Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

They have a combined 3 votes for the year (Rob against the worst side in a long long time)😂
Is that right? 3 (Coaches') votes combined from the 4 of them?

So, about 15% of the team have a tad over 1% of the possible votes :oops: :sadv1:, and only Rob got 3 against a rookie playing in the weakest side?
McHenry/Jones/Smith, zero??
That's a disgrace, if true.

Is that right? 3 (Coaches') votes combined from the 4 of them?

So, about 15% of the team have a tad over 1% of the possible votes :oops: :sadv1:, and only Rob got 3 against a rookie playing in the weakest side?
McHenry/Jones/Smith, zero??
That's a disgrace, if true.
Only 13 players on our list have coaches' votes this year, and over 80% are to Dawson, Soligo, Rankine, Laird, Walker and Crouch. They generally aren't shared around evenly.

Only 13 players on our list have coaches' votes this year, and over 80% are to Dawson, Soligo, Rankine, Laird, Walker and Crouch. They generally aren't shared around evenly.
Correct they are shared around the better players so it’s not surprising those 4 haven’t got any/many.
Nor should it surprise anyone that they will cop the most supporter angst.

Correct they are shared around the better players so it’s not surprising those 4 haven’t got any/many.
Nor should it surprise anyone that they will cop the most supporter angst.
That's true, though I'm not sure fan criticism on here tracks coaches' votes that neatly. Those 4 got coaches votes on 11 occasions last year and were still copping plenty on here, give or take Jones who I think got less criticism last year as his performances were much better. Other players who got coaches' votes on multiple occasions last year include Sloane, Murphy, Doedee and Keays.

Only 13 players on our list have coaches' votes this year, and over 80% are to Dawson, Soligo, Rankine, Laird, Walker and Crouch.
That's good info, thanks :thumbsupv1:. I had wondered about the rest.
Looks like the 6 you mentioned are carrying the team, so to speak.
Do you know what the spread is like in Top5-8/ Top4 sides, or would that be typical?
They generally aren't shared around evenly.
Yes, the % I used didn't take into account other non-standout players. I wondered how many others have scored zero to three votes.
Do you know where I could find a team total summary, please? (anybody)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know what the spread is like in Top5-8/ Top4 sides, or would that be typical?

Yes, the % I used didn't take into account other non-standout players. I wondered how many others have scored zero to three votes.
Votes can be found here: https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/th...r-of-the-year-award/leaderboard/2024/20250110

Unfortunately, there's no club-by-club breakdown, and the leaderboard only covers the top 20 players (Dawson is Adelaide's only representative, currently equal 13th).

The votes are there for every game. You'll have to do the legwork yourself, to figure out how the other clubs' votes have been distributed.

Not sure if it's summarised anywhere that I can link, but votes for the first 9 games are below, with the number of games in which the player received votes in parenthesis.

29 - Jordan Dawson (4)
22 - Jake Soligo (4)
22 - Izak Rankine (4)
10 - Rory Laird (1)
8 - Taylor Walker (2)
8 - Matt Crouch (3)
6 - Mark Keane (2)
4 - Darcy Fogarty (2)
3 - Josh Worrell (1)
3 - Reilly O'Brien (1)
2 - Ben Keays (2)
1 - Josh Rachele (1)
1 - Mitch Hinge (1)

Dawson led the way last year too, the main shifts have been Soligo is in the votes a lot more (got votes in two games last year), and Hinge has fallen off a bit (was our 5th highest vote winner last year). The rest of the top 6 is the same.

This site shows all the coaches’ votes
Under the “Select statistical categories” tab select “Show all” and scroll across the stats a little to find every player’s total # of votes and # of matches they’ve received them in, you can filter by team too. Under the header “Match Stats” you can find the voting breakdown for every game as well

Last edited:
Thanks to Vader NSolis and bonehilda above, appreciated :thumbsupv1: .

13 players got votes, probably a reflection of the 3-5-1 results. 28 times out of a possible 90 that Crows players could have received votes. Wow.

Dawson, Soligo, Rankine stand-outs; we'd be so cactus without them.

Thanks to Vader NSolis and bonehilda above, appreciated :thumbsupv1: .

13 players got votes, probably a reflection of the 3-5-1 results. 28 times out of a possible 90 that Crows players could have received votes. Wow.

Dawson, Soligo, Rankine stand-outs; we'd be so cactus without them.

A real indictment on our player development, 5 years in and our best two players are recent trades into the club.

Imagine how (more) screwed we'd be without those two trades.

5 is too young to see all your favourite transformers slaughtered.

The hot rod comes in for optimus. ffs.
watches Ironhide get killed execution style

giphy.gif

A real indictment on our player development, 5 years in and our best two players are recent trades into the club.

Imagine how (more) screwed we'd be without those two trades.
This is true but I think you also need to take into account the age profile of the group. Trades are usually mature age, and mature age players are usually better.

Since the we cleaned out the list in 2020 most of our players are either drafted since then, in which case they are still young and you wouldn't expect them to be highly influential yet, traded in since then, or established players we chose to retain in the rebuild. At this stage you'd still expect our most influential players to be from the retained group (Walker, Smith, Laird, Crouch, O'Brien etc) or mature agers we picked up since then through trades or drafting (Dawson, Rankine, Hinge, Keays). We have a notable lack of players in the age range where they usually play their best football, and a bunch of the ones we do have are in that last group.

Our poor drafting in the 2016-2019 years is a factor here too as normally you'd expect to have more players who were on the list when the rebuild commenced and are coming into their best years now, similar to someone like Rankine. The only players from that cohort who seem to be turning that corner the way you'd hope are Fogarty and Worrell, but we'd be hoping the 'drafted' group comes on the way Soligo has in the coming years and we can add Thilthorpe, Rachele etc. to the group of highly influential players.

No, it’s a long history that follows people around

Just like Alex couldn’t reinvent himself overnight, it takes time to undo years and years of a well earned reputation

The nerve on that guy to call me pessimistic. I created one of the most positive threads of all time. Of ALL TIME!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back