with. Obviously heaps of other challenges there though.
It's a very real thing.

For example here's one of the fairways at Latrobe GC (as claustrophobic course as exists in Vic):

1618965058242.png

Compare that driving experience to say the 18th at National Gunnamatta:

1618965106191.png

I'd argue you are more likely to put a stronger, more confident swing on the Driver on the second hole rather than the first and that your accuracy will likely improve as a result.

PaddyMcClunkin

All Australian
May 31, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a very real thing.

For example here's one of the fairways at Latrobe GC (as claustrophobic course as exists in Vic):

View attachment 1107876

View attachment 1107877

I'd argue you are more likely to put a stronger, more confident swing on the Driver on the second hole rather than the first and that your accuracy will likely improve as a result.
Hey!!

I've missed the 18th fairway many times thank you very much.

By the way that looks pre renovation if I'm not mistaken. The fairway is now even wider!

Niko_52

Senior List
Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne City
It's a very real thing.

View attachment 1107876

View attachment 1107877

Am a member at Latrobe. If you're having a bad day off the tee it makes you hate the game. Very tight fairways but also quite rewarding if you hit in the right spots

It's a very real thing.

View attachment 1107876

View attachment 1107877

Hey!!

I've missed the 18th fairway many times thank you very much.

By the way that looks pre renovation if I'm not mistaken. The fairway is now even wider!

Yep thats the Ocean course. Fairway was bloody hard off the tee then

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Haha fair enough! Yep most of the local publics in my general area are relatively tight. I do remember playing Portsea once and thinking I could never miss a fairway because you've got 100m of green carpet to work with. Obviously heaps of other challenges there though.
Played Portsea last year, managed to miss plenty of fairways.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It's a very real thing.

View attachment 1107876

View attachment 1107877

These pictures are the perfect example of that point*

*Heavy winds aside.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
These pictures are the perfect example of that point*

*Heavy winds aside.
You were saying you spend a bit of time in the trees...play safely, just get it back on the fairway. Someone in the other thread made suggestions about practicing the low punch (bicco I think). It might be worth in your next lesson to spend a bit of time with your pro showing you how to execute it so you can reliably punch a 5 or 4 iron 100m plus almost along the ground and straight. Very handy shot to have in your bag and will definitely help get your scores down further imo.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
You were saying you spend a bit of time in the trees...play safely, just get it back on the fairway. Someone in the other thread made suggestions about practicing the low punch (bicco I think). It might be worth in your next lesson to spend a bit of time with your pro showing you how to execute it so you can reliably punch a 5 or 4 iron 100m plus almost along the ground and straight. Very handy shot to have in your bag and will definitely help get your scores down further imo.
I've never had a lesson in my life, so i would have no clue.

Does anyone have lessons for when things go wrong? Like playing a low shot for a shot out of the trees? Or if the ball lands in longer rough or on a sandy or bare lie?

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I've never had a lesson in my life, so i would have no clue.

Does anyone have lessons for when things go wrong? Like playing a low shot for a shot out of the trees? Or if the ball lands in longer rough or on a sandy or bare lie?
I doubt it...most lessons are on the full swing. Short game would be 5% tops (and this would shave strokes off a round quickest). My suggestion would be 10 minutes of a 30 minute lesson I would guess.

Pros love this sort of thing too...it's a bit different for them from my experience. Shows you are addressing all areas of the game.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I doubt it...most lessons are on the full swing. Short game would be 5% tops (and this would shave strokes off a round quickest). My suggestion would be 10 minutes of a 30 minute lesson I would guess.

Pros love this sort of thing too...it's a bit different for them from my experience. Shows you are addressing all areas of the game.
Interesting as probably a quarter of irons i hit i am trying to keep low, either to get out trouble or trying to keep underneath overhanging branches where I'm also trying to get a decent distance out of it

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting as probably a quarter of irons i hit i am trying to keep low, either to get out trouble or trying to keep underneath overhanging branches where I'm also trying to get a decent distance out of it
Most golfers are going to hit plenty from trouble.

The real high end players (also kids trying to make it as pros) would get help with all these shots. Flop shots, uneven lies, high ball/low ball, shot shaping so on, most average punters never would take time to find out how to do it properly.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Most golfers are going to hit plenty from trouble.

The real high end players (also kids trying to make it as pros) would get help with all these shots. Flop shots, uneven lies, high ball/low ball, shot shaping so on, most average punters never would take time to find out how to do it properly.
The worse you are the more likely you will need these recovery shots. I would normally only hit 6 or 7 fairways a round plus maybe another 2-4 just in the rough and no to hard to get out of.
That still leaves maybe somewhere between 3-6 shots a round where i am hitting some type of recovery shot

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The worse you are the more likely you will need these recovery shots. I would normally only hit 6 or 7 fairways a round plus maybe another 2-4 just in the rough and no to hard to get out of.
That still leaves maybe somewhere between 3-6 shots a round where i am hitting some type of recovery shot
Correct. Say you snap hook a drive on a difficult hole...150m down but into trouble. If you can hit a recovery and advance it 120m or so...you are hitting a wedge to an 8 iron at the hole. Good golfers will get a par sometimes...mostly bogies with the odd double. Compared to a recovery that just gets you back into play...just. You have 200 plus. Hit a bad one next and boom you are racking up 7s, 8s and nines. Massive difference if it happens on 3, 4 or more holes.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I need some chipping advice. I’m right arm strong but play left handed. When I practice chipping I skull fk it or hit it fat. Same as when playing. Here’s the interesting part, when I practice chipping just with my right hand on the club (still left handed) I chip like a legend. I’m considering chipping just with my right hand in comp.
Why is my left hand interfering with my chipping?

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Pres any ideas?...I would say make sure that most your weight is on your right (front) foot and you turn your body at contact (not just use your arms) to try and get a consistent low point in the swing path. I would like to watch you hit one handed bunker shots though!
My bunker shots are usually pretty good.

I need some chipping advice. I’m right arm strong but play left handed. When I practice chipping I skull fk it or hit it fat. Same as when playing. Here’s the interesting part, when I practice chipping just with my right hand on the club (still left handed) I chip like a legend. I’m considering chipping just with my right hand in comp.
What club?
Range?

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
There's a 'Golfs greatest Lessons' episode (hosted by the blonde chick with the um, big, um... You know) that aired recently that was on chipping. Mickelson gave a masterclass of probably 5 different shots explained in a few minutes. It was amazing. His go to chip is the ball back level with his right heel. This gives the best contact. See if you can look that episode up. I think Tom Watson is on it too.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Would you say you use your body much chipping and pitching? or is it still and quiet? Does your chest face the hole when your finished?
Not a lot is still due to the chipping yips. This has developed and got worse over the last 15 years after my three daughters were born. No time to both practice and play. Before that I would boldly say that I had nearly the best short game at my club.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not a lot is still due to the chipping yips. This has developed and got worse over the last 15 years after my three daughters were born. No time to both practice and play. Before that I would boldly say that I had nearly the best short game at my club.
I just logged on to say you probably have the tips. 😞 I had an issue last year after a lesson where I couldn't take the club back to start my backswing. No issues on practice swings, but when I addressed the ball I would literally stand there for 20 seconds frozen. I stopped playing for a bit and tried to 'forget' the problem. How do you go when practicing chipping?

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I found the clip Top Tips of Xmas: Chip and flop with Phil Mickelson | Golf Channel Everyone should watch this. Really helped me when deciding which shot to play.

Back