Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

agree with all this except the bit about Berg. He is a dud and we will never be a decent team if he is in it. Can we draft the junior Murray in the MSD and try him out?
We are a decent team with him in now - decent, not great. We're a better team with him in than we are with Gollant or Burgess in. We're a better team with TT in. Those are our options, so there's not a lot of fantasising about what we'd like with some mythical player in his place.

Some of us know we can be better - and could have been better in the past - we are angry we squandered wins in search of continuity etc

We also know that 1 win doesnt change what went before. The AFC has a tendency to get ahead of themselves. Pat themselves on the back saying job well done and losing focus

We are here to make sure they dont

There most certainly is and we can only hope for more

Posting anonymously online is a wank. If you think you're holding the club accountable you're kidding yourself.

Heard tonight that Smith absolutely spat the dummy this week after being told he was sub. Entitled, cooked, campaigner.
Honestly not surprised. Remember Sauce. Thinking he had more years in him and ended up at GWS for a few games before returning. Talia did medicals elsewhere because he felt he had more to give. He didn't. If only these senior players realised when their time is up (like Douglas and Mackay).

Smithers has been atrocious this year, yet he can't even admit that. Also, I get it's a Showdown and you want to play in those, but still. His form has been terrible to the point that he should be playing SANFL weeks ago, but they would never drop him.

Honestly not surprised. Remember Sauce. Thinking he had more years in him and ended up at GWS for a few games before returning. Talia did medicals elsewhere because he felt he had more to give. He didn't. If only these senior players realised when their time is up (like Douglas and Mackay).
Douglas & Mackay? Douglas is in the Sauce/Talia club - he wanted to go on, but the club said no, and he couldn't find any takers.

Mackay retired of his own volition, despite the club being willing to offer him another contract.

Oh dear.... not sure anyone has caught this yet, tempted to let the Port board know...

I've spotted Rozee trying to be subtle and stretch the hammy out less than 5 mins into the first Q.

He then feels his hammy, so you can bet he's aware of it THAT early into the game...

Footage is at 7.45 on the full replay

View attachment 1977850
He had a kick from just outside 50 about 5 mins into the 1st qtr, wanted to hand it off, didnt want to try and make the distance, tried to run around the main on the mark and it was smothered. I said to my mate that his hamstring was no good straight away
An injured Rozee playing actively helped us win, thanks Kenny

Douglas & Mackay? Douglas is in the Sauce/Talia club - he wanted to go on, but the club said no, and he couldn't find any takers.

Mackay retired of his own volition, despite the club being willing to offer him another contract.
Oh, didn't know that about Douglas. I have great respect for Mackay and how his career finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a kick from just outside 50 about 5 mins into the 1st qtr, wanted to hand it off, didnt want to try and make the distance, tried to run around the main on the mark and it was smothered. I said to my mate that his hamstring was no good straight away
An injured Rozee playing actively helped us win, thanks Kenny
Yup. I could tell he chose to handpass on occasions he would've normally kicked it and at times there wasn't even heaps of pressure. Good for the Crows, bad for my fantasy team.

Good:
  • Fogarty. Started strong and continued to stand tall all game. That was the most marks he's had all year (9)
  • Soligo: well deserved medal winner. Was easily our best midfielder
  • Worrell, Keane and Michalanney were huge in defence. Butts was okay.

Bad:
  • Port's goal kicking. They had about 3 that hit the post. We were pretty lucky in that sense.
  • Our kick ins. Like dejavu, it plays out the same again and again.
  • ROB continues to average his 12-14 possessions, 1-3 marks a game and 40 hitouts. For someone that has elite running ability, you'd think he'd contribute around the ground more.

Ugly:
- No one expected Rozee to play and the end result showed why. Big mistake by Port and their medical team, yet again.

I was at the game last night, and had the opportunity of viewing the game from two different vantage points in each half (switched seats with a family member).

The first half, I was trying closely to watch the general structure of the teams, and it became really obvious that Port had absolutely no game plan for our quick slingshot from defence. One well directed kick to a player in the midfield exposed their structure immediately, and they were scrambling to catch up. It was as if they were playing their own structure without any regard to what the Crows were doing?

I think they tightened this up in the second half, particularly the last quarter. However, I noticed in the second half we were playing an extra floating man out the back in defence every time we were able to lock the ball in our forward 50. . Port had committed to the extra man in defence, and the slap on the boot out of pressure often played into our floater's hands (most of the time this was Worrell). We trusted our forwards to get it done a man down.

It was obvious Port did not trust their defensive line to hold up without the extra player. Really killed a lot of momentum for them (especially in the third quarter).

Watching the fourth quarter live, it appeared that the Crows were back to slow, boring, non-daring, approach - kick it down the line, create stoppage, congested game in Port's forward 50. It was as if Port had taken away our run. But I think, on reflection, it was a deliberate ploy which emulated the approach other teams have used to some degree of success against Port. Congest their forward 50, trust the defence to hold, take every single rare opportunity when it arises.

And, it worked. Completely took away Port's run, took away the open space to find targets in their forward 50, and our defence simply outplayed their forwards. And when we got the opportunities (Rachele and Keays), we took them.

Agree with the approach or not, I think it was a deliberate coaching tactic.

My two cents anyway.

Last edited:
We have Welsh next year so don't think we push any further down the Gollant path
So looking forward to having Welsh in the team, was talking to one of his junior Eagles coach's a couple of weeks back and he is so bullish on Welsh, one of, if not the best he has coached he said, and I quote "he doesn't know how good he is, and when he does know he will be elite"

Wtf? Smith had zero impact.
Is impact only measured by possessions ?

Impact can be tackles, not letting an oppo player get free versus a tired rookie who may give an oppo player too much separation

And what about direction and calming influence on a very young backline in a frenetic and close finish ?

And yet is was only a couple of weeks back when he made a couple of mistakes you said that’s what you get with young players….
It’s a true statement i made …. which in your normal method extrapolates to a specific player weeks later

one statement doesn’t contradict the other

Just watched the last quarter again to see what Smith did. He didn't do much and neither did his opponent.

BUT I didn't realise how well we actually played in that last quarter. There were some huge individual efforts that didn't end with a possession for that player.

A real good team effort. Boy did they crack in hard. Just looked like they wanted it more.

It’s a true statement i made …. which in your normal method extrapolates to a specific player weeks later

one statement doesn’t contradict the other
But you made a deal about it whereas most us just accepted it. You also failed to acknowledge that our senior players are also guilty of making mistakes, instead you singled out the young guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back