Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Claw grip has really added some consistency to my putting. Lines are tight, just need to work on distance control now. My right hand was way to involved in the stroke before.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Claw grip has really added some consistency to my putting. Lines are tight, just need to work on distance control now. My right hand was way to involved in the stroke before.
Watchin a Rick Shiels vid recently and he was suggesting it for ppl that have yips as they occur in the palm of the hand and it is removed from the stroke.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Lesson with Rohan today. Tracking nicely. Still occasionally a bit of reverse pivot creeps in a tad. Was impressed when we worked on better rhythm...which feels like a little pause in transition. Flushed most my irons today.

Need to practice Driver with my planemate (which I avoid doing) as I am not as on plane with the big dog and is causing a few issues.

PanzerMan

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was thinking about trying new drivers but chose to practice hitting my current one better.
Researching attack angle and spin loft has been a lot of fun, I've definitely been hitting down too much and getting too much spin.

Was thinking about trying new drivers but chose to practice hitting my current one better.
Researching attack angle and spin loft has been a lot of fun, I've definitely been hitting down too much and getting too much spin.

Driver Shaft influences spin

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone in world golf take bigger divots than Lucas Herbert?
Watching him in the Irish Open he Is literally tearing up the course
The old golfer I love watching on you tube...Moe Norman used to say bacon strips...not pork chops.

Furthering on my last lesson we worked a bit on my driver being more on plane...before and after impact. I was going up too steeply after impact and the club head (with the camera down the line) was exiting through my head or worse...and not my shoulders. Anyway...I was swinging more around my body after impact and had great results on course today.

PanzerMan

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Driver Shaft influences spin
Yeah, don’t want something that’s too whippy....

Current shaft is an x-stiff and current head is from 2017. I was interested to see if there had been any change in heads from 2020-21 but thought technique improvements would be better. Getting the same carry distance but much more roll due to decreased spin.

Anyone using a driver from this year and can comment? Sim2, Epic, ST-Z, TSi3 etc?

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Current shaft is an x-stiff and current head is from 2017. I was interested to see if there had been any change in heads from 2020-21 but thought technique improvements would be better. Getting the same carry distance but much more roll due to decreased spin.

Anyone using a driver from this year and can comment? Sim2, Epic, ST-Z, TSi3 etc?
I cant add much but was it fitted for you?

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah it wasn't. Would love to cough up the big bucks for a fitting at Cool Clubs if there was enough benefit from doing so
What I would suggest then is definitely try to keep improving your technique....probably best under the eye of a pro, as sometimes if you are just doing it from YouTube instruction, you can think you are doing something but may not be doing it in reality (film yourself if you can). When the times right get a fitting as you are more than likely making some subtle compensations to get a result from what you are using. And they might not be the right thing to get best results for your swing in the long run. For example you are using extra stiff....which I think you have to be able generate pretty fast swing speed. If you are swinging to fast and lose rhythm your consistency might not be as good as it could be (not saying that's the case...a good fitter works that stuff out). It's a combination of both imo.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Watching a George Gankas tip the other day....it was a real good one I thought. It was on setup tilt (with the camera side on not down the line)....tilting the upper body from the waist away from the target (if that makes sense) should be non existent for a wedge...roughly 1 degree for a 9 iron...through to a max of 10 degree for Driver as rough guide line.

really difficult to say as were all different.

year of the shaft/head is inconsequential if the brand/name is not known.

shaft is so important.

If you can, a fitting even moreso.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Where most golfers go wrong with chipping, is they try an manipulate the shot instead of using the clubs bounce..

Here Is a pretty good educational video that I found on YouTube and what I would have taught my pupils back in the day...
TENACIOUS what would you have told your students had YouTube been around back in the day and they had gorged themselves on Phil Mickleson videos imploring them to have the ball miles back in the stance so they collect the ball first without exposing the leading edge?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Not seeing a lot of bounce in play here...

Yeh Phil is pretty adamant that it cannot be middle of stance. Of course there are multiple ways to do it.
I remember watching this vid and using the front foot, hands forward, weight forward method for a while, and it was relatively effective at the time.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Far out this is different for me. I have been doing this for a few weeks in the net and it does feel very solid. Ball striking has improved. I do have double jointed elbows and if I set up naturally without thinking about it the back (pointy part) of my elbow faces behind me....almost 90 degrees away from where Martin Chuck is suggesting it should be at address.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Played with a guy who bombed it. He hit the ball so high. My tee shots wouldn't go much above the trees. Tonight I moved the ball pretty much parallel to my left toe. It worked. Hit the ball much higher. Need to understand the shaft position at address. I drive normally 240m, 250m+ a good one and 230m into the wind. Seeing someone play 280m+ tee shots shows a different game.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I've been working on trying to keep the club more closed in the backswing to avoid big pushes/slices, seems to be working but does leave me prone to the odd big pull.

Another thing I want to try is something I saw on YouTube where they feel like they're "throwing" the club outwards to initiate the downswing. I tried it in a few air swings and it does feel like it adds a few mph in speed.

Back