Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game I felt better about Cook than I've read on here, so will watch replay for that.

Fog was big. That fake / running shot on the left that only just fell short was Tex-esque.
That is the Fog I wanted to see in the first few rounds.

Not just up forward but his off ball work between the arcs.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The point isn't about a comparison between coaches.

The point is about unnecessary risk to an obviously injured player. This isn't talking about game plan.
Ok by people who are you referring to?

If it’s posters, I for one only praised him in comparison to Nicks who doesn’t take ownership. Pretty sure other posts were on the same path.

LOVED this retort:
F**k them.
THIS! all day long, forever.

Not so much this, though.
In reality, they've got a couple of decent mids, some absolute spuds, and guys who are genuinely cooked, all being led by the worst coach in the league.
Nicks is ours, all ours :sadv1: .

What do you mean no depth?

Their reserves kicked 8.14 to go with their 5.18 from their senior team!

Combined score of 13.32 to our 28.13
That is poor coaching/gameplan

They play 90% chaos ball and rely on individual talent instead of system.

Good pressure opposition, your easy shots on goal dry up.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have to say I'm surprised at some of the negativity in this thread. Showdown wins aren't ever to be sneezed at. Yes they butchered shots on goal but we forced them into rushed kicks from bad areas. Our pressure was excellent. Our ball movement is getting back to 2023 standard. We seem to be building.

We're seeing excellent growth from at least half a dozen young players. Our defensive unit looks like it'll one day soon be capable of taking us deep into September. We're dangerous up forward. If we can snag a free agent mid or find a gem or two from the seconds, we'll should be a top four side in 2025.

Three Showdown wins in a row.

There's a lot to be positive about.
Since our first 3 weeks, we are putting together a decent season in what is definitely the hardest part of our draw. All the key stats that made us such a strong scoring team in 2023 have returned since then (top 6 in all categories) and we have an emerging, potentially elite, defensive six for the next decade. Also finally debuted Curtin too. Hard to not be a little bit more optimistic atm.

Crouch's game not getting enough credit, very much up there with his Carlton performance. Just so strong in the contest and allows us to keep the ball moving forward. Putting together a strong season.

Himmelberg actually had a decent 2nd half after starting very slowly, still easily our best option until RT is fit. Our forwardline looks a lot more threatening with him instead of Gollant/Burgess.

Surely Rankine has a goal of the year contender? He collected that ball on the wing, broke the Houston tackle and then nailed the kick from 50 with the outside of his boot!
Completely agree with Crouch. He also got the ball 3-4 times in that last quarter and just held onto it causing a stopage. Real smart play from him all game.

This is completely backwards I think. People on this board notice mistakes a lot more than they notice players who just contribute nothing, but just because you notice someone messing up doesn't mean their net contribution was negative. A player who wins the footy and does some good and some bad things with it is usually a lot better than a player who never touches the ball.
I should have added someone that can improves vs someone who seems to play at their level and had half an outlier year.
Cook is still under a years worth of games and until now had no continuity, jones has had the most gold passes of anyone since his debut.
I’m happy to give cook a few more games and then delist if he doesn’t get better.
Not keep him around because we paid pick 16 or so for him.

Since our first 3 weeks, we are putting together a decent season in what is definitely the hardest part of our draw. All the key stats that made us such a strong scoring team in 2023 have returned since then (top 6 in all categories) and we have an emerging, potentially elite, defensive six for the next decade. Also finally debuted Curtin too. Hard to not be a little bit more optimistic atm.

Every team we've played against and lost is in the Top 8, aside from GC who are sitting 9th...

A voice of reason:
No, you're completely wrong .....as all are for the angst at subbing Curtin

Obviously Smith was selected Sub for a reason ......any player debuting in a high pressure game, is going to be losing his legs in the last qtr ....that last qtr was going to be frenetic, having a fresh HBF able to come into the game was perfect
I'm not 100% about "perfect" and I really don't like Nicks, but I can see why Curtin was subbed out.
No harm/damage done.
Curtin looked very happy in the rooms post-game with his parents and huge 16yo brother.

He was brought on to lock the game down. 7 Defensive pressure acts in 17% game time is huge. He wasn't brought on for his run and carry when we're trying to protect a lead.

Boggles the mind that some people don't understand this stuff.
I understand that perfectly, but I don't personally agree with that philosophy. For me, the best defence is offence.

How much of that was due to the 5-day turnaround, after playing in Hobart? How much of it was a desire to play low-risk football, protecting the lead we had already established? How much of it was Port cutting off the corridor, compared with Adelaide's not going there in the first place?

I don't buy the 5-day turnaround as an excuse. It's a showdown. It may be in a meaningless fixture, not here.

If you're desiring to play low-risk football with 15 minutes on the clock, you're in a full blown panic.

It's all Port cutting it off that drove that low-risk panic.

Yes!
Compare that to last season and the games WE lost from poor goalkicking.
Nice change. Refreshing.
Game-winning.

Our "groove" is when the players decide to go for it onfield, in spite of Nicks, not because of him (I reckon).
Two patches of play:

1) last 8-10 minutes of the first quarter, maybe less than that, when they changed their pace, slowed down and PA got 2 junktime goals <== Nicks' fault.
2) first 10-15 minutes of last quarter, repeated 1) above and PA got to within 15 points at one stage.
Nicks, again.
But yes, 3-5 is SOOOO much better :thumbsupv1: than the crappy, defensive-Nicks-driven 0-4 start :poov1:.

Disagree; it was BEAUTFUL. :sneaky:
I wallowed in their 5.18; it was an overdose of schadenfreude.

Our "groove" is when others let us cut through the corridor at will. Nick's problem is he's yet to add in another layer to that, as teams have now worked out how to defend against us for extended periods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nank not recognised as much as he should have been. Had a couple of tricky moments but so calm under pressure
I think he has been so damn consistent that we all start to take it for granted considering how young and how few games in he is. Between Max, Nank and Soligo this year they demonstrate abilities far exceeding their experience.

I don't buy the 5-day turnaround as an excuse. It's a showdown. It may be in a meaningless fixture, not here.
It doesn't matter what match you're playing. If you're playing on a 5-day break, having travelled back from Tasmania, then fatigue is definitely a legitimate consideration. Saying "it's a showdown" is just crap.
If you're desiring to play low-risk football with 15 minutes on the clock, you're in a full blown panic.
Garbage again. Adelaide's game plan from the first 3 quarters, of running & gunning through the middle, was high risk high reward. Kicking it long down the wings minimised the risk of Port getting a quick break, and scoring a goal.
It's all Port cutting it off that drove that low-risk panic.
I don't know where you get this certainty from. I suspect it's more to do with the all-pervading pessimism which has infested the board in recent weeks (and made most threads unreadable). I'm thinking it's a bit from columns A, B, C & D. Your insistance that it's all D is bizarre.
Our "groove" is when others let us cut through the corridor at will.
Once again, that's the pessimistic view. You're saying they let us. The reverse view, equally valid, is that we take control of it through our own positive actions.
Nick's problem is he's yet to add in another layer to that as teams have now worked out how to defend against us for extended periods.
I don't know WTF was going on for the first 3 weeks, but we've looked pretty good for the last 4 weeks, during which time we've beaten Carlton & Port, and were one umpiring blunder away from beating Essendon. Those are (or would have been) 3 very decent scalps.

The power... gun mids... average everywhere else. Mentally inept with no toughness. Complete crisis of identity. Coached by a guy who has NFI

Their ability to stay focused and handle pressure is non existent.

I think its more mental / personality than it is phsycial for them.

F()&()* ^ em!

I think he has been so damn consistent that we all start to take it for granted considering how young and how few games in he is. Between Max, Nank and Soligo this year they demonstrate abilities far exceeding their experience.
Agree … Nank needs recognition for his game last night …. shows a calmness with ball in hand that defies his age & experience

He’s going to be a very good player

The power... gun mids... average everywhere else. Mentally inept with no toughness. Complete crisis of identity. Coached by a guy who has NFI

Their ability to stay focused and handle pressure is non existent.

I think its more mental / personality than it is phsycial for them.

F()&()* ^ em!
Dawson, Soligo and both Rachele and Rankine has shown they play quality midfield. We are catching up to them.

Speak for yourself. I am all in favour of anything that keeps the heat off Ken Hinkley. I like him right where he is.
Thats every Crows supporter comfy security blanket, having Ken as coach of Port, we are safe from them winning the flag.:rainbow:

Just confirming you were please with him not getting a touch outside of a kickout?
If we just accept that Smith had no impact on the game after coming on as a sub, that still doesn't it was a tactical error to make the sub. It might be a selection error to pick Smith, but nothing can be done about that during the game. You obviously pick the sub with the intent of using them at some point, and Smith did pretty well in the final quarter of the Carlton game and is an experienced player. Bringing him on at 3/4 time is pretty reasonable regardless of the results that follow.

that midfield domination by port reminded me of the gary ayres days, we'd start well then port or collingwood would pop a guy or two behind the play and we'd have no answers but to keep bombing it in

If we just accept that Smith had no impact on the game after coming on as a sub, that still doesn't it was a tactical error to make the sub. It might be a selection error to pick Smith, but nothing can be done about that during the game. You obviously pick the sub with the intent of using them at some point, and Smith did pretty well in the final quarter of the Carlton game and is an experienced player. Bringing him on at 3/4 time is pretty reasonable regardless of the results that follow.
All that is fine, but the coach effectively saying smith was “good” is taking the piss as is saying we should agree with that, as Wayne did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back